Introducing Myself

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CMeeks

Introducing Myself

Postby CMeeks » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:25 pm

Hi Everyone,

My name is Chet Meeks. I am 32 years old. A few months ago, I discovered a lump in my lower-right abdomen. I figured it was just a "cyst." My Mom joked that maybe I was one of those people who had absorbed a twin while I was in the womb.

I went in on September 23 to have the lump removed. A CT Scan had revealed that it was in the caecum. My doctor thought it was a case of low-grade appendicitus. No body thought it could be cancer because I'm 32, have no history of any cancer at all in my family, and have always eaten a low-fat, no-red-meat, organic-veggie-heavy diet.

So we were all surprised to discover that the thing in my caecum was a tennis-ball sized mucinous adenocarcinoma, that I had tumor involvement in 6/11 lymph nodes, and that I have stage IIIc colon cancer.

The good news is that a subsequent CT Scan revealed no mets in my lungs, liver, or kidneys. So as far as new mets I'm out of the woods so far. The bad news is that I will be undergoing 6 months of chemo, either Folfox4 or Folfox6 (depending on whether or not I get into a trial). I may or may not take Avastin (any thoughts on this here?). I had my mediport put in last Friday and am still quite sore from it, but getting by. The bandage is still on and I'm afraid to take it off and look at it.

I have always been a winner in my life. I got my PhD when I was 30. I am a college professor. I was in the middle of completing my first book when this hapened. I'm competetive and in good physical shape. But now I feel helpless and afraid (even though I'm trying to stay positive). I came on here because I was hoping to meet others like myself. When I read about the courage that people on this board have, dealing with something like this at such young ages, it really gives me hope. It also makes me sad and angry. I hope that some of you will write to me and share your experiences with me.

I begin Chemo the first week in November.

I hope I'll hear from some of you. Thank you for having this forum and thanks to all of you for your courage.

Chet
Chet

Holly

Welcome

Postby Holly » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:49 pm

Good Evening Chet,

Welcome to the Colon Club. Chet, I, too, am 32 years old. I am a stage IV colon cancer survivor dx at 30. I currently have no evidence of disease and underwent the FOLFOX 4 regimen. Congratulations on your SURVIVORSHIP! Chemotherapy is no picnic but I have faith that you will successfully complete this as you have so many other important steps in your life's journey. Do post updates on your journey and know that you will be in my prayers! God Bless You!

CMeeks

Thanks!

Postby CMeeks » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:49 pm

Dear Holly,

Thanks for writing to me and sharing your story. It really helps. I'll be seeing you on here and I'll be keeping you in my thoughts as well. Thanks again.

Best Wishes,
Chet Meeks
Chet

Holly

You are welcome

Postby Holly » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:46 pm

Chet,

You are welcome!

Billy

Thoughts

Postby Billy » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:17 pm

Chet,

I was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer last year when I was 35. As of two months ago, I’m cancer free. Chemo is a tough road to travel, but far from impossible. If you have faith in your doctors, and help from your family, it will help to greatly alleviate your fear and anxiety. There is nothing wrong with being afraid, fear can be a good motivator, but trust me, you should not feel helpless. There are many great cancer centers out there with wonderful support staff. And now you have found the Colon Club! I myself came across it only recently, but I think it can be a great help.

Stay strong, and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Billy

LoneStar

I know where you're coming from....

Postby LoneStar » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm

Chett,

I was an otherwise heathly 35yr guy, but as of one week ago was diagnoised with colon cancer. The tumor was found in my lower left colon (sigmoid) but does not involve any rectal tissue. Upon discovery, my doctor requested blood tests and a CT/PET scan to determine how best to proceed. The results of the CT showed the tumor and an enlarged lymph node, but the PET showed two small suspicious spots on my liver. Today, I met with oncologist and will like start chemo with the FolFox 6 regiment in advance of surgery. The idea is to treat the tumor and spots on the liver in advance of surgery.

By profession, I'm an attorney (business)....but work is soooo unimportant in the grand scheme of things. I'm trying to pull together my emotions, but it's really hard. Billy's comments to me were quite inspiring...I know other's have beat this! That said, its all really quite overwhelming as I've never been in the hospital.

I hope to talk more with you soon but I know you're going to be just fine!

Gregory

CMeeks

Postby CMeeks » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:11 am

Billy and Gregory,

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate it. I'm starting to feel a lot stronger reading this board. Billy, survivors like you and Holly up there give me a lot of courage. Gregory, I sent you a separate email about my experiences with surgery.

Hope I get to talk to both of you a lot more. Take it easy and thanks again.

Chet
Chet

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:59 pm

Chet,

After reading your post a second time it dawned on me, your surgery on September 23 was the date in 2003 that I was officially diagnosed with colon cancer. Interesting? I'll be 33 in December (the Holly probably gave that away) and I am looking forward to every minute! That fall, I planted tulips and could not wait to see them bloom in following spring! May the spring of 2006 be fruitful! Know that you are in my prayers and that I hope that you will keep me posted on your wellness!

CMeeks

Postby CMeeks » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:08 pm

Hi Holly,

That is weird. I also met a woman here in Chicago today who was diagnosed on the 27th, same day I was officially diagnosed. She was diagnosed when she was 27, Stage III. And she's been cancer free for 4 years. I encouraged her to come on here and tell her story. (She's also a marathon runner).

Plant those tulips Holly. By the time they poke their heads up I'll be done w/ chemo.

Thanks for giving me strength.

Chet
Chet

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:20 pm

Chet,

See we are every where....We are young, living strong and colon cancer SURVIVORS! I have planted my tulips. It is time for you to start to dig and plant your tulips...You then will appreciate the many fruit of your labor! Big Hugs!

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:15 pm

Chet,

How is your tulip planting coming along :lol:

CMeeks

Postby CMeeks » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:59 pm

Hi Holly,

I'll be honest, I haven't planted any tulips. I've been so busy getting ready for everything. Right now my big task is to get my apartment cleaned. My parents are coming Wednesday morning to help out for my first chemo treatment, and if my mother sees what a mess I'm living in currently cancer will be my least worry. (It's not gross dirty, just disorganized and messy).

But I'll try to plant something -- eventually. And if not then I can always just bug you about how your tulips are doing. :-)

Hang in there and thanks for making me smile.

Chet
Chet

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:53 pm

Chet,

I hope that you do find time to plant something special. Please see my note under the post 1st chemo. I will continue to have you in my prayers, kiddo and you must believe that ALL things are possible. I hope you do remember to ask me about my tulips in the spring.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”