Any differences Canada versus USA treatment for stage 4

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
1YEAR

Any differences Canada versus USA treatment for stage 4

Postby 1YEAR » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:10 pm

Canadians, looking for your insight, opinions!
Are there any drugs or treatments available in USA that you can't get in Ontario?
Are there struggles with using Avastin as maintenance? Or with xeloda as mop up/maintenance?
What differences do you see in USA system versus Canada good or bad re treating stage 4 colon cancer?
Long story short we were supposed to relocate to Canada and my husbands diagnosis 2011 delayed it, the job opportunity still stands and he has continued to work for the same company. So we are weighing up options. Obviously Many things to consider!!

Cb75

Re: Any differences Canada versus USA treatment for stage 4

Postby Cb75 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:40 am

I Amin Toronto Canada. I think that generally the treatment is the same. However, you are correct about access to certain drugs. For example, I was not given Avastin as a first line drug since I was resectable. However, I have seen quite a few people here from thus that hat received it. I was told by my oncologist that since I had no visible signs of cancer, Avastin would provide me no benefit. So, Avastin, and any other drugs, have been 'saved' should the cancer come back. I did some research on my own and found some studies to support what my oncologist had told me. However, what he didn't tell me is that to obtain Avastin an application and recommendation has to be made for funding. I also believe that funding is limited to twelve doses. I am not sure if my personal insurance benefits would kick in after that to cover. This is one example. The other big difference is that in Ontario, pet scans are very very rare. I have not had a pet scan. I have had ct, MRI and ultra sounds.

You will find that coverage differs from province to province. There is a website, recently published, information about what is covered in each province and the differences. I will post the link when I find it.

However, what I will say is that I am being treated at one of the best hospitals in the world for cancer treatment and research, that I have received great care, two surgeries, a number of ct scans, port placement, counselling, and chemo and to date all that I have paid for was an upgrade to a private hospital room, which for both hospital stays cost me about $600.

I am currently Ned after a colon and liver resection and 12 rounds of chemo. I am being monitored with bloodworm and ct scans every 3 to 4 months. Overall, I think the standard of care is about the same.

However, on another note you should verify that your husband would still be eligible to gain residency status in Canada with his health condition. I assume he is not already a Canadian citizen? If this is the case, the immigration authorities may refuse his visa to work here on the basis of his ore existing condition. Also note, OHIP, or other provincial healthcare generally takes a few months to kick in.
Carmen
39y female Stage IV
diagnosed April 2012
sigmoid resect May 2012
liver resect Aug 2012
Folfox Oct 2012
lungs Sep 2013
R and L laser lung resection Nov 2013/Feb 2014
FOLFIRI and Avastin Apr 2014 ongoing...

smokeyjoe

Postby smokeyjoe » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:24 am

Does hubby have private insurance that will cover him in Canada?? I'm also in Ontario, was wondering about Zaltrap as several people on the board on this drug .... it's not avail. here yet, there is one hospital Dr. in Toronto area who is doing clinical trial on this. So, for that drug you'd have to qualify for that clinical trial. With Avastin, I don't know if they'd provide it on it's own...I could only get it if I was on irrinitocan infusions. But, this may be different if you have a private insurance plan.

1YEAR

Postby 1YEAR » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:04 am

Carmen and smokey joe, thank you,
He has worked for this company for close to 20 years but in the US division. Carmen you bought up an important point re Canadian residency! Lots of issues to be considered! Just a tough one where you realize life must go on despite its uncertainties

Frenchie's Wife

Postby Frenchie's Wife » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:44 am

Here in Alberta, Canada there is absolutely no cost to us for medical care. Almost everything is covered including drugs (cancer etc) MRI's, ct scans and Pet scans. I believe we have the best coverage out of all the provinces.
Caregiver to DH 59 yr, male, Stage IV at Dx
Dx Sept 2009
Liver,bladder mets, 5 surgeries
Lots of chemo
Inoperable lung mets nov 2013
Stopped all treatments in February 2014 due to QOL issues
I am in God's hands now !!
Feb 2015 - too many new mets to count !
At peace July 9, 2017

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”