Remembering Pat (Gaelen)

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
weisssoccermom

Remembering Pat (Gaelen)

Postby weisssoccermom » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:49 am

Today marks the one year anniversary of Pat's death. Perhaps I shouldn't have posted this topic but.....I know that there are many of us who genuinely miss Pat. Yes, at times Pat's way of expressing her opinions could irritate many people but I don't believe any of us can deny that Pat was a wealth of information and helped many of us with recommendations for the HAI pump, Dr. K at Sloan, the Sleep Number bed :), etc. Pat was realistic with this disease and faced her ups and downs and her final death with dignity and grace.
While I never met Pat, I was privileged to have spoken with her many times in her last year of life and learned a lot (or at least I think I did) about what made Pat 'tick'. To this day, I don't know how Pat got my phone number or what made her call me that November evening when she was boarding the train to take her home from Sloan but I will forever be grateful that I had that opportunity to get to know Pat and to let her know that other people DID care about her. Her love for her dogs automatically made her an "A-OK" person with me and I remember how difficult it was for Pat to have to 'let go' of her babies and give them up.
Pat - thank you for everything you gave to this board and others to help educate us on the realities of this disease. Thank you for all the time you spent researching treatments, etc. and sharing that information with us. You will be missed and never forgotten.
Jaynee
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Re: Remembering Pat (Gaelen)

Postby NWgirl » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:12 am

Thank you for posting this Jaynee. I think of Pat often and wonder "what would Pat have done?". She was a tremendous source of guidance and support for me. I did have the honor of meeting her at Call on Congress 2012 - just a few short months before she passed. When asked by another Colon Club member (after meeting Pat) if she was what I expected - my response - "yes, just a little louder". :lol: I really liked Pat and respected her so much.

She will forever be in my heart. Missing you Pat and hoping you are in a better place, surrounded by the dogs you loved so much while you were here.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

raym

Postby raym » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:23 am

Thanks for the post. No softening this cancer stuff...straight and to the point (which was how Gaelen posted) works for me
3/11 IIIC +/FOLFOX
4/12 HIPEC
6/12 Chmo/Rad
9/12 XELIRI+Avast/Zltra
9/13 Plvic Absc,stpd chemo
11/13 Tumr rmvd frm Lap Port incis
12/13 Xeloda
1/14 Cardiac Issue no Xeloda/5FU
3/14 Irinotecan
6/14 Stopped chemo
8/14 Clin Trial
9/14 Infectn - Stpd Trial

SoConfused

Postby SoConfused » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:29 am

wow! can't believe it has been a year ... I didn't connect with Pat's personality but ALWAYS appreciated her treatment and scientific explanations. She knew a lot about this disease and shared a lot with this forum. I am glad you posted this today so we can all pause and recognize her positive contributions.
Stage IV CC

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:51 am

Really miss her, and remain grateful, every single day, of all I learned from her. May she be resting in all the peace she so richly deserves.
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

Lisahopes

Postby Lisahopes » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:56 am

I so appreciated Pat's direct ways. I am someone who needs to know the truth and prepare for it.

She was so very knowledgable and is missed.

I admired her dignity and clarity of mind.
Daughter to Mom, 65, Stage IV with mets to liver, lungs and peri.
Dx 2006, Stage II.
Regular check October 2011, Stage IV established.
She has had Oxi, Folfox and Xeloda, now Avastin.
Progression.
Mom died on April 5th 2013.

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:36 pm

I'll be the first to admit that Gaelen jumped on my case a couple of times. At first, I thought I thought I didn't deserve it. When I was calmer and looked back, she was definitely right. I had written without thinking, and had, therefore, written something rather stupid. She did not tolerate that, and I admired that about her.
I did not get to meet Gaelen in person, but I am most thankful for having met her here. Not only was she a wealth of information, she made me a far better writer. I hope I continue to live up to that.
I'm not sure we will ever know how much she added to the fight against CRC. I would love to know the end result of all the trials she reviewed for the DoD. Selfishly, I wish I could ask her thoughts on the trial I am on now.
Most of all, I admired the way she chose to meet the disease head-on, and to make her own decisions for the end.

Here's to you, Pat.
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

justin case

Postby justin case » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:38 pm

A good teacher doesn't care how many toes get stepped on!
My many thanks to Gaelen
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

chrissyrice

Postby chrissyrice » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:31 pm

I loved Gaelen's posts and miss her on the board helping so many of us. Pat was a very special lady for sure and I feel blessed to have had a chance to experience her knowledge, humor, and her no nonsense, on point discussions.

O/T ... Pat had a Beta Fish near the end of her life and I have one now that I inherited ... so each day I think of her when I feed my fish... can't think of a better reminder that a fighting Beta Fish named Pat. :wink:
DX 10-31-09 Surgery 12-1-09 Sigmoid Colon
Stage IIIb T3,N2,MX; Chemo Feb 2010-Aug 2010; 4 rounds Folfox; 8 rounds 5FU +LV
12/2010 PET/CT Scan, Cancer Free
7/2012 CT Scan NED 2 years
10/2013 NED 3 years
8/2014 NED 4 years
Recurrence 6/2015: iliac lymph node(s)
8/2015 Surgery: 3 cm tumor removed+iliac artery graft
3/2016 CT Scan Stable
6/2016 Stable
9/2016 Stable
12/2016 Stable
3/2017 Stable
Recurrence 6/2017
12/2017 Surgery removed all cancer w/ clean margins
07-27-2018 Cancer-free for 7 months

SaveMyArchie

Postby SaveMyArchie » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:00 pm

Thanks for posting this. I knew what today was and I'm glad we can still pay some tribute a year later. I remember when she gave me a strong electronic pep talk back in April 2011 (in addition to all the usual wisdom, of course) and am comforted that part of her legacy is 'searchable' in the post history on this forum. I really wish I had gotten to meet her in Jan 2012 when I had the chance...
51 @ dx (I'm her son - call me Steve)

8/12: referred for hospice
7/12: significant progression
4/12: Vectibix
11/10: recurrence; XELIRI+Avastin 'forever'
7/10: NED; lingering CIPN
1/10: FOLFOX
12/09 - removed 19cm sigmoid colon/prox rectum; 5/13 nodes

jeanette57

Postby jeanette57 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:59 pm

One Year Gaelen

Wow, you were so helpful. You held my hand making the decision to put my old dogs down before the operation, you shoved me into giving my things to people who would appreciate it. That take a gift party was a fantastic concept. I thought of you as I gave away my drum yesterday. I gave away my sewing machine and made some people really happy. HOW could you impact my life when I never met you? Still you did! I blocked what you said about relatives, still working on that! P.S How was that Rainbow Bridge? I am will be so beyond love to be there with my pets. Thanks for the poem and lessons.

Your lessons and wisdom were a blessing and pain in the ass. I appreciate your advice== "you can live with the why me" or live with joy and knowledge with what time was left. 95% joy and grumble, fear, oh woe 3%-numb 2% :)

Thanks to all the teachers - guides- wisdom makers - you best the butt kickers, What roles you play have made my life richer. :?
T3 N0 M0 -1-4-12 to 3-2013- NOW stage 4 terminal
mets Lungs & bone - halo on head (not to many can see unicorn horn)
chemo for life or until I quit

michelle c

Postby michelle c » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:44 am

RIP dear Pat. She and her words of wisdom are missed here.
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:51 pm

Bev G wrote:Really miss her, and remain grateful, every single day, of all I learned from her. May she be resting in all the peace she so richly deserves.

Exactly what I was thinking as I read down the list of replies. Anytime someone has a technical question, I realize just how much we relied on Gaelen and how very helpful she was.

God bless ~
Guinevere
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:22 pm

I had one of those weird experiences the other day on the way to work. Pat was involved with rescuing greyhounds and there's a group in the town where I live that does that (there's a dog track not far from here). Pat worked with these folks. I always see the same lady walking her two greyhounds as I leave town on my morning commute. I've always wanted to stop and ask her if she knew Pat, but haven't quite figured out how to do it gracefully. Anyway, as I was driving by, this woman looked in my direction and instead of seeing her face, I saw Pat's. Didn't creep me out; just made me sad.

I knew this sad anniversary was approaching, Jaynee. Thanks for this thread.

Oh yeah, and she's the one who inspired me to hook up with Dr. K. at Sloan, and I'm probably alive today because of that.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

edinaman

Postby edinaman » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Jaynee, thanks for the post. Pat is missed by so many. She was a source of so much knowledge about CRC. So often I have seen a comment in the posts about how Gaelen would probably have the answer. RIP.
Jeff
Went in for surgery for a cyst on my bladder, and they found colon cancer growing on the outside of the colon. Got to have two surgeries at the same time! Stage 3, one node involved.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”