Low Blood Platelets

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Rochelle

Low Blood Platelets

Postby Rochelle » Wed May 24, 2006 8:19 pm

Hi Everyone
I am Stage IV and started the Erbitux/Irenotecan today regimen today.

I was wondering if anyone has had stubborn low blood platelets

1. due to 10 or more treatments of radiation-3 weeks have passed and my platelets are 69 :o The nurse misread the test results as 169 and I was given chemo today.

2. due to having chemotherapy for over 1 year and immune system having difficulty "bouncing back".

3. low platelets due an individuals kind of cancer unable to rapidly produce new cells to fight the disease (a comment made to a nurse by my Onocologist as a guess why platelets are low)

:?
Rochelle

michele

low blood platelets

Postby michele » Thu May 25, 2006 7:33 am

Rochelle,

I also had some platelet issues after only 2 treatments and had to take a break for a week to rebound them. Then, they decreased the dose of one of my meds that they thought might be the main culprit. The chemo we get is very hard on our bone marrow...which produces the platelets as well as our other blood components. I most recently have had issues with hemoglobin and neutriphils. So, now I have to get shots each chemo session after completion to help keep those up. Unfortunately, there is not currently an injection for platelets that I am aware of. They transfuse if the get too low.

Sorry for the rambling. I hope you rebound quickly. I pray the chemo you mistakingly got by error doesn't drop your count too low.

michele
Diagnosed Dec 2005 stage 3C
LAR Dec 2005
Mom finished chemo for stage 3B Jan 2006
I had chemo Feb 2006-Aug 2007
Currently NED

Andrea

Postby Andrea » Thu May 25, 2006 10:28 am

Rochelle,
I had a problem getting treatments due to low platelets. Now after treatments I take Neuprogen on an almost daily basis up until I begin treatment again. It not only boosts my white blood cells but it has boosted my platelets as well. I believe there may be a bit of controversy over it. One nurse at my last clinic said it could inadvertantly stimulate cell production in abnormal cells as well. As for me I haven't had any know problems and am able to keep up with treatments.
Andrea

Rochelle

Thank you

Postby Rochelle » Thu May 25, 2006 11:11 am

Michele and Andrea-thank you for your advice. It sounds like both of you are doing well with your treatments :D

Continued Success to both of you with your chemotherapy regimens

Rochelle

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”