massage and cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Dress In Blue Girl

massage and cancer

Postby Dress In Blue Girl » Tue May 23, 2006 1:07 am

Does anyone know if it is considered ok to have a massage.I have heard conflicting things. I was thinking about having one my insurance does cover it and would it matter if you are stage 4 and newly ned?

Claudia

massage okay

Postby Claudia » Tue May 23, 2006 6:24 am

I had a aesthescian doing a facial tell me she could not massage my neck because i had cancer and it would assist in spreading. I checked with my onco and my massage therapist at NIH, as I get weekly massages. It is fine! Massage has actually been shown to increase the immune system by increasing T cell counts.
Stage 3 rectal cancer, dx May 27 2005. Lived in Maryland. Temporary Ileostomy placed. Removed May 13 2006. Age at dx: 34. 7 weeks postpartum. As of August 2007 NED and living and working in Italy.

eitter

Massages

Postby eitter » Tue May 23, 2006 8:50 am

I just spent 16 days in the hospital in Arizona and I am here to tell you massage is fine. The hospital I was at in Arizona even has free massages for their cancer patients, and aromatherapy is at a reduced price and I did both. I had a massage before surgery and I could lay on my stomach, and now I just need to be on my side. I will say the massage therapists are also LPN's or RN's, and specialized in cancer massage.

I am extremely impressed with the hospital I go to, it is incredible how they treat the cancer patients and what they offer. I had my first Oncology appt yesterday and we have our own parking right next to the building, we get a secret pass coded to get in, parking is awful for everyone else. Makes since we will be there everyday for a month or more.

There are so many support groups, that I need to get involved with. Free wig's, scarf's etc.......... I am just really impressed.

However my appt did not go well yesterday, I met with radiologist and Chemo Doctors and they are still baffled by my case and that is extremely frustrated. My cancer is staining that it is NOT colon cancer, but visually the doctor states it is which overrides pathology reports sometimes. Either way the tumor has evaded the rectal wall. So now they want to send me to May Clinic and also Univ of Arizona Cancer Center. A PET Scan will be done within the week. We have time, I still have to heal from surgery. I just want the tumor out!

eitter
Arizona

sue kidera

massage

Postby sue kidera » Tue May 23, 2006 4:25 pm

I got massages every Monday after treatment. I really looked forward to them. My therepist was specially trained in oncology massage. The concern, as I understand it, is with the possiblity of causing a tumor to break up and spread more.
There is a certain way they do the stokes and with lighter pressure if they are trained in oncology massage.
If you can afford it, I highly recommend it!!!

Sue

snow

Postby snow » Thu May 25, 2006 6:03 pm

I was diagnosed last June with stage IV rectal cancer. I get massages whenever I can afford them...every couple of months. My oncologist regularly updates a letter for me that states that I am cleared for therapeutic massage. Go get a massage...you will feel so much better!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”