HIPEC & still in ICU a week later with pulm. edema

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
fourT's

HIPEC & still in ICU a week later with pulm. edema

Postby fourT's » Tue May 14, 2013 12:43 pm

To start out, the cute dog that is my avatar had to be put down just days before my hubby's HIPEC :( Hubby was out of town so the kids and I had to do it.

Tim had his HIPEC surgery on May 7th which was 1 week from today. The surgery took a total of 9.5 hours. He had a mass on a seminal vesicle near the bladder and rectal wall. They had to leave some of that mass behind or else they would have had to remove some or all of his bladder. They removed a few inches of colon and reconnected it at the rectal wall. No ostomy was needed. They found spread to the lower left and top of peritoneum. They removed his spleen, part of his pancreas, and his omentum.

They next day after surgery, he was having difficulty with his NG tube coming up Into his mouth. The ICU nurse tried to readjust it but it came out. They tried for several days getting it back in with and without sedatives but it was too painful for my husband. Finally, 3 days after surgery, he was so distended that they had to intubate him to place him on a ventilator and put the NG back in. His lung function was decreasing and is abdomen was huge. He remained on the vent for a day and a half. He was given oxygen through a face mask throughout Sunday until that night when they put him on a BiPAP machine. So far it is working and they don't feel he needs to be back on a vent just yet. Chest X-rays show he has respiratory edema and probable pneumonia. He had klebsiella already and now has been diagnosed with MRSA. This is day 7 in the ICU with no immediate plans of getting moved. The lung issues are an unfortunate blow after such a hard surgery. I had so much guilt about him having this surgery and was so afraid of losing him. The doc said that systemic chemo alone to what he had inside would have given him less than a 25% chance of surviving. Day by day be plug along and pray that he gets past this hurdle.

Tracy
Husband dx 4/08 @ 38
Stage IV
colon resect 4/08/liver resect 10/08
11/09 NED-3/10 colo-pleural fistula/ileo
6/10 ileo rev
3/13 mets to peritoneum/HIPEC
Chemo since 9/14
wife/18 yr dau/14 yr son-Loves God!

ziggymonster

Re: HIPEC & still in ICU a week later with pulm. edema

Postby ziggymonster » Tue May 14, 2013 1:58 pm

I am sorry to hear about your husbands troubles....and pray that he starts to improve....he has been thru a awful lot...it will take time. I am also sorry to hear about your furbaby....they give us so much comfort when your life is upside down!! To lose one during this period is devastating....my little poodle is dying from cancer herself....I'm so sad.

Hang in as best you can.
DX advanced prostate cancer 2002
2014 still fighting mPca , failed surgery, radiation, hormone
DX Stage IIIa Rectal Cancer 12/12 1 of 12 nodes +
LAR permanent colostomy 1/13
Folfox 2/13 - 7/13 clear CT CEA 1.2
7/14 liver met chemo the resect in Oct
6/15 2 pos lung mets watching for now

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Tue May 14, 2013 2:04 pm

Yikes, edema and pneumonia are dangerous things following surgery. Hope he can get it licked and get on the road to recovery
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

janklo
Facebook Username: JanetKlostermann

Postby janklo » Tue May 14, 2013 3:32 pm

I'm so sorry about your doggie! What a time to have that happen! Looks like your husband has been through a lot. My daughter's HIPEC was kind of like that, she never recovered and then she got pneumonia. She did recover from the pneumonia though, even though they gave her a small chance of doing so. She was on the ventilator for 5 days.

Unfortunately, she couldn't get back on chemo quickly enough and the cancer took over. I hope your husband recovers and gets back to chemo asap.
Mom to 28 yo daughter
colectomy 2/22/10, stage 3C, signet cell
7/2011 peritoneal mets
HIPEC September 2012, difficult recovery
Hospice 10/31/2012, Died 11/16/2012

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Tue May 14, 2013 5:21 pm

Hi Tracy,

First, so sorry about your pup. What an awful time to love your beloved dog.

Second, I can imagine your fear with what is going on with your husband. My son went through a very similar thing (though not cancer related) after surgery about five years ago-- coma, ventilator, pneumonia, sepsis, pulmonary edema...it was the most terrifying thing I've ever been through. It was really touch and go for awhile, but eventually he recovered. My heart and prayers are with you and your husband. It seemed to me that once my son turned the corner, things started getting better quite quickly, after days and days of really bad news and increasing despair. I pray that will happen for you two. Sending you many gentle hugs. Please try to get the rest you MUST have.

xox

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

SMR

Postby SMR » Tue May 14, 2013 5:39 pm

Like the others, I'm so sorry to hear about both your husbands situation, and your puppy.

I know how terrifying things must be right now. DH was in ICU longer than expected after HIPEC, and actually had to be opened back up two days later because he had continued diffuse internal bleeding. Like Bev, I found that once he did finally turn the corner, things got much better quickly. That is not to say that there weren't bumps in the road to recovery, but things became stable and stayed that way. I hope the same holds true for your DH even though the situation is not exactly the same as my DH went through.

Sending you warm wishes,
Stacey
DH DX 10/11 st IV unkown prmry
FFOX 12/11
HIPEC 3/12
FFOX 5/12
7/12 FFIRI
12/12 xeloda
1/13 resection
2/13 FFIRI
4/13 5FU/Avastin
9/13 recurrence, failed surgery
Abdominal fistula
11/13 gemzar, heart attack
12/13 Carbo
2/14 Radiation
3/28/2014 passed

hannahw

Postby hannahw » Tue May 14, 2013 6:22 pm

So sorry to hear about your dog and your husband's post surgery complications. When it rains, it pours. But it sounds like you've taken a good approach to dealing with it all - one step at a time.

I think when a loved one is hospitalized it can feel endless and the complications can sometimes feel hopeless. It's like, when are we going to catch a break? Or at least stop getting stuck with so much misfortune? It can be hard to see, let alone appreciate, the small improvements and the setbacks really knock the wind out of your sails. Try to avoid the guilt. Nothing in cancer treatment is 100% certain. You make the best decision you can with the information that is available. Sometimes things go according to plan, sometimes they don't. When they don't, it's not because you did something wrong. It doesn't mean you made a bad decision.

My Dad once had a procedure that somehow managed to be both relatively safe and somewhat risky. When I saw the anesthesiologist after the procedure was over he said something like "you have no idea how incredible the GI doc was today. He accomplished more in that procedure than is reasonably possible. If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it." So, we felt pretty good about ourselves. We got an exceptional result, so it must have been the right choice, right? Not long after, the GI confided that he had done a similar procedure with another patient and it had not gone well at all. He was able to avert complete catastrophe (ie, death) but the procedure was basically a complete failure. Why did my Dad's procedure go well while someone else's procedure went poorly? The situations were fairly similar. Did that other family make a bad choice, or did they just get a bad result? Or did our family make a bad choice and simply luck out? I really don't know, but I don't think either family made a bad decision. It's hard not to marvel at the randomness of it all. If my Dad hadn't done the procedure, he would be dead today. But, there was certainly a risk that complications from the procedure could have killed him.

Keep on keepin on. One of these days you'll look up and the doctor will be telling you it's time for discharge.
Daughter of Dad with Stage IV CC

chrissyrice

Postby chrissyrice » Tue May 14, 2013 7:17 pm

Oh I am so sorry to hear about what your husband, you, and your family are going through. I can only offer prayers for healing and comfort.

This just sucks, but don't second guess yourself on this surgery.

Hope against hope is all we have at times.
DX 10-31-09 Surgery 12-1-09 Sigmoid Colon
Stage IIIb T3,N2,MX; Chemo Feb 2010-Aug 2010; 4 rounds Folfox; 8 rounds 5FU +LV
12/2010 PET/CT Scan, Cancer Free
7/2012 CT Scan NED 2 years
10/2013 NED 3 years
8/2014 NED 4 years
Recurrence 6/2015: iliac lymph node(s)
8/2015 Surgery: 3 cm tumor removed+iliac artery graft
3/2016 CT Scan Stable
6/2016 Stable
9/2016 Stable
12/2016 Stable
3/2017 Stable
Recurrence 6/2017
12/2017 Surgery removed all cancer w/ clean margins
07-27-2018 Cancer-free for 7 months

juliekei

Postby juliekei » Wed May 15, 2013 3:56 am

Prayers for you and Tim...
Dx Stage 4 8/10 age 38 (mom of 2)
LH 9/10
5FU/Folfox
SBO surgery 8/11
HIPEC#1 6/12
8 rounds of FOLFIRI
HIPEC#2 5/13
VATS for 3 lung nodules 1/14
Xeloda & Avastin
SBRT 8/14
Fistula 4/15
Radiation to pelvic tumor 7/15
Liver/Peri mets 11/15

Bev G

Postby Bev G » Thu May 16, 2013 8:22 am

Hi Tracy,

I've been thinking about you and Tim non-stop and wondered if you might have time to let us know how things are going? I pray his condition is much better than last time you posted. If you don't have the time/energy, just please know that many of your friends here have you two in their prayers---I'm sure of that!

Love,

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

so-scared

Postby so-scared » Thu May 16, 2013 10:24 am

Tracy,

I am so sorry about your dog and I hope that your husband has turned the corner now and is improving daily. Hang in there!
DH 51 yo
dx 5/16/11 stg 4 RC
mets both lobes liver & lung
6/11 chem/rad
FOLFOX 9-12/11
12/11 TME/liver resect/rfa (15 tumors)
more Folfox w/Avastin
5/12 innumerable mets liver
Folfox/Avas FAIL
9/12 FOLFIRI/Erb FAIL
HAI pump 12/12
Had to leave 5/23/14

fourT's

Postby fourT's » Thu May 16, 2013 8:09 pm

Yesterday (May 15) Tim had a pretty good day. The hospital he is at is just over 1 hour away so his Mom, Dad, and I take turns spending 2 nights at a time in the ICU with him. I also have a 16 and 12 year old at home and I work full-time with Elem. special needs kids. Yesterday, Tim got a shave and his hair washed. They had him off the BiPAP machine for around 8 hours and he was able to maintain an acceptable pulse ox level. He was out of bed and in a chair for a few hours also. Then last night, he spiked a rather high fever. They put him back on the BiPAP machine for sleeping last night and my father-in-law said he was extremely restless. He was just busy and even took his blood pressure cuff off not really knowing what he was doing.

The update today is that they are treating him for thrush. They tried to turn off the suction for the NG tube for awhile but he got nauseous so they turned it back on. They really want to get him off the NG tube so they can start fluids. They didn't push him too much today since it really seemed to set him back last night. They also said the 4 a.m. chest x-ray showed that the pulmonary edema was a little worse today. I will head back tomorrow afternoon for another 2 nights with him. I am feeling defeated and discouraged. I'm sure Tim is as well. He is now 9 days post surgery and still in ICU. I just pray things start to improve soon.

Tracy
Last edited by fourT's on Thu May 16, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Husband dx 4/08 @ 38
Stage IV
colon resect 4/08/liver resect 10/08
11/09 NED-3/10 colo-pleural fistula/ileo
6/10 ileo rev
3/13 mets to peritoneum/HIPEC
Chemo since 9/14
wife/18 yr dau/14 yr son-Loves God!

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Thu May 16, 2013 9:25 pm

Praying right there with you Tracy. Please keep us posted.
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

Bev G

Postby Bev G » Thu May 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Praying too, Tracy.