Remembering 8 Years Ago

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Luv2Run

Remembering 8 Years Ago

Postby Luv2Run » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:43 pm

This evening was a day of reflection. Eight years ago on the third Monday in April, three months before I was diagnosed with rectal cancer, I completed my second Boston Marathon. At that time, I knew I would not be back to run it again - yes it was fun, but the training it takes to qualify, and the logistics of the whole marathon weekend are a bit overwhelming. I made a point to take it slow and enjoy the sights around me. My husband met me at the 6 mile mark and ran with me to the finish. My last Boston was memorable in more ways than one. I did put off going to the doctor while training even though I knew something was not quite "right". I did not want anything to get between me and the marathon. But once I was diagnosed with cancer, I knew if I could beat the qualifying for Boston (pain, endurance and attitude), I could beat cancer. It saddens me what happened today. Although we are cancer survivors and pray for many, many years ahead of us, just remember our lives can be taken away at a moment's notice doing something we love or watching someone we love accomplish their dream.
dx ulcerative colitis @ 22 yrs
partial colectomy @ 41 yrs
dx Stage III rectal cancer -July 2005 - 46 yrs old
Ileostomy

ams5796

Re: Remembering 8 Years Ago

Postby ams5796 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:52 pm

What happened today in Boston saddens me too. I live right outside Boston and have lived here my entire life. Patriot's day has always been one of my favorite days in Boston. Usually, it's one of the first nice days after a long winter, the Red Sox play while the Marathon is being run in the city. People from all over the world come to enjoy this wonderfully inspiring event. Patriot's Day will forever be marred by the events of today.

Ann
Stage 3C (or 4?) Rectal Cancer 01/07
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14
5/17 scan and MRI found treated spine met

cashmere

Postby cashmere » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:47 am

I live south of Boston and am incredibly saddened by the events of yesterday. As a CPA I am usually doing last minute mailings or filings but this stopped me in my tracks.

My husband is a WOCN and will be tending to a patient that got burned yesterday. He is so sick over this. Our prayers are with everyone, Pearl
Stage III
Diagnosed 4/07 at 51
36 rad/24/7 chemo bag
surg 9/07
6 mon chemo w/48 hr bag
ileo reversal 5/08
NED since 9/07!!
Just resolved my 13th blockage
Been able to control blockage issues with fiber supplements!!

Grace14

Postby Grace14 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:08 am

I too live just 20 minutes from Boston and I'm deeply saddened over yesterday's events! This is such a sad world we live in. My heart goes to all the victims and their family's!
Diag Stage 2a R/C April 2010 at 38
Rad/chemo 6 weeks
Apr surgery July 2010
Folfox 4 months
Jan appendix removed
Feb diag papillary thyroid cancer no treatments stage1
Ned so far!!!
Mother of 4 boys 21 18 11 8

JennyB

Postby JennyB » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:18 am

Luv2Run wrote:This evening was a day of reflection. Eight years ago on the third Monday in April, three months before I was diagnosed with rectal cancer, I completed my second Boston Marathon. At that time, I knew I would not be back to run it again - yes it was fun, but the training it takes to qualify, and the logistics of the whole marathon weekend are a bit overwhelming. I made a point to take it slow and enjoy the sights around me. My husband met me at the 6 mile mark and ran with me to the finish. My last Boston was memorable in more ways than one. I did put off going to the doctor while training even though I knew something was not quite "right". I did not want anything to get between me and the marathon. But once I was diagnosed with cancer, I knew if I could beat the qualifying for Boston (pain, endurance and attitude), I could beat cancer. It saddens me what happened today. Although we are cancer survivors and pray for many, many years ahead of us, just remember our lives can be taken away at a moment's notice doing something we love or watching someone we love accomplish their dream.

That was a beautiful tribute. Thank you so much.
Jennifer
Wife of Scott, diagnosed at age 34 on 3-27-09, now 37
Stage III-C CC, 15 out of 36 nodes involved
Ulcerative colitis since age 11, colon removed 3-25-09
He finished Folfox on 9-23-09
Permanent ileostomy March 2012
NED so far!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”