scars? and tattoos?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
cynnycal

scars? and tattoos?

Postby cynnycal » Tue May 16, 2006 12:57 pm

just wondering...those of you who have scars on their abdomen...has anyone done, or thought about getting a tattoo to cover it?
i've wanted to get the one on my shoulder covered up for sometime, but now i think i have an excuse to cover it up, and maybe incorporate something later on that will extend down to tie in with where the scar will be.
of course, for me this is well down the road...
i guess i watch too much 'miami ink'
;)

Maggie

Postby Maggie » Tue May 16, 2006 2:19 pm

Hi, I don't have any tattoos...but I just wanted to let you know that sometimes your posts just crack me up and I truly appreciate the attitude you take regarding all you're going through (even when you're mad!) Good luck on the tattoo!!!
Maggie

Joy

Postby Joy » Tue May 16, 2006 4:20 pm

I want to have the radiation reference tatoos on my butt joined to make the maple leaf.

Very patriotic for a Canadian eh!

Terry Miller

Tattoo Options

Postby Terry Miller » Tue May 16, 2006 5:22 pm

The only way I'd get a tattoo would be when I am under anesthetic. I use to joke about my scar that I could cover it with a snake tattoo. However, that would have to hurt. Besides, the scar is a great thing to show off at family reunions, the locker room, in the grocery store (I actually did that), and many more places too numerous to count. All three of my daughters got a tattoo on their 18th birthday. I'm not that brave! Take care and keep us informed of your decision. Terry

susanz

scars? and tattoos?

Postby susanz » Tue May 16, 2006 8:29 pm

cynnycal, you remind me so much of my daughter. she hasn't had any tattoos but before her surgery last november, she was obsessed about taking out her belly button ring because she knew the hole would close up very quickly. they had already made her remove her tongue piercing before chemo and her nose stud was going to have to come out too. so she harrassed her surgeon so many times about her bellybutton that, during surgery, he actually put a surgical suture into the hole to keep it open until she could put the ring back in. he was so proud of himself! said it was the first time he ever did that. she repierced her nose herself while she was on the morphine pump recovering from the operation!
sorry for rambling, but you and my daughter (she's 23, by the way) definitely have STYLE! keep the posts coming and lots of luck to you..susan

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Wed May 17, 2006 12:03 am

hahaha! awesome!
yea, i have a small nose stud, and a tongue ring (actually forgot i was gonna make a post bout something related to that...). i took it out when i had the port put in, and as soon as i came out from the fog in recovery i asked for my jewelry and put it back in before i even put my clothes on.
my mom obsesses with me to take it out during chemo. but i haven't and don't plan on it....unless something really drastic happens. I mean, i've had em for ever 6 years now...it's actually more strange for me to NOT have my tongue ring in.
my mouth suddenly feels too big without it. ;)
eeevverytime she sees me she groans about "you STILL haven't taken that out??"
the doctors don't know what to say. they kinda scratch their heads and go "well...we never had a case where someone had a pierced tongue. earrings maybe...but tongue? noooo"
BUT!! the last time i was in for chemo my doctor was asking about any side effects, and i didn't have much of any. i did say, that while i was getting the chemo, and for a couple days afterwards, i have a very slight strange aftertaste when i eat or drink. not quite metallic, but just...strange.
my doc said "you know, you're tongue ring is actually probably HELPING with that, the negative ions in the metal in the ring probably help to counteract the metallic taste you could get....tell your mom that."
and you better believe i did. (regardless of how much baloney it may be...gave me good reason to gloat to my mom) ;)

aaanywho, i have three small tattoos. one on my shoulder, one on my ankle, and one on the arch of my foot. i'd always wanted to cover up the one on my shoulder and then just somehow connect all 3 (craziness, i know)...the only things holding me back where...well, money. and the fact that i kinda like my nice flat smooth stomach. it's pretty skin, and after three years of training a martial art...i actually have a vague hint of a six pack to show off.
so i had always imagined something feminine, organic, vinelike winding down from the one on my shoulder and around my belly...i never took the plunge b/c i really just liked the look of my skin.
Well, hell, now, i'm gonna be opened up and gutted like a fish, so i take it as a sign!! a sign i tell you! to do it, decorate my freshly mutilated skin with pretty things.

though, one girl gave me a really good insight on her scar. She wants to leave it there and show it off b/c she figures, she payed aLOOOOT of money for that scar, more than a tattoo..heh, guess she's right.

joy...your idea is HIGHlarious. i say DO IT!

and for anyone dismissing this idea b/c they feel too old...do not misjudge, for my moms 50th birthday a couple years ago i asked what she wanted, and she (amazingly) said a tattoo. So i took her to the guy i go to, and she whips out a picture of the wicked witch from Snow White...but the part where she was disguised as the old woman that gives snow white the apple.
and she says to my tattoo guy "and i want it right on my ass"
I nearly fell out from laughter. and my boyfriend was less than thrilled that he was in the same room with my mom bent over a stool bare-assed. i think it traumatized him a bit.
and when i asked her why she wanted the old woman she said "well, i'm 50, so i'm officially an 'old crone' now."
soooooo...i say go for it.

(p.s....it doesn't hurt! it stings a bit, but after its done its done. no more pain. and every few lines or so they spray some nice cool stuff on there and wipe off excess ink...it's like your little mini-relief. an "aaahhhh" moment")

Billy

Mee too

Postby Billy » Wed May 17, 2006 1:42 pm

Cyn,

I have a couple of tattoos and a few piercings as well. Through the course of all my treatments, I wound up loosing a few of the piercings. Ever since I saw my first surgical scar I wanted to get a tattoo that somehow incorporated it. I’ve also long wanted to get at least one tattoo about my cancer and my struggle. I have an idea about putting one on my chest, just below my portacath, that has an arrow and the words “Insert Chemo Here”. Unfortunately, for now at least, part of my regular medical regime is Coumadin. I just checked with my cardiologist today, and he says there is no way I should get tattooed while taking the pills. So, guess I’ll have to wait a while for some new work.

Billy
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

http://billyscolon.blogspot.com

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Wed May 17, 2006 2:13 pm

billy, that's awesome...the 'insert chemo here' one. but..won't you eventually have your port taken out? not that it would mean any less...
i'm fond of referring to my port as my third nipple..so i dunno if i'd want to incorporate a nipple in tattoo form.
though i think it'd be funny to paint all around the port the "easy button" from staples.
so when i go in to get blood drawn i can tell the nurse, "don't worry bout IV's, here, just use the easy button"

anywho, yes, i know it's something that'd be a loooooooonnnggg time in the making, it's not like i'd want to do this next week or anything. i mean..hell...i don't even HAVE scars yet. (well save for the portacath, but i'm not too concerned bout that)
it's just something i started thinking about more and more (again, after watching marathons of miami ink...damn i love that show. love me some Ami!)

i was thinking...in terms of something about the caner (which i'd definitely want to do too) i was thinking, symbol-wise, of a Pheonix. but again...very far in the making, the way i figure it though (after my mistake of getting a butterfly when i was 17 that i know horribly regret) you should think about what you want to get, and really sit on it for awhile. and if you feel the same way in a year or so, as you did when you first decided on it, it's probably something you won't live to regret later.

sooooo, i'll start now. and when i'm off chemo and through surgery and all that, i'll get the first step started...and just wait and wait til the scars fully heal over, and even then some.

Stacey

tattoos

Postby Stacey » Fri May 19, 2006 10:48 am

I've just checked in after being gone for awhile. I love this thread! In order to tattoo your scars, most artists will tell you that you need to wait at least one year. I know, waiting sucks! But the skin needs to be totally healed. Plus you are not suppossed to be on chemo at all when you get tattoos.

I started getting my back done after finding out I had cancer. I got a tribal down my spine in celebration of remission, and a panther with more tribal when I found out I had a reoccurence. If I ever get off of chemo again I'm getting a white tiger, dragon and phoenix added to my back. All of these things symbolize my battle with this disease, as well as representing my three children.

Good luck with your tats.

Stacey

Billy

Chemo

Postby Billy » Fri May 19, 2006 12:28 pm

Stacey,

What have you heard about getting a tattoo while on chemo?

Billy
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

http://billyscolon.blogspot.com

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Fri May 19, 2006 3:25 pm

Stacy, you have any pics of the tatt's to share?

Stacey

Scars and tattoos

Postby Stacey » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:41 pm

My doctor told me that while I was on chemo I would bleed more, plus be more susceptible in infections and possibly Hepititus C.

I have a picture of my back but I don't know how to put it on here.

Tatas are personal and I would love to get my stomach scar covered but my husband really doesn't want me to do it. He likes my stomach regardless. :lol:

Stacey

Eileen

Postby Eileen » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:53 pm

Well, I do have to admit after having my second colonoscopy I have thought about having an "EXIT ONLY" sign tattooed on my bottom!!!!! :wink:
Love and Prayers,
Eileen
Stage IIIB

momof2crazyboyz

Postby momof2crazyboyz » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:14 pm

Cynncal -- Did you ever get a tattoo? I have just finished chemo - 2 weeks ago -- they told me I have to wait until my numbers come up (white count and platlets too low).

I am going to get a butterfly on top of my foot to symbolize the stages of my life -- transformation -- rebirth (now that i am done with chemo). I also am going to get the Blue CC ribbon around my bellybutton with a thinking fairy on top of it... to symbolize my continue fight with this disease. I had a lap resection so I only have little scars on my belly. Very lucky - picked a great surgeon.

My husband got a tattoo on his belly of the celctic love note with 3 dragon heads (symboizing me, and my 2 boys) in dark blue for the representation of CC -- he got it done half way through my chemo cycle. Looks very cool ( right above his six pack)...

Thanks for the continued laughter re: your posts!!.. Cathy
STOP COLON CANCER -- MOON A DOCTOR!
Stage II CC NED 3/07 (HNPCC - Lynch Syndrome)

missjv

Postby missjv » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:09 pm

hi,
well i already have enough tattoos and piercings that at my age (40) i probably shouldn't get anymore. i did think about getting something on my stomach but my scars are so huge i was cut from my boobs to my crotch and then all the way across as well so i don't know what i could even get to cover it but as time goes by it is fading and i think i will leave it as it is if people question me i will just tell them my story i guess.

missjv

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”