It's the Big R now for me - UPDATE

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
pollo65
Facebook Username: pollo2

Re: It's the Big R now for me

Postby pollo65 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:43 pm

Gwen, you are one of my inpsirational folks here on the forum. May the big R work and may you have very few side effects---as has been said so many times before FIGHT ON OH MIGHTY QUEEN!
pollo 65
CC 1/6/09
r. hemi-colectomy 1/7/09
32Ln biopsied, 28 positive
met to aorta
chemo 12 rounds
done 9/09 3 scans clear
1/11 1 met to aorta
micro cluster to peritoneum
4/11 / 9/11 scan clear
4/12 scan clear
10/12 scan clear
Iri+avastin
chemo break

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:57 am

You guys have me so pumped up now that I think I'm ready to tackle the Stivarga! They should be calling today to let me know when it will be delivered.

Thanks so much guys! I don't know how I'd walk this journey without everyone here!

God bless ~
Guinevere
(Mighty Queen fighting the Beast with one hand and a piece of pie in the other :wink: )
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

concernedrelative

Postby concernedrelative » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:37 pm

FWIW: My wife has completed her 1st cycle and had to stop 3 days early. Having a terrible time specifically with hand/foot syndrome (more on the feet). Throbbing pain through the bottoms of her feet. She's been dose reduced 25%, not sure if Doc will roll the dice and reduce her another 25%. Other than that, her symptoms have been manageable. I am guessing this will be the deciding factor whether she stops the drug i.e. before the next scan date.

Best, Concerned Relative
Crgvr to 37 y.o. DW
3/11 Dx IV w mets lungs, xeloxi/avastin
8/12 switch irino/avastin
4/13 2nd line failed
6/13 imprime pgg trial failed
7/13 stivarga started/failed
9/13 folfiri+erb
Lost her valiant and noble fight 022114

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:51 am

Concernedrelative,
Thanks for letting me know your wife's experience. That's one of things I'm most concerned about. I've had problems with hand/foot with the Erbitux and my feet aren't completely healed yet. They're in better shape than they were but they're by no means completely healed.

I will get the drugs tomorrow and start on Thursday. My DIL is in a production of Godspell which starts on Friday and we're planning to go on Saturday. Hopefully, the side effects won't be kicking in by then. That's what I'm hoping. I've always wanted to see the play and anytime she sings, I don't want to miss it. Voice of an angel!

Feet kept me awake last night. If it starts up again, I'm taking the Lyrica and pain meds. I'm tired and tired of being tired. :wink:

God bless ~
Guinevere
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13

trapbear
Facebook Username: bill manning

Postby trapbear » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:40 pm

HI Guinevere,
I don't post often but my husband will probably be strarting regorafinib soon too. He has mets in lung and liver and folfiri and avastin is not working as well anymore. Luckily the mets are very slow growing. I hope you tolerate the drug well. One of our oncologists at UCSF recommends starting all her patients at half dose, then slowly increasing if tolerated. Hope all goes well and I look forward to reading how you are doing. You will be in my thoughts.
Bill
Husband Dx with Stage 3 CC in Dec 07
Xelox Jan-July 08
Lung mets Jan 09
Folfiri plus Avastin Mar-May 10
5FU plus Avastin May 10-current
2 liver mets March 13, continue 5 FU & Avastin
liver RFA Oct 13, hospice June 14, at peace Sept 2, 2014

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:44 pm

I just got the drugs. Something about them being here, makes it more real. I don't know why I'm so nervous! I've been on Folfox, Avastin, Irinotecan and Erbitux and wasn't particularly nervous about starting any of them Maybe I should have been concerning the Oxaliplatin but ignorance is bliss, I guess.

I asked the onc if I should keep a log since I'm the first patient she's had to be on it. She said, if I wanted to, that would be fine. I think I will because I think it will make it easier to pinpoint when problems started and what helped and didn't help.

Bill, I'm going to start at full dose and then reduce if and when needed. It's funny how good oncs can have opposite views on how to proceed with things, isn't it?

So...here we go! Tomorrow morning, cherry yogurt and 4 Stivarga pills in addition to my others meds for breakfast.

Thanks for all the support ~
Guinevere
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:19 am

Thinking of and praying for you this morning, Gwen. I know you're anxious, I would be too. Remember all the real love and virtual hugs you have surrounding you today. Godspell is so wonderful, I hope you will be feeling very well and will be up for enjoying it. Hang in there, Very Mighty Queen!

Love you!

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

Icesk8tr

Postby Icesk8tr » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:19 am

Dear Gwen, Mighty Queen,
I am praying for you and will swing chickens for your success with the Big "R". I hope there will be no side effects, or only very tolerable ones. I'm sending good thoughts and healing vibes your way. Your are not only a warrior queen, but a very kind, thoughtful and all around wonderful person. We are all pulling for you. We love you. Feel well.

Hugs,
Christine
Stage IV CC 2010

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:59 am

Thanks guys! Took the first dose this morning and no immediate reaction so I'm cheered by that. I didn't sleep well last night. I guess I was anxious and I know I shouldn't be but there ya go.

God bless ~
Guinevere
(Mighty Queen fighting the Beast!)
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13

justin case

Postby justin case » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:15 pm

Hi Guinevere,
I was just checking up on my Texas queen, and was wondering how things are going for you. You're in my thoughts, obviously 8)
Warm regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:29 am

My bp as skyrocketed to 160/110! So, I'm adding another Vasotec to the mix and, so far, it's slowly coming down which is the way I want it to work. My skin is thinning like you wouldn't believe! Mouth sores are such a constant that I forget to mention them and my fatigue to my onc. :roll: One good note - on Tuesday, I had lost 4½ pounds since the 30th. Something needed to happen in that area. I was beginning to be concerned about my heart with all the weight that was packing on. Bone pains have been pretty excruciating but the Stivarga nurse wasn't surprised and agreed with the onc that I need to start with Ibuprofen and then graduate to Tramadol and then to Dilaudid. If my stomach holds out, I'm using this method because the pain pills and muscle relaxers have relaxed my guts too much and I was close to a blockage. :shock: DO NOT WANT THAT ALL! Other that all that, I'm doing alright. :mrgreen: Thanks, Texas transplant, for checking on me. I really appreciate it. I had lost this thread and just now thought to do a search for it. Darn chemo brain!

Take care and God bless ~
Guinevere
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13

justin case

Postby justin case » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:43 pm

Guinevere wrote:My bp as skyrocketed to 160/110! So, I'm adding another Vasotec to the mix and, so far, it's slowly coming down which is the way I want it to work. My skin is thinning like you wouldn't believe! Mouth sores are such a constant that I forget to mention them and my fatigue to my onc. :roll: One good note - on Tuesday, I had lost 4½ pounds since the 30th. Something needed to happen in that area. I was beginning to be concerned about my heart with all the weight that was packing on. Bone pains have been pretty excruciating but the Stivarga nurse wasn't surprised and agreed with the onc that I need to start with Ibuprofen and then graduate to Tramadol and then to Dilaudid. If my stomach holds out, I'm using this method because the pain pills and muscle relaxers have relaxed my guts too much and I was close to a blockage. :shock: DO NOT WANT THAT ALL! Other that all that, I'm doing alright. :mrgreen: Thanks, Texas transplant, for checking on me. I really appreciate it. I had lost this thread and just now thought to do a search for it. Darn chemo brain!

Guinevere

Hell, some people don't even consider Houston part of Texas, but I sure do have a lot of Texas surrounding me. Being born in Chicago, and raised in Kansas City, and now living in Houston for some 38 years, I have learned the big city ways. As I don't know what Tramadol is, I'd go straight for the Dilaudid. There is a bit of old hippie in me too :roll: You take care precious one, and don't let that crap ruin your QOL.
Warm regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:37 pm

justin case wrote:
Guinevere wrote:My bp as skyrocketed to 160/110! So, I'm adding another Vasotec to the mix and, so far, it's slowly coming down which is the way I want it to work. My skin is thinning like you wouldn't believe! Mouth sores are such a constant that I forget to mention them and my fatigue to my onc. :roll: One good note - on Tuesday, I had lost 4½ pounds since the 30th. Something needed to happen in that area. I was beginning to be concerned about my heart with all the weight that was packing on. Bone pains have been pretty excruciating but the Stivarga nurse wasn't surprised and agreed with the onc that I need to start with Ibuprofen and then graduate to Tramadol and then to Dilaudid. If my stomach holds out, I'm using this method because the pain pills and muscle relaxers have relaxed my guts too much and I was close to a blockage. :shock: DO NOT WANT THAT ALL! Other that all that, I'm doing alright. :mrgreen: Thanks, Texas transplant, for checking on me. I really appreciate it. I had lost this thread and just now thought to do a search for it. Darn chemo brain!

Guinevere

Hell, some people don't even consider Houston part of Texas, but I sure do have a lot of Texas surrounding me. Being born in Chicago, and raised in Kansas City, and now living in Houston for some 38 years, I have learned the big city ways. As I don't know what Tramadol is, I'd go straight for the Dilaudid. There is a bit of old hippie in me too :roll: You take care precious one, and don't let that crap ruin your QOL.
Warm regards,
Michael

LIKE [X]
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

concernedrelative

Postby concernedrelative » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:08 am

Wife in to 2nd week of second round. The coughing has gone away and she's passing periodic BMs normally as well as thru the daily ostomy use. She feels good all things considered with the only significant limited factor being severe foot neuropathy. She's trying urea cream, gabapentin pills (4th day) and just started gabapentin cream yesterday. I am doubtful the gabapentin is doing its job fully and she's started to have some angry outbursts (3 in the last 48 hours) which are just not like her at all even with all she's been thru. We're going to give this drug till Sunday and then request a switch. Got her a nice massage 1st thing this morning but looks like farmers' market visit afterwards is out of the question. On a more positive note, she wants to jump on my motorcycle as a passenger for the 1st time ever. So we're still pushing boundaries in this house! Since I am a new rider as of last year, I got most of our riding gear barely use or new but at a discount on ebay. Her helmet is much fancier than mine with a audacious graphic of a heart with a sword thru it and the saying "Little Miss Dangerous". If you knew what a reserved, polite, refined lady my wife is, you would get the joke of her alter ego tough gal riding persona. ;-)
Crgvr to 37 y.o. DW
3/11 Dx IV w mets lungs, xeloxi/avastin
8/12 switch irino/avastin
4/13 2nd line failed
6/13 imprime pgg trial failed
7/13 stivarga started/failed
9/13 folfiri+erb
Lost her valiant and noble fight 022114

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:57 am

justin case wrote:

Guinevere

Warm regards,
Michael

Believe me, Michael, I fight the temptation to go straight to the Dilaudid (the old hippie in me coming through as well). I think Tramadol is a mid-level pain killer. It does the job sometimes but can wire me up terribly if I don't go ahead and take a nap when I start feeling sleepy. Being wired and having extreme fatigue isn't very conducive to much.
My husband was born and raised in southern Illinois. He's been a transplant for almost 50 years so I call him a naturalized Texan. It seems you qualify for that designation as well with 38 years of Texas weather and Houston weather to boot! Gawd, I hate the weather there. It's like you can spoon the air and put it in a jar! I was raised in Palestine so it wasn't much better there as far as the humidity goes.
Yeah, my QOL is uppermost for my and my onc. I'm very blessed to have her!

God bless ~
Gwen
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13