Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
eitter

Postby eitter » Sun May 21, 2006 4:11 pm

I love this website and I now have a new goal, to be a "Colander Girl!" Perhaps 2008???

Here is my story!

I was released from the hospital Friday, May 19th, after 16 days........I knew something was wrong first part of April and started seeing doctors, no one could figure out why I was "leaking" out of my vaginal area. Went to GYN and Urologist. And as we all know it takes time to get in get tests etc!

Finally I passed part of what we now know is a tumor and went to the ER. I was diagnosed with a Pelvic mass of an unknown origin. The tumor broke through the vaginal wall and after a colonoscopy, discovered it broke through the rectum. It took a week before they did surgery. The pathology report came back not colon cancer, cancer of an unknown origin. When surgery was done a Colon/Rectal surgeon was in and a GYN/ONC, after I was opened it was determined I had colon cancer irregardless what the path reports showed. Colon cancer according to my doctors, needs radiation first then remove the tumor. So a Ileostomy was done to rest my colon, they say it is temp and then they closed up. Now I need radiation/Chemo and surgery again in 3 months, then 2 months after that they say they can put in a reservoir and reverse the Ileostomy.

So that is the reader's digest version.

There are so many emotions I have right now, and frustrations. I am a 39 year old female, married 22 years and have a 21 year old daughter and 15 year old son. My father has colon cancer, his brother and their mother. Yes I have had colonoscopies, no not every year. But in November I had an ultrasound because I was missing periods and the mass was not there. The doctors say it is the size of a softball and they estimate it grew in the last 3-4 months and they tell me unless the colonoscopy was timed perfectly it would not have been caught, still I have to admit I have that guilt of I should have had one every year, but all mine were clear, so even the doctors did not recommend that.

I believe I ate a 95% good diet, no one is perfect. Mostly vegetarian and LOTS of fresh fruits and veggies.

Much to my dismay, or should I say shock, I was told to follow a low fiber diet because of the Ileostomy, 180 from what I am used to. This diet calls for enriched breads, when I always ate whole grain. Animal protein and on and on and on.

When I found out I had cancer and before surgery I told my self I would go all raw to beat this cancer, and when I woke up I was told I could not.

My hope in this group is to find other vegetarians who have an Ileostomy, how they eat. And just any suggestions of how you all are coping. I already think I need to seek counseling. I am a very strong person, so it is hard to ask for help, but I know I need to. I just cry at the drop of a pin, I cry because I am sad, I cry because I am scared, I cry about the ileostomy and sometimes I cry just to cry!

On a side note, I guess I have a very unusual presentation of cancer, so much so that the Medical Oncologist wants a second opinion before he writes up his cocktail. He wants me to go to Mayo Clinic or Univ of AZ in Tucson. I guess we have time before I heal for radiation, and I am up for anything, any help!

I look forward to sharing with all of you!

One last thing: What is the "color" for colon cancer?! I know pink is breast. Are there braclets etc to wear?

eitter
Arizona :wink:

janb

Postby janb » Sun May 21, 2006 8:38 pm

The colon cancer symbol is blue. Best wishes........
Together....we can make a difference!
www.whereintheworldisgregkelley.com

Mona6518

Postby Mona6518 » Mon May 22, 2006 7:12 pm

Eitter,
No advice on the mostly vegetarian diet question....

But (as you'll find from reading this board) we all experience a wide range of emotional reactions. Keep in mind that what you're feeling is normal and that we're here to help us all get through this.

Monkey

janb

Postby janb » Mon May 22, 2006 9:20 pm

You can order colon cancer bracelets through this site:

http://www.colorectal-cancer.net/bracelets.htm
Together....we can make a difference!
www.whereintheworldisgregkelley.com

Postby Guest » Mon May 22, 2006 9:21 pm

Hi Eitter,

Welcome to our site. You have found the right place for support and answers! You are very strong, as you have gone through so much over the last few months. I am interested in hearing about diets as well. Stay strong and hang in there no matter what OK:)

Love,
Star

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Tue May 23, 2006 10:11 am

try this message board for ileostomy-related questions:
http://www.uoaa.org/forum/index.php?sid ... 0ef660f3f0

lolitamj

newly diagnosed

Postby lolitamj » Wed May 24, 2006 7:56 pm

Hey Everyone,

It's so comforting to know I'm not alone in all this. I'm scheduled for resection surgery on May 31th, 2006. Can anyone share post surgery care, what to expect, what should I do to promote healing and get back on my feet? What to eat what not to eat etc - I would appreciate any feedback. I feel very confident that everything will turn out all right. Thanks in advance for all feedback.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”