Update on my wife

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
justsing

Re: Update on my wife

Postby justsing » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:18 am

If you're in Chicago anyway, several of my friends had great experiences at the Block Center in Evanston. They have a special way of doing chemo that allows the dose to be higher and the toxicity to be lower.

http://www.blockmd.com/

It's certainly worth looking into.

Good luck!!!!!
justsing, 46
Stage IV
colon resection 12/07
Liver resection 04/08
Phase I vaccine trial
liver, lung LN mets
tried Oxi, Iri and Avastin
now trying new chemo combos then sir spheres
College prof in theatre & voice
2 girls 18 & 14, one son 10

sumit22

Postby sumit22 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:31 pm

Well, the last week has been another whirlwind experience for Lisa. On Monday, we went to see her oncologist and she admitted Lisa to the hospital. Lisa has been very constipated, bloated, in pain. Even taking some oxycontin and norco at home was helping, but barely making her comfortable.

Since being in the hospital, she has been switched to a pain pump(and now a morphine patch). Her bowels have started to improve. the doctors feel that the constipation is being caused by some of her spreading, her fluid in her abdomen and just constipation from narcotics. The oncologist feels that reducing the cancer will help her feel better.

Today she had over 1 litre of fluid drained from her midsection. Since she is moving her bowels some, she is able to now be on a liquid diet. the pain patch seems to keep her more comfortable and the drained fluid is bringing her some relief.

Her oncologist wants to check her out of the hospital tomorrow and start FOLFORI with Erbitux tomorrow also.

I still have to ask about KRAS testing.
I have read a recent study that shows patients starting Vectibux should start using some skin treatment BEFORE the rash. This is supposed to help with the rash much more than trying to address it AFTER the rash starts. I plan on asking the doctor about it.

Question:
If the doctor(for some reason) says that they have not or cannot test Lisa for KRAS. Should Lisa alow the erbitux to start at all?

MissKim

Postby MissKim » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:09 pm

My prayers are with you and your wife. Good for you! I am glad that you are such a supportive spouse and questioning the oncologists!!! My original mets in when I was diagnosed was to my right ovary. We originally thought it was ovarian cancer and I did the complete hysterectomy. I often wonder if that was the right thing to do considering that two weeks later the doctors discovered a blockage in my sigmoid colon and THAT was the primary cancer. It is a hard thing to do to -- to second guess decisions. Please keep us updated on your wife.

Sincerely,
Miss Kim
5+ YEAR SURVIVOR
dx 06/03 stage 4 cc, dx 03/07 papillary carcinoma thyroid cancer
"Live Life to Its Fullest!!!"

sandym

Postby sandym » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:08 pm

Hey guys, I know we have privated messaged a lot thru this. How are things going. I just got back from round 2 of chemo for 10 hours- I am wiped out. We met another new oncologist here in our home town today who is working with MD Anderson and he is great. Same prognosis but I intend to show them different. He was open and honest and I liked that. Anyway, I tnink you all need to shop for a new oncologist. I would just to get a different view on things, you may find out such as I did that that the cancer could be something different. Doesnt' hurt to doctor shop when your life is at stake. I will keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers.

Sandy
43 Year Old Female/Mom/Wife
Colon Resection/Hysterctomy Oct 08/2 Ports Surgeries
Folfox/Folfiri/Cisplatin/Irinotecan/Xeloda
Who knows what now?

jennb

Postby jennb » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:29 pm

I hate that you have to go through this...I know how tough and frustrating it is. I was in a similar situation.

You may want to consult/seek a referral to a GYN oncologist. Last summer while on Folfox w/Avastin, a cyst started growing on the right ovary. It became quite a large tumor that enveloped both ovaries. I was running out of space in the abdomen and was in a lot of pain. I ended up having both ovaries and tubes removed. My primary oncologist, colorectal surgeon and GYN oncologist consulted, determined best course of action was surgery and then more chemo. I am now on Erbitux, Camptosar, Avastin and Xeloda.

While on Avastin, I've had 2 major surgeries. April 07 I had a perforated bowel and had emergency surgery 6 days after treatment. Dec 07 was the ovary/tubes surgery and we did wait the 30days.

I'm sending many prayers to you and Lisa,
Jenn
39 - dx Feb 13 2007 Stage IV CRC/liver mets~Ovarian mets 7/07~lung mets 1/09
2/07-10/07FOLFOX6 w/Avastin
10/07-1/09Erbitux/Camptosar/Avastin
8/08-1/09 added Xeloda
1/09-off to Georgetown to find a Trial
Resection 4/07-perforated bowel
temp osotmy

DaughterofatoughSOB

Postby DaughterofatoughSOB » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:38 pm

Summit-
I will be interested to see what you do about the KRAS testing and what your oncologist has to say about it. I will keep your wife and you in my prayers. Keep tough. You are one heck of a hubby!
Kaitlyn

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”