Anesthesia for colon resection

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
DBF
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1000008

Anesthesia for colon resection

Postby DBF » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:47 pm

Hello,

I have my colon resection surgery tomorrow morning and I have a question about anesthesia. Has anyone ever had this surgery done under a local (spinal) block? If so, what was your experience like? My surgeons will be doing a c-section delivery of my baby first (yay!) via a spinal/epidural combo and then they are not sure if we'll transition to a general anesthesia for the resection or stay with the local (if I seem to be doing well). I'd rather stay with the local if possible (I've never had general and the idea of it scares me), but a few people- my mom in particular- say I'm crazy and that it would be much easier just to be "out." Wondering what experiences people here have had.

Thanks, everyone!

Donna
6/13 Dx @ 29 Wks pregnant, 42 yo
Adenocarcinoma, mucinous
7/13 C-sec/col resec/part. hysterectomy
8/13 Pulm embolism
8/13 Spread to liver
9/13 Liver resection
FOLFOX
CEA UP
ADAPT: Xeloda/Celebrex
2/14 oopherectomy
10/15 obstruction surg
10/17 Scar tissue removal/vsg surg
2019: NED :)
2021: NED :D
2022: NED :)
Mom to 3 boys: 24, 13 & 9

mstults

Re: Anesthesia for colon resection

Postby mstults » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:23 pm

Not being a woman it's hard for me to compare. But, having the option of being out or an epidural I'd take general anesthesia. It can be a rather lengthy procedure especially if they go for open rather than laparoscopic which I'd think would be the case since you will already be cut from the c-section. They tried to do mine laparoscopically but had to convert to open. If I had been awake it would have been traumatic. I had eye surgery once. The used iv sedation then let me wake up after administering a nerve blocking shot. They didn't tell me I would wake up so that was scary.
Male Age 53. Dx CC with numerous liver mets 6/23/12. Colon res 6/24/12. Started folfox 7/24/12. Added avastin 8/27/12. CT 12/27/12 still showing shrink. Took 17 rounds of FOLFOX. Then 5-FU + Avastin. Switched to Irinotecan for 1 yr. CEA rose to >400. Switched to Vectibix 2/18/15. CEA decreasing. Scans show some growth in liver mets. Lung Mets stable to shrinking.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.stults2/about?ref=home_edit_profile&section=work

janklo
Facebook Username: JanetKlostermann

Postby janklo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:39 pm

I had a basal cell carcinoma removed from my face (near my eyelid) and it was only a local anesthetic. That only took like 20 minutes, but it was plenty creepy to be conscious and listen to what the doctor and the nurses were talking about and hear their instruments bashing around. I had a washcloth over my eyes so I couldn't see what was going on. They did a frozen section (for pathology) during the procedure, so they had to wait for that result and then I heard the doctor on the phone getting the results (negative margins). I am a pretty strong person and this was kind of a lot to deal with and for a short period of time.

My daughter had a colectomy (entire colon removed) and that was a lengthy surgery (4 hours maybe) and she was in EXTREME pain afterwards. I can't imagine laying there even partially conscious for colon surgery. I've never had a c-section, I had two regular deliveries and I had drugs via IV for those. I think it's usually standard procedure during colon surgery for cancer to look around at the other organs to make sure the surgeon doesn't see anything else. That part makes one very sore afterwards.
Mom to 28 yo daughter
colectomy 2/22/10, stage 3C, signet cell
7/2011 peritoneal mets
HIPEC September 2012, difficult recovery
Hospice 10/31/2012, Died 11/16/2012

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:42 pm

I agree with your mom. You don't want to be there for that.

General anesthesia is a breeze. They knock you out and next thing you know, you're in the recovery room. No stress; focus on healing.

If they give you Propofil, which they probably will, it would be a moot point, since you wouldn't remember anything anyway, but no surgeon doing that kind of surgery wants a patient who is anything but unconscious.

Relax, it will be fine.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

DBF
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1000008

Postby DBF » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:18 pm

Thanks everyone. Your comments make a lot of sense, and the general anesthesia would probably be better for as stress-free experience as possible. My GI did my colonoscopy with an epidural, and of course, I heard everything they said during the procedure and knew about the tumor before they told me.

I'll still get the epidural/spinal for the delivery because my OB says that it will be much better both for the baby and for my recovery (I'll be able to keep the epidural for 48 hours post surgery for pain relief), but I agree that the general would be better for the resection since it's such a long surgery and it would likely be stressful for me to be aware of everything going on. I'm not sure it will be my decision in the end, but I do want to go in with a preference.

General anesthesia has always been a fear of mine, but I'm going to try to relax as much as I can (and with the help of whatever sedative they give me).

Thanks again!
6/13 Dx @ 29 Wks pregnant, 42 yo
Adenocarcinoma, mucinous
7/13 C-sec/col resec/part. hysterectomy
8/13 Pulm embolism
8/13 Spread to liver
9/13 Liver resection
FOLFOX
CEA UP
ADAPT: Xeloda/Celebrex
2/14 oopherectomy
10/15 obstruction surg
10/17 Scar tissue removal/vsg surg
2019: NED :)
2021: NED :D
2022: NED :)
Mom to 3 boys: 24, 13 & 9

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:07 pm

Also, I think general anesthesia will provide better muscle relaxation for the surgeons to get around than an epidural would. Best of everything wonderful with your new baby tomorrow!!! You simply MUST post photos when you're up to it!

Hugs,

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

lorrainem
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/lorraineaminogue

Postby lorrainem » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:10 pm

Babies with local anesthesia is a good thing! Colon resection with a local, perhaps not so much. Longer procedure and more complicated...take the general. It changed my viewpoint from dread to "I'll wake up and it's over!"
Good luck with all of this and post pictures of the baby.
Chemorad/Surgery/Chemo
Stage II, no mets, no nodes NED 05/08 again 08/08 again 11/08
Ileostomy reversal 10/16/08

Rockovage

Postby Rockovage » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:37 pm

Good luck on your c-section and colon resection tomorrow
52 M
Colonscopy 2/13, DX stage 1 rectal cancer
open LAR 3/13 12in. colon / rectum removed
temp ileo
reversal 7 /13

Great day to be alive

mstults

Postby mstults » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:12 pm

I agree with Bev. Didn't think about relaxation but I can see how tensing the muscles could potentially increase you're soreness. Believe me, you will have plenty. Don't stress. I handle anesthesia like a champ. I go to sleep then I'm awake. My only nauseau was 2-3 days post op when my colon and stomach began to wake up. They had already removed the gastro tube. If I had it again I'd insist the tube staying until stomach and bowel sounds. Good luck. Praying for you.
Male Age 53. Dx CC with numerous liver mets 6/23/12. Colon res 6/24/12. Started folfox 7/24/12. Added avastin 8/27/12. CT 12/27/12 still showing shrink. Took 17 rounds of FOLFOX. Then 5-FU + Avastin. Switched to Irinotecan for 1 yr. CEA rose to >400. Switched to Vectibix 2/18/15. CEA decreasing. Scans show some growth in liver mets. Lung Mets stable to shrinking.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.stults2/about?ref=home_edit_profile&section=work

jean60

Postby jean60 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:41 pm

I think I have something to add to this. I was always terrified of general anesthesia, so much so that when I had an elective vaginal hysterectomy (complete) some years ago, I pushed and moaned and cajoled until my surgeon agreed to use a spinal. Bad idea. When it came time to get the ovaries out, there was some discomfort because you cannot take a spinal block so high it intereferes with breathing. I became very uncmfortable and I remember the anesthesiologist asking if I would like to get much sleepier. Oh yes, I wanted that.

Some things you need to be out for. I think this is one of them.

And I really wish you the very best of luck tomorrow!

Jean
Dx Rectal Cncr 5/12
Stage III
5 weeks Chemo (5FU) & Radiation completed
LAR with temporary ileostomy 9/12, complete response
Began FOLFOX 10/12. oxil reduced after tx 1, eliminated after tx 2. Now 5FU.
Finished 1/13
Ileostomy reversal 5/13

AJS
Facebook Username: Angie Jennings Stratton

Postby AJS » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:16 pm

I agree...you definitely want to be "out for the count" for your resection. My first resection took approx. 4 hours and I couldn't imagine being awake for that long of a procedure. Good luck and congrats on the little one!

Angie
[size=50][color=#FF00FF]Diverticulitis/Resection 12/27/07
Dx 1/08-Stage IIIA CC-2/15 Lymph Nodes-42 yrs old
2/08-8/08 -Folfox/Erbitux
Hysterectomy 3/09-CC on Ovary-Folfiri&Avastin
1/12-resection,bladder surgery,illeostomy
3/12-Illeostomy takedown
5/13-Folfiri/Avastin

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:48 pm

Just my 2 cents, a few times, I've been awake during "simple procedures", and each time I needed a nurse to hold my hand for "reassurance". After these surgeries of not being out, I've decided, "put me out" is the best course of action, I'll will see you after all is said and done.

CONGRATULATION on the upcoming birth of your child, I hope it is an EASY delivery!!! and an easy surgery!!!

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

momof3

Postby momof3 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:54 pm

I'd ask for a spinal for the csection...time to cuddle with the baby ...then get knocked out. I had my youngest shortly after my 43rd birthday. He'll be 2 in Sept and is such a blessing. I'm sorry you have to deal with the resection and cancer at this happy time but there is no better distraction than a sweet and beautiful baby! Good luck and congrats!
Husband was 46 when diagnosed stage 4 aug 2012
folfox and avastin ... then surgery april 2013
mets only to paraaortic nodes
Mets to femurs and spine found Nov 2013

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”