On surgeon's advice, going to try the - gulp - daily enema

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Re: On surgeon's advice, going to try the - gulp - daily ene

Postby Jachut » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:06 pm

I'm guessing that if it weren't for my problem of not being able to get the stool out, I would have had an outstanding result and thats why he smaller bulb enema works for me - meaning I need to go only once a day, stool does collect well in my pouch and ll I need to do is get it out - I'm not actually trying to flush out my colon to prevent clustering, I can see why a larger volume would be necessary for that.

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:44 pm

Partner enemas??? Hmmmmm....I had a hard time just asking my husband to go and buy my bulb enema thingy...and he is a super supportive guy. I cannot imagine asking him to participate in the actual event....nope...uh huh....no way :oops:

As for the outfit...thankfully all he brought home from the sex shop was my enema thingy in a descreet black bag. No leather...no latex. Thank goodness. He did sing Happy Birthday to me when he gave it to me...couldn't resist I guess. I turned 50 on Wednesday :oops: , I guess he felt this was an appropriate bday gift! lol I asked him if he was embarrassed to buy it, and he said oh no...he explained my whole story :shock: . Glad I won't be shopping there, but I guess I could chalk it up to him educating someone about CRC. He said he just didn't want anyone thinking it was for him!! Oh well....

Going to try again in the am, and up the volume of water. The bulb looks like it holds no more that a fleet bottle. I am going to try to do 3 fleet bottles/bulbs full and see if that works better...maybe try 4 the next time. If the larger amount gives me better results, I will order the larger bag one, I just need to find someone that ships to Canada for a reasonable amount and not 3 - 4 weeks delivery.

Thank you for all of the encouragement and comments. Very few people get this part...they think I am "over the cancer thing"....they have no idea that this is another rough piece of the puzzle. It's nice to have friends to help me find my way through it...
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

"You never know how strong you are until you have to become your own hero."

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:45 am

Oh, your post cracked me up! You're right, your hubby is one supportive guy! I had no idea there was this whole other world of enemas out there. I remember when I started looking into it before I was shocked at the websites that I was directed to. haha

Yes, I think filling the bulb a few times would probably give you the desired result. I don't know if you've looked through old threads, but one of the cc members filled fleet bottles with warm water four times and he swears by his result. Maybe, he'll chime in here.

I ended up not having a great day yesterday after I did the one bulb. I did eventually clean out hours later, but was left with terrible gas pains. Now, the problem is was that from not doing enough of an enema, doing the enema at all or none of the above. I guess that is so much of my frustration with my bowel issues I always have trouble connecting the cause with the result.

Anyway, let us know how this plan goes.

Ann
Stage 3C (or 4?) Rectal Cancer 01/07
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14
5/17 scan and MRI found treated spine met

lauragb

Postby lauragb » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:19 pm

Well, Happy Belated Birthday Tammy! Your husband does have a sense of humor too! Anyway, you are so right about other people not getting what goes on post treatment for CRC survivors.
I so appreciate that there are others who understand my trials (sorry though anyone else has to deal with this stuff).

And to Jachut, I remember reading in the past you could clean out with one bulb of water. I guess you could say I have "enema envy" even though I'm happy for you. Lol!

Goodluck to all in figuring out what works best. Here's to less, yet more successful trips to the bathroom. Freedom from ties to the toilet.
RC 3B 7/2011 @ 53
Chemoradiation 5 weeks 8/11
LAR-Hysterect-temp ileo
pCR, 0/23 nodes
Folfox 1/12, Xeloda 2/12 to 5/12
Reversal 5/12
SBO,lysis of adhesions 12/12
NED 11/12, 11/13, 6/16

Peloton

Postby Peloton » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:14 pm

Best of luck, Tammy.

I was in your exact shoes a year ago. I was at my wits end with post-reversal struggles and felt this was the last option. It took me awhile to wrap my head around it.

Now, a year later, I've never felt so liberated. Yeah, the routine is not fun and takes a little effort. But I spend an hour or so in the bathroom each morning (including cleanup, shower, shave, etc) and I can go the rest of the day without thinking about a bathroom. Before my cancer diagnosis, my morning routine lasted about 30 minutes. So the net result is a little discomfort and 30 extra minutes in the bathroom each morning. I'll take that.

Also, I reuse disposable fleet enemas. I have 8. Each morning, I fill them up with tap water, apply lubricant (I prefer the generic kind they sell at Wal Mart), line them up, and administer the enemas. Doing so takes less than 10 minutes. Then I disinfect and clean them. My oncologist had no problem with me reusing Fleet enema bottles so long as I thoroughly clean them after each use. The bottles are clear, so it's easy to see if they're clean or not.

I don't mind using the more traditional enema bags with tubing and a catheter. But doing so takes longer to administer.

I've been doing this for a year and haven't had one accident. That includes while on trips to each coast (I live in Chicago) as well as to London and France.

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:40 pm

Thank you for all of the comments, suggestions and PMs. I actually feel better about things today then I have in a very long time. I feel like there might be a solution for me, and where there is hope, there is promise.

I like the idea of the mulitple fleet enema bottles, I do find them softer and easier to "squish" then the bulb one. Eight...whew...that is a little intimidating. I have visions of it spilling out of everywhere before I am ready to actually empty :shock: but I am sure that is no more than the big red pouches that some people use, and I would imagine it is trial and error of how much to use. I will go with when my checks start to bulge....I am full :wink:

May I ask how you disinfect them? Just hot soapy water? My husband told me I could run them through the dishwasher....thank goodness he was kidding!!!!!! I was more than slightly horrified.

I had a "natural" (if you want to call it that) clean out last night, so I didn't do one today, but I am planning on it first thing tomorrow morning, and almost looking forward to it...how wierd is that?????????? What I am looking forward to though is the fact that I might be on track to get some quality of life back, and that excites me!!

Again, thanks to everyone. You are my lifeline in so many ways.
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:07 am

OK...for those of you following my saga...here is the latest "husband" segment...

So this am I ask him if he will go to the drug store for me and pick up 6 fleet enemas, as I find them easier to "squish", and figure I will just clean them really well after each use, for as long as they last. I know the drug store I use sells their own brand. So off he goes as the good little supportive husband, offering to pick me up a nice lube while he is out, although wonders if the WD30 spray he has in his workshop wouldn't do the job. Funny man. So 10 minutes later he returns...empty handed. It seems that everyone in town is prepping or something...as he went to 2 drug stores, and both of them have a big enema sale on...and no enemas!!!! NONE!!!! OK...so I ask him for the lube...I will just use what I have and go get some later. No lube. He got so flustered with all the enemas being sold out...he forgot. Sigh......

We have a guy coming to measure our countertop at noon, it is nowing going on ten, and I want to get this show on the road....so off he goes to Walmart. Calls me 5 mnutes later. YES...they have enemas...but they cannot be sold for another 5 minutes until the pharmacist comes in at 10 and UNLOCKS the locked cabinet they are stored in. Not sure if they have heard about the enema shortage and they are protecting the gold...but he has to wait. As he is talking to me, he realizes h there is no real lock on this cage thingy...and he COULD open it....but when I mention the Walmart police might swoop in and take him down for trying to steal some enemas before they can legally be released, he decided to wait until he can officially purchase them. For some reason the thought of reading "Man arrested for illegally obtaining an enema at Walmart" in the papers doesn't sit well with him..... :lol:

So... I am here patiently waiting for round 2 of The Daily Enema.

Stayed tuned....
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

Peloton

Postby Peloton » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:56 am

tammylayne wrote:I like the idea of the mulitple fleet enema bottles, I do find them softer and easier to "squish" then the bulb one. Eight...whew...that is a little intimidating. I have visions of it spilling out of everywhere before I am ready to actually empty but I am sure that is no more than the big red pouches that some people use, and I would imagine it is trial and error of how much to use. I will go with when my checks start to bulge....I am full

I started off very slowly (using 2 fleet bottles with tap water; then 4; then 5, then 6, and so on). 8 seems to be the number necessary for me to get a complete clean out. Plus, I don't completely empty each bottle all the way and there is a little spillage. It sounds crazy, but sticking an enema up your rear end without spillage is easier said than done. :wink:

Also, before it's time to sit on the potty, a little water (few drops) leaks out. It's not a big deal. I use a swifter with disinfectant wipes on my bathroom each morning afterwards.

tammylayne wrote:ut I am planning on it first thing tomorrow morning, and almost looking forward to it...how wierd is that?????????? What I am looking forward to though is the fact that I might be on track to get some quality of life back, and that excites me!!

Not weird at all. I've shared this in other threads. I went 10 months post-reversal before using enemas. Those 10 months were not fun. Once I adapted to my routine (which took about 8-10 weeks to get completely comfortable and confident), I took a trip overseas. The trip occurred a few weeks after my one year reversal anniversary.

I vividly remember sitting at a little cafe in the French country side eating a wonderful meal. Halfway through the meal, I realized that keeping an eye out for the closest bathroom didn't even cross my mind. I was overwhelmed with emotions, literally to the point of tears. I had never thought that I would be able to live so free of the bathroom ever again. I'm a guy in my 30s, so I don't wear my emotions on my sleeves very often.

Simply put, it was exhilarating. My travel companion knew of my issues and asked what was wrong. I explained what I was thinking and we both laughed at the notion that not having to worry about running to the bathroom could move someone to tears. It was quite the moment.

Cj51

Postby Cj51 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:57 am

That Walmart saga cracks me up! Your husband is a wonderful man. I have one like that, too--I don't know what I'd do without him!

You're a trooper, Tammy. I've tried enemas on and off, but haven't had much success. I've never gotten serious about it though, as in using more than one bottle or doing it for more than one day. Like many here, I'll be staying tuned to your saga and will be interested to see how it works for you. Thanks for sharing your progress!

Cj
DX Stage IIIb RC, T3N1M0, April 2010, 51
6 wks Xelox/rad 6/10
resection, temp illeostomy 8/10 Complete response!
12 rounds FOLFOX for clean up 9/10, Allergic to Oxi, started Xeloda only 12/10
Ileo takedown 9/28/11
4/2020 NED

Peloton

Postby Peloton » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:07 am

tammylayne wrote:May I ask how you disinfect them? Just hot soapy water? My husband told me I could run them through the dishwasher....thank goodness he was kidding!!!!!! I was more than slightly horrified.

Sorry, I meant to answer this.

This is my cleaning routine. After I insert the enemas, I have about 15 minutes before the fireworks start. I first wash the 8 bottles in hot water with antibacterial soap. Then I squirt just a little, all-natural (no bleach) bathroom cleaner in each bottle and thoroughly rinse them again with hot water. Then I wipe the nozzles with Lysol disinfectant wipes and rinse them in hot soapy water. I put the caps back on the bottles and keep them in a little travel bag.

I then completely clean my bathroom sink with a disinfectant cleaner. The process takes 5 minutes or so.

I have had no issues with keeping my supplies clean. I've had the same fleet bottles for 6 months or so. They don't' leave my bathroom unless I am traveling with them. When I travel, I pick up cleaning supplies on the road.

MrPleistocene
Facebook Username: vinson.jim

Postby MrPleistocene » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:16 pm

This thread has some great info/details in it. I honestly feel comfortable with my bowel function. I'm working to improve it, but haven't had problems with vacations, road trips, all weekend music festivals. However, my Doc wants me on a weekly bowel prep. I might look into enemas to just get him off the bowel issues and onto my pain and ureters.

I did want to add just one detail, just for those wondering, but it is probably TMI -

A while back I worked on a technology company that provided internet video solutions. We worked with everyone. Disney, all the way to the other end of the spectrum. One of my hats was overseeing all partner support. As such, I interacted with every major 'non-disney' video company putting their content online. 'Filmmakers' would often have enemas by the crate on site for any 'actresses' that might need to prepare for a scene. Like I said, TMI, but that is probably a reason they would be at an adult shop.

Similarly, adult 'book stores' also have some gels or creams of you get raw down there that won't be at a normal store. I still go for calmospetine. If you need something that numbs too, there are some 'non-traditional' ointments that will clean, protects and soothe, and numb.
DX 11/09 RC Stage IIIb
12/09 Chemorad w/Folfox
Surgery 4/10 LAR, Removed Seminal Vesicles
Clean Margins, T3N2M0, 4/19 Nodes
FOLFOX 6/10-11/10
6/10, 10/10, 1/11 Clean Scans, Normal CEA
12/10 Bi-Nephrostomy
12/10-2/11 HBOT
2/11 Reversal

SammyJ
Facebook Username: Samantha.douglas

Postby SammyJ » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:42 pm

Tammy, you and your husband are adorable! So great to see you can both have such a great sense of humour about all of this.

Excellent information from everyone posting in this thread for those of us who are still contemplating this. Thank you to you all and please keep us update of your progress once you actually have all your supplies and an empty house!
Diagnosed Stage 3A Rectal Cancer March 12, age 39
ULAR and temp ileostomy March 12
Folfox started April 12 , completed Oct 12.
NED 16/10/12
Ileostomy reversal 23 Nov 12....

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:20 pm

Well...hubby made it home from Walmart, but while has was waiting for them to unlock the enema goods, he wandered over to hardware (said he needed to do something manly while he waited). He came back 5 minutes later and 3 of the 5 enema boxes were GONE!! He said there was him and 6 others in the store that he could see...there really is an enema shortage here!!

I was concerned because I thought I was going to need more...I had 3 in total. I did 2, and had to make a dash to the loo. Had a fair empty, then thought I should try for number 3. Well, I barely got started and I had to dash again...so it seems like 2 is my limit right now. I had a decent clean out I think...it lasted about 30 minutes in total, although I had an urge for about 2 more hours before I felt safe to venture out of the house. The entire process form beginning to end would have been about an hour...3 if you count the urges. I am thinking of sticking to evenings for right now as I am concerned that if I try in the am and I don't trust the urges, I will be late for work. If this became my night time routine, even just during the week when I have to function I could deal with it if it means I am washroom free the rest of the time. This was only attempt number 2 - hahahahaha....but I think it could be doable.

One question...I am wondering since I don't have a rectum, if that is why I could only hold 2 fleet bottles and then things started to dribble out? I wasn't expecting that part :shock: I will be more prepared next time.

This is certainly a learning experience...and if a few short years ago you had told me that I would be discussing my adventures into the world of the daily enema...for hundreds of people to read about...I would have fallen over and hung my head in horror. Wow...CRC should does make us put away our pride doesn't it??

Hope this is helping some of you. I can honestly say, so far...not as bad as I was expecting. I am far from perfecting it...but I have hope.
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:04 pm

The urge hangs around and bothers me too - in the early days I would feel quite sick with it do for me it's mainly a nighttime routine.

John72

Postby John72 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:33 am

tammylayne wrote:Well...hubby made it home from Walmart, but while has was waiting for them to unlock the enema goods, he wandered over to hardware (said he needed to do something manly while he waited). He came back 5 minutes later and 3 of the 5 enema boxes were GONE!! He said there was him and 6 others in the store that he could see...there really is an enema shortage here!!

I was concerned because I thought I was going to need more...I had 3 in total. I did 2, and had to make a dash to the loo. Had a fair empty, then thought I should try for number 3. Well, I barely got started and I had to dash again...so it seems like 2 is my limit right now. I had a decent clean out I think...it lasted about 30 minutes in total, although I had an urge for about 2 more hours before I felt safe to venture out of the house. The entire process form beginning to end would have been about an hour...3 if you count the urges. I am thinking of sticking to evenings for right now as I am concerned that if I try in the am and I don't trust the urges, I will be late for work. If this became my night time routine, even just during the week when I have to function I could deal with it if it means I am washroom free the rest of the time. This was only attempt number 2 - hahahahaha....but I think it could be doable.

One question...I am wondering since I don't have a rectum, if that is why I could only hold 2 fleet bottles and then things started to dribble out? I wasn't expecting that part :shock: I will be more prepared next time.

This is certainly a learning experience...and if a few short years ago you had told me that I would be discussing my adventures into the world of the daily enema...for hundreds of people to read about...I would have fallen over and hung my head in horror. Wow...CRC should does make us put away our pride doesn't it??

Hope this is helping some of you. I can honestly say, so far...not as bad as I was expecting. I am far from perfecting it...but I have hope.

Things spasm back there...the muscles contract and sometimes reject taking more water in, and it really has nothing to do with capacity or not having a rectum other than your muscles don't entirely know how to respond because you don't have a rectum.
7/13/10 CC
7/23/10 -3C RC, 7cm,15/33 lymph nodes
8/31/10 5 1/2 weeks of radiation + Xeloda
11/12/10 6 rounds Oxy + Xeloda
3/25/11 Finished chemo
6/15/11 Colostomy reversal followed by infections
9/05/14 Clear CT scan

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”