It's the Big R now for me - UPDATE

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Guinevere

It's the Big R now for me - UPDATE

Postby Guinevere » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:40 pm

This is copied from the mCRC thread but I know some don't go there and would want to know what's going with me.

Sorry to be so long in bringing y'all up to date on my CT. I've trying to absorb what it all means or might mean. The newest tumor has grown to within a millimeter of the old tumor. I guess it was tired of being runty. :roll: So, Iritux has played out. I'm going to try the Big R - that's right - Regorafenib. Frankly, having read a lot of the experiences people on here have had with it, I'm scared s*itless. However, I'm hoping that maybe the side effects won't be so severe with me. It's a hope I know and really not one based in any kind of reality since I've gotten the majority of the usual side effects with some rare ones thrown in for fun with all the other chemos I've been on. The upside? I'll be off steroids. I know the damage they can do to the intestines and other internal tissues and, after being on infused chemo almost every week for the past two years, I've become concerned about that aspect of the steroids. So I'm off of that now. Yea! Also, the Erbi rash will go away and not come back. My onc was horrified at what my left eye looked like this morning and shocked when I told her it was much better today.

I'm the first patient she's put on the Big R so I'm kind of a guinea pig. Only one other patient at the center has been on it and it wasn't a success for her but I'm aware of the odds. Since I'm only the second patient at the center to be prescribed this treatment, there's a delay because they have to get it and see if the company will foot the cost of the chemo. I'm hoping in the meantime, my feet will heal and I'll get a few good foot days before plunging back in with a chemo that's known to cause HFS.

Copied from my FB post just a little while ago - "On a way more fun note, I got an awesome pastrami and Swiss on rye at a sandwich place in Paris in addition to a really good slice of lemon meringue pie. I think I've decided that life's too short and I should have pie when it's available. One piece is plenty. We also had to kill time waiting for a prescription to be filled so we went to Beall's and looked at baby stuff. These two weeks until Michelle has her sonogram and finds out the sex of the baby are going to be so hard!! I could have spent a fortune that I don't have on cutey patootey baby stuff! Couldn't shop long because my back started hurting again but I plan to go back after the 12th."

It's stuff like I wrote about above that gives me the impetus to keep going on and trying to do what I can. My onc also mentioned that if this doesn't work, we might try different combos of chemos that I've already been on.

So that's where I am right now. I feel like crying but the tears haven't come yet. It kind of feels like a volcano in my chest so I hope I get some relief by crying or laughing soon. I got about 2 hours sleep last night. Hopefully, I'll not have to deal with insomnia tonight. That would be the coup de grace.

God bless ~
Guinevere
(Mighty Queen fighting the Beast!)
Last edited by Guinevere on Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Re: It's the Big R now for me

Postby NWgirl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:50 pm

Well crap. I say go for the pie.

It reminds me of when I did a bike ride across Iowa - RAGBRAI (Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa). Kathryn is very familiar with it. I did it years ago - in what I refer to as my former life. Pie was a big part of this ride - all the small towns we went through and stayed in overnight had pie baking contests. I remember one town we stayed in there was a huge red barn. Inside it was table after table after table of slices of every pie imaginable. I picked out 3 - one apple and I can't even remember what the other two were but I'm guessing one was coconut of some sort. I sat there in the grass, in Iowa, in my bike shorts, eating pie until I felt like I could throw up. Good times.

Enjoy your pie. And anything else that brings you comfort. I'm not even that big of a pie person. But "when in Rome" eh? I still have a picture of me loaded up with pie somewhere and I had a pic of the big red barn blown up and I framed it.

Sending strong thoughts your way.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:21 pm

Thanks so much, Belle! I would have a heck of a time deciding what pies to choose had I been in your shoes. I love pie! And cookies... Cookies are easier and cheaper to get but there's something about a good cream pie with its luxurious cream filling and light meringue that brings a smile to my face and I decided that I needed those kinds of smiles if I'm going to do what I need to do to stay alive. I'm also a mega cheesecake fan and hope to get one for my birthday next month. :mrgreen:
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13

WorriedWife

Postby WorriedWife » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:42 am

Tons of prayers for you! Enjoy the pie and cookies :) That baby is going to be sooo adorable!!!
Hubby
CC Stg. 2b
Dx 6/12
surgery & reconnect
opted out Folfox
Pet Scan Aug NED
abscess/fistula for over a year
ongoing Dec 2013
Praying for each and every one of you

mstults

Postby mstults » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:49 am

So sorry to hear. It's something we all fear I guess. I have a cousin that has been off folfox 6 months. Tests today looks like she has a relapse so its even more distressing. I'm chemo for life so I don't have to go through that ordeal. Praying that the new meds do their job in an easy way.
Male Age 53. Dx CC with numerous liver mets 6/23/12. Colon res 6/24/12. Started folfox 7/24/12. Added avastin 8/27/12. CT 12/27/12 still showing shrink. Took 17 rounds of FOLFOX. Then 5-FU + Avastin. Switched to Irinotecan for 1 yr. CEA rose to >400. Switched to Vectibix 2/18/15. CEA decreasing. Scans show some growth in liver mets. Lung Mets stable to shrinking.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.stults2/about?ref=home_edit_profile&section=work

srwl21901

Postby srwl21901 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:49 am

I'm so sorry to hear your news. You have been just a bright spot for me since I joined this forum. Since I have grand children myself I'm praying you have good results from your new treatment because they are so worth the torture and I'm praying that you have many years watching them grow. "Hugs to you"
Stage 3
Rectal cancer
DX 2/20/13
LAR 3/27/13
Xeloda (canceled)
Oxaliplatin
Port placed on May 8, 2013
Folfox6
Stage IV metastasis in lymph nodes
Seeking treatment now

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:15 am

Good luck with your new chemo adventure, Gwen. You're in my thoughts.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:31 am

pie is like a win, Gwen
take it when you can get it ! ..... it is one of the major food groups after all.

Hoping the big R is a win for you, too .....
even if there's no pie around.

Cheers and Harmony
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Sharona
Facebook Username: Sharon Rauch

Postby Sharona » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:59 am

Gwen,
So sorry to hear the news and I will keep you in my prayers. I admire your ability to look on the bright side - no rash or sore feet, and enjoy that pie!
Thunking of you,
Sharon
Dx CRC mets to lung, brain
Craniotomy 11/12
CyberKnife 12/12
colostomy
FOLFIRI, FOLFIRI, avastin, Zaltrap
Stivarga
Multiple brain mets.
WBR and pallative pelvic radiation
Hospice 1/21/15
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sharonrauch

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:00 am

I love pie, Gwen. I wonder where I can get some...NOW!

Good luck to you on this next step. Sounds like you have a lot of beautiful things in your life to look forward to. Enjoy!

Ann
Stage 3C (or 4?) Rectal Cancer 01/07
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14
5/17 scan and MRI found treated spine met

juliej

Postby juliej » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:13 pm

Bugger. Totally agree with the pie. And just thinking about the new baby will help you gird your loins for battle (with Big R at your side). Continuing to pray for hope and strength for you!

xo,
Julie
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

SoConfused

Postby SoConfused » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:21 pm

Praying for you as your start this new treatment ... hope it's successful in beating things back/down/out.

Curious: why have you not tried Irinotecan? is that drug off the table for you due to potential complications or are you skipping it for now to use at a later time, if need be?
Stage IV CC

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:49 pm

SoConfused wrote:Praying for you as your start this new treatment ... hope it's successful in beating things back/down/out.

Curious: why have you not tried Irinotecan? is that drug off the table for you due to potential complications or are you skipping it for now to use at a later time, if need be?

I've been on Irinotecan since November 2011, SC. First with Xeloda and then with Erbitux. It just finally quit working, U guess...

Two weird things about the results yesterday - my CEA was the highest it's ever been even when I had colon tumor, rectal tumor and three tumors in the liver. We've just figured CEA wasn't a good marker for me. It stayed in the 3s. Yesterday, it was 4.5. Then, I've wondered why the old tumor didn't grow but the new tumor grew to right about the same size as the old one! Not only does cancer suck, it's confusing too!

Thanks for all the support, guys. I, too, hope that all will go well with the Regorafenib. From reading the Regorafenib thread, I was heartened to read that neuropathy isn't one of the listed side effects AND there will probably be a nurse with Bayer that will keep an eye on me as well as my wonderful onc and nurses at the cancer center. Since it's new, the more people watching, the better, I think.

Four hours of sleep last night but I'm hoping my back and feet will stay like they are now and I should be able to get some real good sleep tonight.

God bless ~
Guinevere
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13

SoConfused

Postby SoConfused » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:07 pm

Guinevere wrote:
SoConfused wrote:I've been on Irinotecan since November 2011, SC. First with Xeloda and then with Erbitux. It just finally quit working, U guess...

Not only does cancer suck, it's confusing too!

God bless ~
Guinevere

I am sorry - not sure how I had missed your mentioning that before. I agree, this awful disease is more confusing than anything else I've ever had to deal with .

My best wishes and prayers are with you.
Stage IV CC

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:14 pm

SoConfused wrote:
Guinevere wrote:
SoConfused wrote:I've been on Irinotecan since November 2011, SC. First with Xeloda and then with Erbitux. It just finally quit working, U guess...

Not only does cancer suck, it's confusing too!

God bless ~
Guinevere

I am sorry - not sure how I had missed your mentioning that before. I agree, this awful disease is more confusing than anything else I've ever had to deal with .

My best wishes and prayers are with you.

They don't call it chemo brain for nuthin'. :wink: Don't worry about it. All this time, when I read my blood results, I thought LDH was my cholesterol reading. Got LDH and LDL mixed up and found out yesterday it's some kind of hormone reading and it's really high now. Not sure I understand all I know about that...
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”