New diagnosis...scared doesn't begin to cover it....

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Christylyn

Re: New diagnosis...scared doesn't begin to cover it....

Postby Christylyn » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:36 am

I so appreciate the experiences and knowledge shared! I handle things so much better when I feel like I know what to expect. Since we don't have a lot of extended family close by it also helps having an idea of how we can best utilize the offers of help that we do have right now. Several of my family and long time friends who are back in Missouri have made the offer to come out for 2 weeks and pitch in (using their vacation time to do it!) so our helpers will come in a rotation. We live in a very rural, mountain location which means that if we do daily radiation appointments as everyone is telling me those work, then we have an hour and a half drive each way for those every day. It may be early to be asking this since we haven't even been to Anderson yet, but is sounds like chemo and radiation are definitely going to be necessary according to what all of the docs here at home are telling us, so....Can anyone tell me a little about what to expect as far as how my hubby is going to feel as we go thru the radiation and chemo phases? What physical (and mental/emotional) effects can we expect him to likely experience? Are they done at the same time or is it one and then the other follows? The last poster said that she felt pretty good following her radiation treatments, other than for an hour or so afterward. Is that typical? I guess what I need to know is will my hubby be physically up to making a 3 hour round trip drive daily or should I be looking at the probable need to stay closer to where his treatments are being done during that time? I guess the same question when chemo begins. I am also wondering if I need to switch bedrooms with our daughter. Right now, our bedroom is on the 2nd floor of the house, requiring him to walk up and pretty good flight of stairs to get there. I haven't seen a lot of posts saying people had great difficulty getting around, but it seems like many are younger than my hubby and probably in better physical condition when treatment began. My hubby is 65 and while healthy as a horse up til now, he has been a rancher and daredevil for most of his life and has been pretty rough on his body. He's sometimes slow to get around now due to old hip and ankle injuries. We always just refer to those as a little hitch in his giddyup, but I wonder if those combined with the effects of chemo and/or radiation will limit his ability to get around well even more. I just want to make things as easy on him and try to put him in the position of having the least stress and frustration as possible as he goes thru this. I am counting down the days til we leave for Anderson. I just want to get there and get this going.

shmurciakova

Postby shmurciakova » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:03 pm

You can certainly do chemo and radiation at home I am sure. I had my surgeries at MDA, but all the chemo, and whatnot were in Alaska. I had a local oncologist. I elected to go down to MDA 4x/year at first for my followups, but after a while I thought to myself, why am I sill doing this - and the had my followups at home. It was a 2 hour drive one way for me from my home to Anchorage - so I can sympathize with that aspect! I did not have radiation though, so I don't really know about the side effects and whatnot. Hopefully someone else can answer your questions about that.
I have to say. Houston has some of the best restaurants in the world! I would highly recommend getting a restaurant guide and taking advantage of that. Where is your hotel? As I said, i grew up there and my parents still live there, so I can give you some recommendations - as I am sure others on here can too!
diagnosed at 31 in 2002, Stage IV
Sigmoid colectomy - 6 mos 5-FU/Leukovorin
liver resection - 6 rounds XELIRI (xeloda/irinotecan)
lung wedge resection Oct. 2004 - no chemo
NED!!

justin case

Postby justin case » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:22 pm

I was like your husband. Surely I wasn't going to need chemo, and probably I would only need a minor surgery to take out the cancer. Well I was started on chemo, and surely that would do the trick, and I wouldn't even need surgery! After all,chemo was not that bad :| Well, then my onc wanted to start me on a chemo cocktail that didn't sound very pleasant, as far as side effects go, so I went for chemo/radiation instead. Whew, 6 weeks of that and what the heck, I went through chemo, chemo/radiation, I might as well have surgery :| Well,I came out of surgery with an illiostomy and of course I wasn't expecting that either, but what could I do about it now. I was out of the hospital for 8 days, before I was admitted for dehydration. Then a few days after that, I was admitted for a blockage, had surgery again, and came out of surgery without an illiostomy. I had a 6 week recovery, then 12 more rounds of chemo. It's over now, but when it all started, I was like your husband, it would be easier for me :roll:
Regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

RayGirl

Postby RayGirl » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:32 pm

My daily radiation treatment took about 15 minutes each, Monday-Friday. Chemo is at the same time. Typically your doctor will choose between the pill form, Xeloda or the injected form of 5Fu, that is connected by a pump that is worn in a fanny pack. I choose the pills because with a toddler in the house, I wanted to look as normal as possible. I lived in a suburb of Houston and choose to be treated near home rather than drive into Houston for radiation at MDA everyday.

Like I said during radiation I felt fairly normal other than for that hour or so in the afternoon after treatment, worse part was it always hit me while I was cooking supper. My oldest kiddo had to turn off the stove the first couple days, before i learned to just cockpot dinner while I was doing treament, so I didnt burn supper. True some people don't respond as favorably, but I know I am not the only one who had fairly easy radiation cycle.
Stage III Rectal: T3, 3/21 Nodes
dxn:Feb-10
Radiation&Xeloda
7.5 hr surgery
12th FOLFOX Nov-10
Takedown:Jan-11

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

WorriedWife

Postby WorriedWife » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:12 am

Christylyn,
My hubby was dx last summer and we never, ever talk about it. He will not come in here either or any forum - zilch. I think it's just too scary to accept.
Hubby
CC Stg. 2b
Dx 6/12
surgery & reconnect
opted out Folfox
Pet Scan Aug NED
abscess/fistula for over a year
ongoing Dec 2013
Praying for each and every one of you

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:07 am

Your husband should be able to do the radiation closer to home, especially if you live in TX. TX Oncology has a LOT of locations. I can tell you that the one in Paris is a godsend for me!

Keep a list of questions that come up as they come up. It's a discipline but I can tell you that you'll get into the onc's office and all the questions you've had in the last week or two will have flown right out of your head! Also, at this point of the journey, write down the answers so you and DH can refer back to it when you get home. So many details, so much information...you get to where you're overloaded with information and still feel like you don't know a danged thing! It can very overwhelming!

If he's going to have radiation, go head and get something Boudreaux' Butt Paste or Calmoseptine to help with radiation burns which are a cumulative result of radiation. Also have baby wipes right by the toilet. I know, a lot times, I needed a tub of hot water waiting for me after a bowel movement. He's going to need protein to help him have the strength in his muscles to get around. I was told Carnation Instant Breakfast has many nutrients as Ensure or Boost at a lot less cost. Zofran and Phenergan are really helpful in dealing with the nausea and queasiness of the chemo. Also, sipping ginger tea (I sue Stash Lemon & Ginger Tea) or letting a ginger snap dissolve in your mouth helps with the nausea. For the bone and/or muscle aches, I use a heated lap robe but a heated pad might bring blessed relief. If he does get the radiation burns around the anus, try to have a place where he can privately lay with a fan blowing on the affected area. That and a damp wash cloth that I would refrigerate for a while were godsends in dealing with the burns.

Emotionally, it's just too vast for the human mind to comprehend fully what's happened, what will happen and you can ever hope to see the end you want. I know prayer helped me in that I just handed it over to God. He's big enough to deal with it and I'm not. All I can do is the next right thing. Some days, I would have to hand it over several times a day.

There are lots of people on here that can and will give you lots of good advice on dealing with the different aspects of chemo and radiation side effects. As stuff comes up, be sure and come back here and ask. We're more than happy to help another fellow traveller get further down the road.

God bless ~
Guinevere
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi Christylyn,
Regarding you moving your husband downstairs to your daughters room...I don't think that will be necessary unless you don't have a bathroom near your upstairs room. While your daughters room may be more convenient, I always felt most comfortable resting in my own bed and would prefer walking up the extra stairs just so I can rest in my own room.

Moods? Yes, you most likely will experience mood swings from your hubby. In fact, you will probably see the whole spectrum of moods :roll: going from occasional helplessness feelings (even though you say he is a tough old bird) to crabby, snappy, unpleasant moods. Your job as #1 caregiver is to respect what he is going through and roll with the punches (unless he is downright verbally abusive to you). An example for me was when I'd be resting in my bed and I could hear my kids (15 and 12) giving my wife a hard time about chores or homework, I would drag myself out of bed and unleash on them about being disrespectful, ungrateful, etc..etc...maybe a few cuss words that I typically never say around them. Then my wife would come back to the bedroom after I cooled down and I would feel bad and ask her to send the kids in so I could apologize and try to calmly discuss with them what their mother is going through and how I need them to be on best behavior, blah, blah.

Guineverre gave good advice on what to expect during radiation. If you had any vacation plans or getaways, I would do them during weekends of radiation without any worries as the radiation won't start kicking in with side effect towards the end of treatment.

I'll leave you with this, I truly believe sometimes that my wife as my primary caregiver, goes through more emotional stress than I do as the cancer patient. So make sure you take care of yourself as well and keep regular appointments with your family doctor so that someone is there to take care of YOU in addition to you taking care of your husband.

Good luck on your journey....it's a wild ride.

Rob
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
Lung met 5/13/ said NO to more chemo
SBRT 8/13
2 lung mets 5/14, VATS 8/14, NED

TrainRec

Postby TrainRec » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:15 pm

Just wanted to touch on a few things others have not since you've gotten lots of good tips and info already. Scared is an understatement, and I think it is not always easy to admit fear. Hubby is probably scared, really scared. Bear with him and love him, he is incredibly lucky to have you on the team! I think I reacted the same way he did, sort of 'doe in the headlights' and with such a big work load, it might just be too overwhelming for him. If you can be his care manager and handler and he will let you run the show for him, it could be a match made in heaven and it might help you manage your own fears and woes by having a critical role that keeps you busy and motivated, too.

I was diagnosed last fall with rectal cancer and the tumor was so low and close to the anal verge that all the docs knew and told me right up front that I was going to be a permanent colostomate. That was like the double whammy. Scared from the cancer and poor long-term statistics for survival, horrified to think that even if I did survive the cancer, my previously healthy and very active lifestyle would become totally compromised (ruined?) with such a weird change in the way daily toilet business gets done. It takes a long time to get used to the idea and even then, it is all abstract (and scary!) because until you actually get there and live it, you don't know how bad it is going to be. The one thing that helped me most in that regard was when some friends who had colostomies came forward with real life assurances that it would be OK. I didn't even know they were colostomates! Now, I am naturally suspicious and it seemed too easy for all the doctors (who still poop out their natural rear ends) to tell me a colostomy bag is not a big deal. Way more believable and comforting coming from those who are truly in the know from first hand experience. And while I've only had my colostomy for a few months and we are still getting to know each other, so far it is actually not a big deal and in some ways it is a huge improvement over the pre-surgery butt issues I had including awful hemmies, way too much time spent on the toilet or having toilet anxiety. I have now regained control and am pain and itch free. Hurray! I am back on the tennis courts and nordic ski trails and you'd never know I have a little plastic bag down there gathering up the poop.

Lastly, about your 8-yr. old. I have a 12-yr. old and have found it immensely valuable to include her in this journey as openly as I can. Kids are wiser than we think and more resilient than we are and are GREAT motivation to survive and make the best of a bad situation. There have been many days when she kept me in the boat with her unlimited optimism and hope. I have not shared my darkest hours with her but our relationship will forever be stronger by my including her rather than trying to 'protect' her from my cancer. Nuff said.

Wishing your whole family as much strength and peace as you can muster. Please don't feel alone. You are not.
CRC DX 10/2012 T3N2M0
ChemoRad 11-12/2012; pCR
APR and right hemicolectomy 2/2013
FOLFOX 4/2013 to (as long as I can take it)

Saving the World, One Double Fault at a Time

Peabody5422
Facebook Username: debbie.whitaker

Postby Peabody5422 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:07 pm

Don't let all of this scare you. My surgeon did surgery 1st and then I went thru Xeloda and rads for 3 months. I had Stage III at the "p" trap from 12/11 to 4/12. After a year and a half, my cancer has not spread nor can they find any trace. I am to see my onoc dr. every 6 months and my colin/rectal surgeon every 3 months. I have not multiple scans, etc.

Never give up hope. Make yourself as knowledgeable as possible for you husband. Share your thoughts. Hug him alot and continue to know that there are a lot of people out here that care. You will be pleasantly surprised at how nice the staffs and people that work in this field are and how tuff it must be some times. Not knowing is the hardest part.
DX: RC 11/11 T1 N1c MX
Surgery: LAR 12/23/11
Rad & Xeloda: 1/12 - 4/12
Clean CT: 4/12
Reoccur: Lymp 4/14 4 new locations. 2 Aortic, 2 locations Rectum
Chemo to start: 6/14, OXI, Advastin, 5FU
10/14: One tumor left - on Avastin only
Surgeries: 4/15, 7/15 and 8/15 :last tumor w/Illeostomy then Ostomy
NED by 7/15 Surgery

Christylyn

Postby Christylyn » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:41 pm

Seems like I just keep saying, "Thank you!" but I sincerely mean it.....The advice, experiences, suggestions and input coming from those who have walked this path ahead of us is so invaluable. I feel like I'm getting my own anxieties under control due to a better understanding of what we're likely to be facing in the coming months. I'm still scared, but at this point I am scared with a plan that I keep adding to and subtracting from as I learn more about what will help my hubby. Last night he seemed to want to talk about it a little, so I let him lead the conversation and tried not share my own feelings so much as just listen to how he was feeling. It didn't last long but the conversation was a positive one and I went to sleep feeling like he is completely on board with doing whatever has to be done, but just doesn't want to be bombarded with constant questions and sympathy from friends and family and doesn't want me obsessing with his health 24/7. This morning it hit me......what he was saying is that he wants to be Greg. The same Greg he's always been. He doesn't want to be Greg the Patient, or Greg the Guy with Cancer. Ok. I get it now. I can respect that 100%!

So another in my seemingly endless list of questions..........for those of you who have or are going thru treatment yourselves, does it help or hurt for your partner or loved one's to share their fear, their tears, the anxieties with you? I have hidden in the shower when I feel I have to cry and a few times lost it while talking with our oldest son about everything. I have not once cried in front of my hubby, nor have I expressed to him any fears that he won't be ok. I don't want to make him feel that I believe for one second that he isn't going to come thru this just fine. I only want him to see positivity from me and know that I believe with everything in me that he's going to kick this in the butt.

Once again, thank you from the bottom of my heart to all of you who have shared with me. We have two more days to go until we leave our home to make the long drive to Houston. My anxiety level is increasing with each hour. I just want to get there so badly and have the waiting end and the healing begin................<3

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Wed May 01, 2013 9:37 am

Christylyn wrote:
So another in my seemingly endless list of questions..........for those of you who have or are going thru treatment yourselves, does it help or hurt for your partner or loved one's to share their fear, their tears, the anxieties with you? I have hidden in the shower when I feel I have to cry and a few times lost it while talking with our oldest son about everything. I have not once cried in front of my hubby, nor have I expressed to him any fears that he won't be ok. I don't want to make him feel that I believe for one second that he isn't going to come thru this just fine. I only want him to see positivity from me and know that I believe with everything in me that he's going to kick this in the butt.

Once again, thank you from the bottom of my heart to all of you who have shared with me. We have two more days to go until we leave our home to make the long drive to Houston. My anxiety level is increasing with each hour. I just want to get there so badly and have the waiting end and the healing begin................<3

Good question. I personally don't like to see my wife break down in front of me, nor do i like her discussing her fears with me other than occasionally. That's just me, because she is my rock. I know she has her breakdowns, she has told me that, but I feel for me to be strong, she needs to be strong with me. Don't get me wrong, we do talk about our fears occasionally but we don't dwell on it. I talk about my fears to her all the time, and I think if she broke down at the same time I was talking about my fears, then I would probably bottle up my fears so she wouldn't have a breakdown. Bottling up the patients fears is no good, so she stays strong while we discuss it and it makes me feel incredibly better to see how strong she is. She probably crawls into the shower and cries like you after we have the talk...but I don't see it :roll: Maybe that's just me being a big baby, but you asked, and I told you :D

Bottom line, when I'm feeling down, she knows when it's time to kick me in the arse and say "don't you give up on us" etc. etc. blah, blah, chin up, hang in there, blah, blah, or on the flipside, she also knows when to be gentle with me and hold my hand....then I get my head back in the game and trudge on. 8)

Rob
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
SBRT 8/13

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Wed May 01, 2013 9:53 am

Rob in PA wrote:...

Good question. I personally don't like to see my wife break down in front of me, nor do i like her discussing her fears with me other than occasionally. That's just me, because she is my rock. I know she has her breakdowns, she has told me that, but I feel for me to be strong, she needs to be strong with me. Don't get me wrong, we do talk about our fears occasionally but we don't dwell on it. I talk about my fears to her all the time, and I think if she broke down at the same time I was talking about my fears, then I would probably bottle up my fears so she wouldn't have a breakdown. Bottling up the patients fears is no good, so she stays strong while we discuss it and it makes me feel incredibly better to see how strong she is. She probably crawls into the shower and cries like you after we have the talk...but I don't see it :roll: Maybe that's just me being a big baby, but you asked, and I told you :D

Bottom line, when I'm feeling down, she knows when it's time to kick me in the arse and say "don't you give up on us" etc. etc. blah, blah, chin up, hang in there, blah, blah, or on the flipside, she also knows when to be gentle with me and hold my hand....then I get my head back in the game and trudge on. 8)

Rob

I got a mental image of Hubs and I having a meltdown at the same time and it was horrific! :shock: Praise the Lord that hasn't happened in this journey so far. We have just sat together holding hands and just staring into space a couple of times but he allows me space to get stuff out when I need to and, thank God, he gets stuff out with other people who love us and want to be there for us. This is a big deal as he is not a "sharer" by nature. The road is too long and too hard with too many twists and turns to keep all that crap inside. Even if it's just a tree in the backyard, a person needs to get that out. Otherwise, they can become a patient for a different problem. At least that's the way I look at it. Like you, Rob, he's my rock and I have to say he's stayed steady and helped keep me steady and I've needed that!
God bless ~
Guinevere
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

Christylyn

Postby Christylyn » Wed May 01, 2013 4:23 pm

Thank you, Rob in PA and Gunivere! That's exactly why I have kept a smile on my face and made sure he knows that my boxing gloves are on and when he is feeling too low to kick butt, I will be there to do it for him. Family members are telling me that I need to tell him how scared I am and that it's ok for him to see me cry. I just feel that he needs to know he has me to count on to be the strong one when he doesn't feel up to it. He has told me many times that I am the strongest woman he's ever met and come hell or high water, I will not let him down on that. I just wanted to hear the perspective more from his angle. It's so very hard to know you're doing the right thing when everything is tumbling down around your ears. I know it's so hard on him. He's always been the tough guy, the knight in shining armor, the fixer of anything broken. Not just for me, but for everyone he encounters. Feeling vulnerable and helpless is tough for anyone, but when you have the "I'm ten foot tall and bullet proof" attitude your whole life and then suddenly that is yanked right out from under you with no warning.....I can only imagine what he is going thru inside.

I have another question and I hope someone can offer advice. Is there anything at all that helps with the fatigue at this point in our journey? He has not yet begun any treatment. (That begins Monday at Anderson.) This is just overwhelming fatigue. He's complained of it for over a year, but it seems to me it's become much worse in the last month or so. He'll sleep all night and then be sitting at his desk at 10am and nod off. He's getting so frustrated because he feels he can't accomplish even the simplest of tasks without just wearing out. We've switched over to a whole foods diet and have been doing that for about a week. He's cut out sugar, dairy and meat for the most part--he's still eating some yogurt and frozen yogurt in smoothies I am making him twice each day. The smoothies are chock full of fruits and veggies, heavier on the veggies. He's taking a multi vitamin, B-100 and vitamin C daily. His labs are not showing any anemia, which surprises me since he's had this blood in his stools for apparently a very long time. My guess is that it's in part due to depression, but he won't admit to that. He says he is confident in his choice of MD Anderson, he's making all of the changes he knows to make right now in diet and life style and the rest is up to God. He is sleeping approximately 8 hrs each night and as far as I can tell he is sleeping well. (I can tell because I am NOT sleeping well and spend half my night watching him sleep and breathe.) He does have a script for Xanax given by our regular doc in case he needs it, but has so far not taken even one.

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Wed May 01, 2013 8:41 pm

The fatigue over the past year is a result of the cancer, I had the same thing before I was finally diagnosed. The "added" fatigue he is having now, IMO, is partly due to depression because he is now cognizant of what is going on and it is wearing on him regardless of how much sleep he gets at night. My advice is to have him take off his shining armor and try the anti-depressant. I fought cancer for three years before I finally caved in to my wife and docs suggestion that I may need an anti-depressant, once I started on zoloft i was kicking myself for waiting so long! What a difference it made. I felt more rested and not as anxious. Down side is that it REALLY mellowed me out, not many emotions...which has its positives and negatives, but overall I am glad i started on the zoloft. If he does try it, don't expect immediate results, it usually takes a week or two sometimes less.

Good luck

Rob
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
SBRT 8/13

Christylyn

Postby Christylyn » Thu May 02, 2013 10:12 am

Sounds like my husband shares many personality traits with you, Rob! I wish he would try an anti depressant, or even just the Xanax for right now. He won't admit to having any depression or worry so he won't even consider it right now. Maybe he will do as you did and realize at some point soon that he needs it. So basically there's really nothing we can do to help combat the fatigue? I am assuming that it will become worse as we progress thru treatment? I saw yesterday that MD Anderson has now added a radiation oncologist to our schedule. Although I kind of knew from all of my research that he was going to need chemo and radiation prior to surgery, I guess it just hit home when I saw it on the schedule in black and white. The reality of all of this ebbs and flows for me. I get my hopes up for one reason or another that maybe it's not as advanced as his symptoms suggest, then something will happen and it hits me that this is real and while I believe with my whole heart that he will be alright I just feel like the breath gets knocked out of me. Thanks for your advice!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”