After Hospital Stay Drabs! How to get over them?!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
eitter

After Hospital Stay Drabs! How to get over them?!

Postby eitter » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:16 pm

Hi Everyone!

What a week! And I topped off last week in the Hospital AGAIN!

Not sure what happened, was scheduled for my yearly scope on Friday, so on Wednesday I took two Ducolaxes before bed, was that a mistake?! I am thinking so. I woke up to start my prep day feeling like I wanted to throw up and did so violently! And started to get the shakes and freaked out my daughter and my brother came over and marched me to the ER which I HATE to do because they NEVER understand my medical condition! I then continued to throw up and then stared to have diaherra which I tried to change my bag and could not get another one on quick enough and what a mess that was!

So of course I was admitted, they thought they saw a bowel obstruction, but HELLO did you not see that volcano go off! But my peristomal hernia looks like an obstruction but would they listen, NO! I did have a kidney infection two so maybe that was the culprit?! Of course I had to get a sign off by all my doctors, urology to ok the kidney infection clearup, Colorectal surgeon to clear up the so called bowel obstruction, then the GP for who knows why and then the wonderful hospitalist gives the final blessing! All I know I was in the SLAMMER until Saturday, yesterday.

But here I sit after another stay and I just feel like I am in a fog for several days. Sometimes it is nice to push a button and ask for pain meds, or to come adjust something, or order food or whatever you need, and you come home and there is no button to push for help anymore! And then since of depression overcomes me.......and I feel like a walking zombie!

I am in the slammer enough, actually to much to have this feeling to much! I have never had a beloved with me to hold me, well except my mom who I have lost, sometimes just being held helped. Walking clears my mind but I do not have strength right away.

So I know many of you are frequent flyers to the hospital, so what cures you post hospital blues?!
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
6 Weeks radiation with 5FU
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy
http://www.runlizrun.com

Guinevere

Re: After Hospital Stay Drabs! How to get over them?!

Postby Guinevere » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:38 pm

Liz,
What a terrible experience and I'm glad you're home and relatively okay. I like to watch something funny when I have the "I'm home and all alone" blues. It is nice to press a button and someone to come in and see what you want or need. Too bad it's too expensive to have that kind of care at home. Not quite the same as being there to give it to you but here's a hug from me. Image
God bless ~
Guinevere
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:36 pm

I'm afraid I've never experienced the post hospital blues. I'm always so thrilled to be OUT of there, that pretty much everything is a treat - especially being able to drive myself somewhere. I do miss the pampering a good nurse provides, but that's about it.

All I can suggest is try doing something nice to treat yourself and/or something that typically brings you joy. A massage maybe? A hot bath? A good book? I know April is when the weather starts warming up, but maybe an early morning walk?
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

lauragb

Postby lauragb » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:49 pm

Sounds like you've been through a lot again! I've had bouts of depression upon release of the hospital, not because of missing the care so much as finally letting the reality of what just happened catch up with me. It seems when I'm in the hospital I'm task oriented on getting out of there but once home the emotions set in. I allow myself to feel what I need to get out for a couple of days then try to move on. I also feel better knowing that I will feel better if that makes sense, mentally adjusting. Anyway, try to find something to do that usually makes you happy, get outside if you can. Understand it's okay to feel emotional and know you'll get past it. Feel the support from family and people on here. I'm sure many other people experience the blues when going through another medical bout.

Light and hugs to you.
Laura
RC 3B 7/2011 @ 53
Chemoradiation 5 weeks 8/11
LAR-Hysterect-temp ileo
pCR, 0/23 nodes
Folfox 1/12, Xeloda 2/12 to 5/12
Reversal 5/12
SBO,lysis of adhesions 12/12
NED 11/12, 11/13, 6/16

horizon

Postby horizon » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:50 pm

Sorry you had to go through that! I had a really bad reaction to dulcolax. I won't touch the stuff anymore.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”