Where to begin?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
vickitwo

Re: Where to begin?

Postby vickitwo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:18 am

HardKnox wrote:
Voxx66 wrote:I am angry - as always - when I hear of another person getting this disease. I have a very personal grudge with CRC and am unlikely to ever get over it.

No truer words have ever been spoken or written than these.

I came to this site looking for information when my wife got sick, and now I'm emotionally invested in every one of you. It would be easy for me to walk away from all this but I can't, because I actually CARE that GrouseMan's wife is sick and I'm devastated that that pretty iceskater gal is sick and I'm sorry that everybody is sick. Goddammit I hate this disease. There has never, ever been ANYTHING that has made me so irrationally ANGRY. It SCARES me.

Best of luck GrouseMan and Mrs. GrouseMan.

Sorry to have cluttered up your thread with my ranting.

(I'm in NE Wisconsin. I love me some grouse too.)

HK

Ditto----It makes me angry too. :evil:
Vicki

DH Dx 1/2012 @ age 52
stage IV CC
transverse colon,omentum, cecum,liver,lungs,L5
9 rounds of Folfox, Avastin,
5FU/Leucovorin/Avastin
radiation tx to L5 and hips
Folfiri/Zaltrap
12/13/13 Folfox/Avastin
1/4/2014 passed away @ Hospice House- age 54

livingbyfaith

Postby livingbyfaith » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:50 pm

Skypup, thank you for your post about palliative care, I needed to see that today as yesterday liver oncologist said that was what they were doing to husband. She said he is probably too weak for chemo, they are putting a shunt in to allow more drainage of fluids from recent hernia surgery. I am scared. He is so thin, wonder when his body will take no more. Janet
Hubby 72 cc
Resctn colon 07 stage 3/11 15 cm liver met CEA 3000+
CPT 11, 12 xelox kras wild gall blddr rem 7-12 & abltn
liver stents bi-mo gilbert lng mets , cpt-11 3-13, 2 hernia surgeries2013 & liver abltn went to heaven 10-24-13

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:48 pm

OK - My wife had her third CT scan and CEA results. She had the CEA run last Tuesday the morning just before therapy, and the CT scan last Wednesday in the middle of her 9th treatment with Folfox and 7th with Avastin. She met with her oncologist this morning, and the CEA had dropped from 22.8 to 8 that Tuesday after a week off. So that is still trending downwards, CT scan showed much more shrinkage apparently, and the small nodes on her lung have apparently nearly disappeared she said. The pessimist that I am I know they are likely just below the resolution of the scanner or difficult for the radiologist to see now. She also said that the tumors are shrinking on her liver and spleen I guess, but I don't know how much. She is bringing a copy of the report home after she gets back from work so I will know more then. The Oncologist is very please with how things are going, as he is still very happy with how well she has tolerated the full FOLFOX and the Avastin combo. The treatment last week was the first that she felt any numbness in her feet, and she told me Saturday she had more pain in her finger tips that lingered longer this time as well. But She started working on her cross stitch needle work Saturday evening so it must not have been that bad. Blood work is still looking good though Platelets are staying just below the low range. So far they are not real concerned about that. The oncologist may start to reduce the oxi after the next treatment just to reduce any further neuropathy side effects, though I know he would like her to go out to the full 12 at the normal dose if she can. No plan yet after January. She would like a break, but I know the tumors will bounce back and I hope we could find some sort of in between maintenance, maybe 5-FU and Avastin for a while. I really don't want her to be off long and then him having to put her on Iri because of progression, when in fact the 5-FU Avastin might continue to work. I think she would hate losing her hair a great deal. Its been thinning on the Oxi as it is...

Well - that's the update for now. Regards,

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

Voxx66
Facebook Username: Michael Void Ward

Postby Voxx66 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:54 pm

I know you try not to get overly excited so as not to be disappointed but this sounds like fairly good news. CEA drop plus shrinkage? That is positive I think. I am very glad to hear this and hope it continues. Damned glad in fact.
DX and resect 10/2012 age 46
Stage IIa CRC
liver mets both lobes 8/2013
CEA 28
FOLFOX + Avastin 8/26/13 3 rounds
Folfox only 3 rds + rd 8
platelets low round 7,9,10 5FU only
1/14 CEA 1.0 y90
5fu
10/14 mets lung and peri
1/15 Folfiri

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:32 pm

Dude, never know if you are a realist, or a pessimist but generally agree with your approach. Better to expect bad news than to expect good news and get shot down in flames. Things change so quickly with CRC that you can't afford to be complacent.

Overall it sounds like a positive result, with the trend heading the way you want it to be.

I'll be happy for you and your wife. Love the fact that you are on the board (however I wish you didn't have reason to be here) and that you bring your knowledge, and a big dose of reality to the board.
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (39 Year old male at dx)
pT3N0M1 (wish that was M0)
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
FOLOFX April 2013 - Sep 2013
Clear Scan 03 Dec 2013 - August 2020
Port Out 26 March 2015

skypup

Postby skypup » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:36 pm

Hey, Grouseman, I'm so glad to read that your wife is responding to the chemo! Beat the damn mutants back!

With your background, you may know the answer to a question that's been kicking around in my brain. My onc told me 60% of people will get 40% shrinkage with chemo, but I don't know how long chemo regimens tend to work when they do work, statistically speaking. Do you have any idea?

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:00 pm

Skypup,

Unfortunately - I really don't have much information about what mutations and length a particular drug or drug combo will work for. That's mostly in the clinical arena of things, and requires large groups of people undergoing treatment for long periods and gathering up all the statistics. The FolFox/FolFir combos they have done this and based on the trials 12 cycles seemed to be about the norm for a large group of people and beyond that they don't seem to provide much further benefit from going longer statistically speaking - BUT this is statistically speaking.... Some may benefit, or by going longer not need to switch quite so soon. Others when enrolled in the trial might have already been far along in the mutation cycles, and benefited little from even the first few cycles. Remember everyone is different, but Insurance companies and oncologists that are only willing to follow the protocol will run the cycles on one, wait for progression (usually the break) and switch combo's assuming the first will no longer work because by definition you have now had progression. I think most of them take this too literally.

NOW I AM GOING TO SAY THIS LOUDLY - I AM NOT A DR of ONCOLOGY. I use to do drug discovery and my personal take is that the drugs should only be switched when the old drug combo if given in another set of cycles doesn't work at all any more. Or if you can no longer tolerate the side effects any more (ie Oxi vs Iri). I've not seen many folks on here after the 12 rounds with Oxy and maybe added Avastin go on with just 5-FU Avastin for a while without the Oxi as an example. I think that would be a lot more tolerable than switching out Oxi for Iri and maybe even Avastin for Erbitux at the same time as well, and could be of more benefit than quitting chemo for 3 to 6 months then jumping back in with something completely different. I am talking about stage IV folks not II or III on mop up chemo. Though I do see too many people progress from III to IV with liver or lung mets on this board, after having quit their chemo cycles, and moved on to monitoring. This makes me wonder if they stopped too soon, or a tiny met was already established that no one could see yet until it had a chance to grow without hindrance by some sort of chemo.

Preclinically speaking in the early days we use to see drug resistance to the cytotoxic drugs develop in a sub population of the tumor cells, that somehow always found a way to survive. Since they rapidly divide these would start to become dominate and the reason for progression. We were hitting them usually with single cytotoxins. We always wanted to know how they did it and in some instances I think we figured it out but had no way to reverse it once it occurred. Back in the early day's we didn't have the tools that we have now to figure that out. We are starting to get a better idea now, though we really know very little about everything that goes on inside a normal cell let alone a cancerous one. Now a days we are hitting them mechanistically from multiple directions, and that seems to have helped a lot. I often wonder what would happen if we mixed this up a great deal more? Would resistance occur if one week we used Oxy, the next week Iri? And also switched up Avastin, and Erbitux back and forth? Could we keep them knocked down longer with a better QOL? Could we kill them all? There are other drugs to add to the mix as well. Most not approved for colon cancer yet, but they might work well in combinations no one has tried yet either. We do try combinations often now in preclinical models with mice and If we see a benefit in a particular tumor type, that is usually the road it takes in the clinic. New drug in combination with an existing one against a particular sort of cancer, as that is most likely the fastest road to the market place. Likely it will work with other tumor types or other existing drugs, but a company can't afford to do studies with all combinations even with mice. Its way too expensive to do up front in people even by a huge pharma company. So once it's available for use in one type of cancer - some oncologists will set up a trial with another type of tumor or in combination with an existing drug. This is more cost effective as much by then is already known about each drug by itself.

What will really drive this better is if ALL patients tumors where genetically profiled, or better still more than once, after each progression to guide drug selection perhaps.

So I can be a little optimistic further out into future for others perhaps not yet diagnosed or who are Stage II or III folks, but remain pessimistic in my shorter term view concerning my wife's stage IV. I am sorry I don't have the answer you are looking for her. Its a very complex situation, and most of the time I think we are just throwing the dice, and if we are luck have weighed them in our favor sometimes. For me its better to be informed and have plenty of knowledge and understanding than not. It will let me make better decisions. Or at least try to get my wife to make better ones if I can. She isn't always receptive.

Regards,

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

Marian1961

Postby Marian1961 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:28 pm

I am curious about your statement concerning genetically testing/identifying each patients tumor cells. I am (slowly) understanding that in metatastic cases, the tumor of origin set up shop in a new location and can mutate in the new location to something different, and then refuse to respond to one chemo or another. Do you think, from one CRC person to another, that the cancers are so individual as to not be of the same structure? I have been frustrated from day one over what feels like cattle car treatment available to hundreds of thousands of individuals. This very board has people of very similar dx, followed by same tx and/or sx with two completely different outcomes. And I want to know why. Is there some clue in those that do well for long periods that needs to be studied? Is this part of the purpose for having each individual's tumor genetically tested/mapped?
Caregiver 53 brother
Dx 09/13 stage iv, met liver
Emergency stoma
? Chemo 09/30

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:45 pm

Marian
Interesting question and I am no Einstein but I would assume that the answer lies in the very mutations that Grouseman was just talking about. Whilst someone may have the same cancer staging, same position of primary, same invasion of depth into bowel wall (T staging) I would assume that the actual genetic, and thus cancer mutations are vastly different which makes the cancers themselves vastly different even if they are both "CRC"
I can't recall where, but I saw a genetic model of cancer cells between 2 cancers and it had vallys and peaks where the mutuations ocurred in the same cancer. This really showed me that cancer has so many different pathways that whilst they are both cancer they are vastly different hence the vastly different responses.
Thus Grousemans point of genetic profiling is a good one in that if you can focus the treatment based on the genetic make up of the cancer you are using more of a targeted treatment rather than the "one size fits all" response that gives the best generic response but misses completely in some individuals.
Love the topic guys and would love Grouseman to post some more insight into this.
Put it this way, if GM could do more for his wife he would, there is no doubt about it and I don't think that for one minute that if he had an insight that he thought would help he would not be pushing it. But the issue is that we as patients don't make the decisions as there are insurance companies and governments paying for all of this and that is where the issue sits.
Kiwi
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (39 Year old male at dx)
pT3N0M1 (wish that was M0)
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
FOLOFX April 2013 - Sep 2013
Clear Scan 03 Dec 2013 - August 2020
Port Out 26 March 2015

skypup

Postby skypup » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:29 pm

GrouseMan wrote: I often wonder what would happen if we mixed this up a great deal more? Would resistance occur if one week we used Oxy, the next week Iri? And also switched up Avastin, and Erbitux back and forth? Could we keep them knocked down longer with a better QOL? Could we kill them all?

What an interesting idea! Unfortunately, no one drug company is going to be investigating that. :?

Btw, I am definitely one who progressed because a tiny met was missed originally. I didn't know at the start that it was on me to communicate my PET results to my surgeon. My oncologist didn't. Now I know a lot better... Sadder but wiser...

Voxx66
Facebook Username: Michael Void Ward

Postby Voxx66 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:50 pm

I know there is a siteman study that rotates Folfox and folfiri in one leg of it to try to answer some of these questions.
DX and resect 10/2012 age 46
Stage IIa CRC
liver mets both lobes 8/2013
CEA 28
FOLFOX + Avastin 8/26/13 3 rounds
Folfox only 3 rds + rd 8
platelets low round 7,9,10 5FU only
1/14 CEA 1.0 y90
5fu
10/14 mets lung and peri
1/15 Folfiri

Redhank

Postby Redhank » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:54 pm

I certainly believe that oncologist should be more adventurous, rather than just following the guidelines. Anyone with measurement and calculation can check on the nccn guidelines and follow that, so where do oncologist stand? Oncosurgeons can try to cure it, they take chances. Oncologist should take some, mix it up.

Isn't the reason that one drug stops working after a while is because the cancer cell become resistant, develop some sort of mechanism to counteract the drug. Doesn't it make sense to keep the tumor guessing!!!??. Like grouse man said, switching chemo, if not every other week, then every 3 cycles or every 6 cycles. Do FOLFOX 3 cycles, then when that bloody cancer thinks it knows, hit it with FOLFIRI . Just keep that damn thing confused!!!

What about developing a vaccine for individual. Attach strong antigenic property to the mutated cell and inject. Can't it bring some response from our lymphocytes, and then recognizing that the whole cancer is not the normal cell of our body, lymphocytes going on a war with the rest of the cancer???
Sometimes feel like giving a cup of the ascitic fluid to my dad like polio vaccination!!

Just getting irritated and feeling helpless!

But definitely, not hopeless.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”