MD Anderson/TX, simple lodging, maybe the church....

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
annikamolander

MD Anderson/TX, simple lodging, maybe the church....

Postby annikamolander » Sun May 05, 2013 4:18 am

Hi,
I have just been at MD Anderson. I got an appointment with very short notice, as I arrived back in Sweden. I will basically have to return right away. Going alone, I appreciated all friendly, and kind people I got in contact with during my travel, and meeting many other MD A. patients at the hotel I stayed at.

There is a convention there next week, and all hotels are fully booked, I spent much time phoning around. Of course, there are hotels
maybe by the Bush airport, although it would be more simple to stay close by. In Europe, different churches and The Quakers offer
simple lodging. Do you have info. about lodging to me and other CC-members? I have already checked the well known smaller hotels,
that have shuttles to MD A etc.

Are you at the MD A now? Support gruops?

Tips on ev. liversurgeons at MD A? I understand all docs are excellent there. I have no idea what surgery etc
I will recieve.

Take care, Ann

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Re: MD Anderson/TX, simple lodging, maybe the church....

Postby dianetavegia » Sun May 05, 2013 6:19 am

A wife of a former church member went there and they stayed at the campground. Rented an RV. There was shuttle service ever hour or so plus cabins to rent. The hospital gave them the information. They couldn't afford hotels, etc. They were able to cook their own meals by staying in an RV. I believe there was also shuttle service from the airport, but I might be wrong.
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

RayGirl

Postby RayGirl » Sun May 05, 2013 7:17 am

Stage III Rectal: T3, 3/21 Nodes
dxn:Feb-10
Radiation&Xeloda
7.5 hr surgery
12th FOLFOX Nov-10
Takedown:Jan-11

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

concernedrelative

Postby concernedrelative » Sun May 05, 2013 8:38 am

We found space at the Wyndam, across the street from the Texas Medical Center on Main Street. It changed franchises from a Holiday Inn 2 months ago. They're in the process of renovating while still running the place but it is convenient and moderately affordable wih a shuttle to MDA (as most chains have). The 2 bedroom suite worked for us @ $247 since we had multiple people in our party. Try to get one of the non-smoking floors as we had no choice.

http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/texas/hou ... l-overview
Crgvr to 37 y.o. DW
3/11 Dx IV w mets lungs, xeloxi/avastin
8/12 switch irino/avastin
4/13 2nd line failed
6/13 imprime pgg trial failed
7/13 stivarga started/failed
9/13 folfiri+erb
Lost her valiant and noble fight 022114

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:12 am

Ann,

I have always let patient services make my travel arrangements, flights and hotels. Have you already tried them?
http://www.mdanderson.org/patient-and-cancer-information/guide-to-md-anderson/getting-here/travel-to-houston.html

In 2006, Dr. Eddie Abadalla was my liver surgeon. I met with him at the initial consult, and again, 3 days before the surgery. He was very thorough, and took the time to answer all my questions. He was so calm and confident that he made me feel the same. The only complications I had from the surgery were back pain, possibly from the epidural, and, after I was discharged, from the hospital, some swelling in my legs that was handled with Lasix. I have heard wonderful things about other surgeons there, too.

Best wishes,
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

TheBurn

Postby TheBurn » Tue May 07, 2013 8:15 pm

MD Anderson has housing attached to the hospital or maybe around the corner. We stayed there a few years back when my dad went for a second opinion on his pancreatic cancer treatment.

http://www.mdanderson.org/patient-and-cancer-information/guide-to-md-anderson/services-and-amenities/rotary-house-international/index.html
Living Life Colon-Free
-----------------------------------------
RC 7/20/10
Proctocolectomy/ileo 10/22/10; Sx Path - T3N1M0
Folfox - 1/12/11; Xelox - 2/23/11
Xeloda - 3/16-6/21/11
Chemo-rad 6/29-8/8/11
NED 8/15/11

Christylyn

Postby Christylyn » Tue May 07, 2013 11:29 pm

We are being seen at Anderson right now, arrived this last Monday. There is an oil technology conference going on this week which has brought over 100,000 extra people into the down town area. We were able to get a room at the Hampton Inn on I-10/Energy Corridor. However, ALL of the hotels anywhere near Anderson will have grossly inflated pricing this week due to the conference. (The manager here admitted openly to the price gouging and said all of the hotels do it.) Be aware that costs are tripled for this week. However, they return to normal on Saturday of this week. I could not find a room anywhere else and I called every, single hotel on the list on Anderson's website. Social worker from the hospital didn't have any better luck. There is no shuttle from here...we have had to drive. Freeway traffic was horrible, so we've been taking the side street routes and it runs about 45 mins, each way. It's about 15 miles or so from the hospital. Best advice may be to call the hospital and speak to a social worker. If there is anything at all available, they can help you get it! Best of luck to you!

shmurciakova

Postby shmurciakova » Fri May 10, 2013 3:53 pm

Geez Christy, I can't believe you are having to stay that far away! :( The public transportation in Houston is non-existant. I hope some of my other advice helped. Where is the "energy corridor"? I sure wish I had some advice regarding places to stay but since my parents live 10 min. away it was never a concern for me. Is there a hostel in Houston? hmmm....Well, I hope you find something Annika and I hope you find something better next trip Christy! There is one place called the Robin's Nest B&B - it is not too terribly outrageous. You should both give them a call...if nothing else maybe they can help you.
I also thought that there were volunteers who host patients in their homes, might want to call MDA about that.
areas of town close by include downtown, the museum district, rice university, Greenway Plaza, Bellaire, Meyerland - all w/in a 10 min. drive.
-Susan H.
diagnosed at 31 in 2002, Stage IV
Sigmoid colectomy - 6 mos 5-FU/Leukovorin
liver resection - 6 rounds XELIRI (xeloda/irinotecan)
lung wedge resection Oct. 2004 - no chemo
NED!!

anneva

Postby anneva » Fri May 10, 2013 4:06 pm

Hi,

Thanks for info, and best wishes to everyone.

Ann

TimT

Postby TimT » Fri May 10, 2013 6:37 pm

Try the extended stay deluxe on braeswood blvd. just a few blocks from MDACC.
TT
CRC: dx T3N0M0 1/11
chemoradiation 6 wks - 2/11
surgery LAR 5/11 - T2N0M0
4 mos xel 7/11
reverasal 12/11

RayGirl

Postby RayGirl » Sat May 11, 2013 12:59 am

[quote="shmurciakova"]Geez Christy, I can't believe you are having to stay that far away! :( The public transportation in Houston is non-existant. I hope some of my other advice helped. Where is the "energy corridor"? /quote]

It's the Katy freeway in between galleria and just west of BW8. There are some bus routes that run from there to the med center, but probably not that convenient an option and yes Houston traffic is horrible.
Stage III Rectal: T3, 3/21 Nodes
dxn:Feb-10
Radiation&Xeloda
7.5 hr surgery
12th FOLFOX Nov-10
Takedown:Jan-11

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Christylyn

Postby Christylyn » Mon May 20, 2013 7:14 pm

We ended up able to relocate to the Crowne Plaza Medical Center for our last few days in Houston. Minutes from Anderson and they have a shuttle that drops off and picks up several times each day. I have to say that the service at Crowne Plaza was top notch. It's older and maybe not as perfect as some of the newer hotels, but their staff just did everything they could to help us out and make sure my hubby was comfortable and had what he needed, which included some special meal preparation in their dining room. They were awesome. They also gave a medical discount, but you have to ask for it!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”