How many with Lynch Syndrome?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
adina91
Facebook Username: Adina Jewett

Re: How many with Lynch Syndrome?

Postby adina91 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:30 pm

Lynch here as well. My father his brother and their father all had it and eventually passed away. My father was first dx in 1970 before I was born and just was not vigilant about getting checked out. He never went to the doctor. He ended up with a metastatic second primary 20 years later and at that point it was 1990 and there was little to be done. I always kick myself for not starting to get scoped earlier, but I think I was in denial and thought I was too young.

When I had my initial resection in November of 2009, there were many indications of a hereditary cancer so I was tested. I have had a subtotal colectomy with an ileorectal anastomosis and a full hysterectomy. I still have my scans every six months, a flex sig to check the rest of my rectum once per year and urine cytology once per year. I still have not had an endoscopy which is recommended every 4-5 years. My younger sister also tested positive for the mutation but has been quite vigilant in getting tested. So she is doing well.

I just had another clean scan last week, so its been almost 4 years since dx and 3 years since my last surgery. My worry is my two young sons at this point.
Adina 42 yo, mom of 2 sons (5,9)
11/2009 - DX-2B CC-Sigmoid resect/colostomy
Lynch Synd MSH2
1/2010 - FLOX chemo
5/2010 - Subtotal colectomy/hyster/ileostomy
Stage 3A - 1/42 LN +
8/2010 - Chemo done
10/18/2010 - ileostomy takedown
2010 - 2015 - NED
5/1/15 - "suspicious" area in liver on CT
5/14/15 - follow up PET says no metastatic disease
6/19/15 - MRI - NED!

Mystic

Postby Mystic » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:14 am

Our family has Lynch Syndrome MSH2. It was passed down to my sister and me by our Mom. My Mom died at the age of 87 from kidney failure but had endometrial cancer, renal pelvis cancer, colon cancer and ureter cancer....all cancers from Lynch. My youngest daughter developed colon cancer at the age of 27. That is how our journey with Lynch began. She is doing well now 7 years later. My oldest daughter has Lynch Syndrome but is a previvor. My sister was Lynch positive but passed away last year from lung cancer after a missed diagnosis at a major cancer center. I developed colon cancer at the age of 55. I am doing well thanks to it being caught early as I was undergoing yearly colonoscopies. I also developed sebaceous carcinoma on my face and was diagnosed with the rare subtype of Lynch Syndrome, Muir -Torre.

Lynch Syndrome II (MSH2) / Muir-Torre Syndrome
Malignant Polyp Cecum-Right Hemi-Colectomy June 2008
Rare Sebaceous Carcinoma of the nose from Lynch Syndrome 1/2011
Daughter 27 stage 2 colon cancer 2006 Right Hemi-Colectomy

mymaria

Postby mymaria » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:46 pm

Hello! I have Lynch, MSH2 mutation. When I was 43 I was diagnosed first with uterine cancer, then less than five months later, colon cancer. I am feeling great, doing well. I have a 20-year-old daughter (my only child) who tested positive too. She will start her colonoscopies when she's 25. She knows once she's done having children she will need a hysterectomy.
Currently I have a CT scan annually, along with a colonoscopy. I still see my oncologist ever six months for CEA levels and a check up. Endoscopy every three years, plus annual urine cytology. Even though it can be hard emotionally to deal with Lynch, I am glad I know I have it. My doctors have me on a great surveillance schedule and since we know our daughter has it, she will be checked earlier than usual. Keep going to your check ups and report any unusual gynecological symptoms to your doctor.
Endometrial cancer stage 1B grade 3, July '09 age 43
34 negative l.n.
Radiation Aug. and Sept., '09
Colon cancer T3N0M0, grade 3, Dec. '09
54 negative l.n.
Modified Folfox 6 regime started Jan. 12, '10
Stopped after 3 rounds Feb. 9, '10
Lynch Syndrome

surpasstx

Postby surpasstx » Mon May 06, 2013 11:23 pm

Just learnt today that my wife may have Lynch Syndrome, but with a "variant of uncertain significance." So, it appears we won;t be able to do genetic screening for the kids and her brother. Instead, we will probably have to initiate enhanced surveillance for all the family members and follow the protocol for colonscopies, endometrial biopsies, etc. Has anyone else on the forum been diagnosed similarly?

Ray
01/17 Wife (44) DX Stage 3b CC Sigmoid, 2/17 positive
MSi-High, presumed Lynch syndrome
02/13 first round of chemo
08/13 done with chemo
Hoping and praying...

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”