To eat or not to eat...before infusion

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Ashlee H.

Re: To eat or not to eat...before infusion

Postby Ashlee H. » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:52 pm

I think the ONC gave me steroids during my first chemo. But I must have complained about something, because he took me off them, and I've never had them again. Infusion nurses said this is unusual. I still have to work, and will take a few days off for chemo, allowing me to sleep for 5 days if I want to. Maybe that is why the ONC removed them - knew I couldn't have a bad crash a few days into it and continue to work my job.
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

lala69

Postby lala69 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:10 pm

I fast for 40 hours before chemo and then eat only a very light snack (<100 cal) the 2 days that I'm on the pump. I have done this for my last 9 chemo sessions. I told my oncologist and 2 liver surgeons, since I don't wont to compromise the rest of my body, and they are ok with it (although not encouraging it).
I do it because otherwise I don't think i can take the chemo. My first round of chemo after colon resection was horrible, I thought I would die. I was not fasting them although I knew about the research. I even contacted the PI of the group doing the research and he kindly replied back with instructions on the fasting. I finally decided not to fast at that time because I was underweight.

When I was diagnosed with mets I decided to try the fasting, and it has been much easier since. I recover well from the chemo rounds. I am still underweight (guess is becoming my normal), so it was a difficult decision. But giving my terrible experience with the first chemo round, I will be even more underweight if I don't fast. Now at least I am able to keep my weight more or less stable from chemo to chemo session. Lose a little during the fasting and then gain it back since my appetite, smell and taste stays good.

I would recommend anybody starting the fasting to do it slowly, as in only a few hours to start with and then increase it. The first time was really difficult, so I ended up having a snack. And obviously, talk to your doctors first about it!

Clinical trials are going on at the moment and recruting, here is the one at Mayo Clinic:
http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01175837
43 y/o female (ileum cancer)
Oct 2011 primary resected (stage III) FOLFOX after
Feb 2013 liver mets
Feb 2013-May 2013 Folfiri+Erbitux
June 2013 failed liver resection because of micro-mets outside
Aug 2013- ? Folfiri+Erbitux

Kathryn in MN
Facebook Username: Kathryn Finn-Blume

Postby Kathryn in MN » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:55 pm

I would suggesting eating smaller amounts. If he doesn't want to eat prior to infusion, making up for a whole day of food after getting chemo is not a good thing... Have him try little portions rather than a large meal.
CRC AUG09 Age 47
Sig Res T4a N2a Mx, KRAS mut codon13
Mets bones & nodes
FOLFOX, FOLFIRI, Avastin, Radiation
Irinotecan, Zaltrap & STAR RFA
APR13 pleurisy & ascites - more chemo & draining
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kathrynblume

lala69

Postby lala69 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:29 pm

Hi again,
Just to clarify, I'm not recommending fasting. Since there are no finished studies yet, there is no way to tell how the majority of people will react to fasting, or how the different chemos work with it. I was just telling my case, and how it helps my particular situation.
Glad to read that Ashlee had also good results with it!!
cheers.
43 y/o female (ileum cancer)
Oct 2011 primary resected (stage III) FOLFOX after
Feb 2013 liver mets
Feb 2013-May 2013 Folfiri+Erbitux
June 2013 failed liver resection because of micro-mets outside
Aug 2013- ? Folfiri+Erbitux

Steve Marethyu

Postby Steve Marethyu » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:22 pm

Late in my treatment, I would start feeling sick about Wednesday evening before my Friday treatments. That meant I didn't eat much those final two days, but I did usually try to eat something. Once treatment started though I never ate. I remember a few times people had brought in cookies and once pizza and they sounded awful to me. I had a tough time with nausea, though, so following my plan is probably not smart! The idea of fasting kind of intrigues me. I wonder if that would have helped me.
Dx Stage I rectal; 19 lymph nodes clear; age 28.
APR in 1/08; no chemo
Lung met 5/11: VATS 7/11
Folfox/Xelox 9 times; Avastin (1 dose, major bleeding);
13 & 14- Sacrum met, trad. radiation & proton
4/14- severe neuropathy right leg
1/16-4/17- 6 rounds folfiri; Lots of 5-FU/Av
8/17-6/18- Irinotecan and erbitux; severe, unpredictable diarrhea
16 month chemo break, bc I needed it
10/19- multiple, bilateral lung mets; largest ~7.5 cm; persistent cough
11/11/19- resuming Irino and erb and dreading it.

horizon

Postby horizon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:24 pm

justin case wrote:If I didn't eat, I felt like poop all day at work! When I ate, I had the energy to continue with my normal schedule, and I was tolerable around other people! (go figure) :roll: The day's I didn't eat, I found it hard to go to work after treatment. It was more noticeable to my employer, as I spent more time away from my duties.
Regards,
Michael

I was the same way. I always ate a lunch before I had an infusion.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”