Folfox, 5FU, and Diahrea

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Phil in Az

Folfox, 5FU, and Diahrea

Postby Phil in Az » Sat May 20, 2006 11:43 am

Hey everyone,

it's been a while since i've posted here, life has been busy and crazy and everything else. Well Thursday i started my first round of chemo. I'm on a bi-weekly regimen of Folfox, leukovorin, Oxiliplatin, and 5FU. (sorry for any mispellingings in there)

Anyway since my ilieostomy takedown 7 weeks ago i have had a terrible time getting my j-pouch to settle in to a routine. Diahrea has been the worst of all the problems. Wel as of about 2-3 weeks ago, things started getting better. Stools started forming better, and the burning finally subsided. Well now that it seems to have gotten better - here comes chemo with all it's glorious side effects. Diarhea not being the least of them.

I don't have burning, but the skin on the outside is just raw and bleeding a bit. I feel like i'm wiping w/ sandpaper and am in total misery. I am currently taking Questran 2x daily, and codiene sulfate - 4 pills - 2x twice a day. THese have been working great through yesterday, but this morning has been hell. I have desetin, D&H, and a couple other cremes, but nothing seems to stop the irritation.

I'm also on a low res diet, no dairy, zero veggies, only meats, potatoes, a grilled cheese sandwich every so often, and of course gatorade, juices, and water water wtaer.

Anyone have any tips or tricks to help out here? I feel like i'm doing all the right things but am getting no relief.

-phil

missey

using sandpaper

Postby missey » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:56 pm

Hi Phil,
This is the first time I have logged on. I had my 2nd surgery on May 18th for stage II colon cancer. My first surgery was July 28, 2005 followed by Xeloda. Believe me when I tell you I know how you feel. I think I have had diahrrea for at least the past 10 months. I decided to try Cottonelle wipes instead of regular toilet paper. Made a world of difference to me!!! :D They are flushable, moist and have aloe for healing. I also use A&D ointment. There are other brands just be careful you get some that are flushable!

Hope this helps you as much as it did me.

Missey

northern lights

Postby northern lights » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:29 pm

I want to second that on the moist wipes. Cottonelle, Charmin or even the kids toddler wipes, just not the baby wipes.

I find that Balmex is the best protective cream, because it also wipes off easily and can be re-applied.

Sharon

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”