Stage 3c with no nodes

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
WorriedWife

Re: Stage 3c with no nodes

Postby WorriedWife » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:36 am

SkiFletch wrote:
•Cancer has spread through the serosa (outermost layer) of the colon wall and has spread to nearby organs. Cancer has spread to one or more nearby lymph nodes or cancer cells have formed in tissues near the lymph nodes.

One can be IIIC with no lymphatic spread. If the tumor has penetrated the outer wall of the colon and had a couple cells attach to nearby organs/tissue, that's IIIC. It is indeed very confusing. The "good" news for IIIC cases like yours is that the cancer shows a propensity for growing "out" but doe not seem to how a propensity for expanding via the blood or lymphatic sytem. Tumor like thi are more likely to have local or abdominal recurrence as opposed to liver/lung/lymph recurrence. Doesn't mean it WILL recur that way, or CANT recur another way, just an idea of where the probability/odds are

My hubby is stage IIB and that is what his path report read: spread through the wall, but no organs or no lymph nodes...I always kind of thought that maybe this was the kind of tumor that kept growing but didn't go into the blood or lymphatic system - because it's a T4 tumor they said. This is the first time in almost a year I have seen anyone talk about this like Ski did...stating "Tumors like this are more likely to have local or abdominal recurrence as opposed to liver/lung/lymph recurrence. Doesn't mean it WILL recur that way, or CANT recur another way, just an idea of where the probability/odds are"

Didn't mean to hijack this post ...but just got happy to see someone say that....... even though a local abdominal recurrence wouldn't be good....(wherever that would be)

As always, prayers for everyone...
Hubby
CC Stg. 2b
Dx 6/12
surgery & reconnect
opted out Folfox
Pet Scan Aug NED
abscess/fistula for over a year
ongoing Dec 2013
Praying for each and every one of you

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”