Unfortunately you are now in waiting mode. When tumors are large it usually means they have been there for a while, and the longer they are there, the longer the cancer has had to migrate. That said, there are people on this board who had smallish polyps who are Stage IV and people with HUGE tumors who are Stage II. There are still parts of the puzzle that need to be gathered before you can really know what's up.
The bleeding is worrisome and problematic from an anemia perspective, if nothing else. I don't really know if more blood or less blood would be an indication of greater likelihood of metastasis, but my bet is that it is not a conclusive sign one way or the other.
They will probably want to do a CT scan between now and the surgery to get a look at the rest of the abdomen and possibly the chest. That will give them some idea of what the cancer has been up to. If those scans come back with signs of metastases, then you will have to have a conversation about the order in which you do things. Chemo, surgery, chemo or Surgery, chemo, surgery. Or some other combination. Given the amount of blood he seems to be losing, I would imagine they will want to proceed with the colon resection sooner than later.
If the scans come back clean, then you will have to wait for the pathology report from the colon surgery before you can really make a plan.
The waiting and wondering is NO FUN!!! I'm so sorry that you have to go through this.
Keep us posted as you get more information. There are lots of people here with lots of experience. We aren't docs, but we can help you navigate this process.
colon resection 12/07
Liver resection 04/08
Phase I vaccine trial
liver, lung LN mets
tried Oxi, Iri and Avastin
now trying new chemo combos then sir spheres
College prof in theatre & voice
2 girls 18 & 14, one son 10