On surgeon's advice, going to try the - gulp - daily enema

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
lauragb

Re: On surgeon's advice, going to try the - gulp - daily ene

Postby lauragb » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:10 pm

Tammylayne, sorry your day didn't continue as it started in the morning. You will get this figured out! The only time I have had a big cleanout on the day of an enema was when I did the enema in the morning and went out for a big lunch at a restaurant. There are so many ways we respond to the different aspects of our challenges. I have never been able to take imodium, plugs me up for days. With my history of obstructions and ileus, I don't want to chance it. But it seems like so many folks on here are able to use it to their advantage. So that's good.

Back to the enemas, I think if the flow of water can be controlled that it helps with being able to retain it. When I first started using the tubing with a clamp, any time I felt any cramping, I'd stop the flow of water and try to relax until the cramping stopped, then open the clamp again. I still don't open the clamp all of the way so the water moves in slow and steady. Before inserting it, I send some water through the tubing and nozzle so no air is introduced which can cause cramping and lead to urgency and leaking. I always use warm water, too. I did have problems with leaking when using the bottles and felt gassy and always had to go later the same day. That doesn't happen with my current method. I am grateful that for now it is working.

My husband is also the only one who knows my enema details.(except all of you now, lol!) He encouraged me to do them regularly and made me feel like it was a good and not weird thing to have to do.

Goodluck to all of the enema-ites out there.
RC 3B 7/2011 @ 53
Chemoradiation 5 weeks 8/11
LAR-Hysterect-temp ileo
pCR, 0/23 nodes
Folfox 1/12, Xeloda 2/12 to 5/12
Reversal 5/12
SBO,lysis of adhesions 12/12
NED 11/12, 11/13, 6/16

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:16 pm

Not sure what is going on, my tummy has been gurgling really loud for the past 8 hours and I have the big D. I am concerned that this is brought on from the enema...any thoughts???
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

"You never know how strong you are until you have to become your own hero."

rickker20

Postby rickker20 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:37 pm

Got up Saturday did an early Enema about 4 small bottles. Cleaned out and then when to play 18 holes of golf with no problems. I felt like my old self again.
Rectal Cancer 6/09
Stage 1 T2
9 days of 5fu
2 days of Avastin
5 weeks of Radiation
Lar 9/09 failed
Pull thru surgery 10/09
Rectum Removel,38 lymph nodes remove all cancer free
6 weeks of 5fu & Folfox
Bag reversal 6/10 & Port remove
Cancer free

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:54 am

Tammylayne,

It could be a total coincidence like a stomach bug. Maybe, you're still cleaning out. I felt like it took me a couple of days to get some backed up stuff out (TMI) and then it was smooth sailing (sort of). I can't imagine it would be FROM the enema if nothing is added to the water. Take a couple of days off and start it up again.

Hugs!

Ann
Stage 3C (or 4?) Rectal Cancer 01/07
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14
5/17 scan and MRI found treated spine met

Peloton

Postby Peloton » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:29 am

Tammy -

I agree with Ann. Also, perhaps your colon is a little irritated with all the stimulation. I would definitely take a day off, or at a minimum, only do 2-3 bottles and see where that gets you. I needed a few weeks for my body to adjust to doing enemas.

I do like using immodium afterwards, although I'm not sure if it does anything. But the placebo effect helps my state of mind.

rickker20 wrote:Got up Saturday did an early Enema about 4 small bottles. Cleaned out and then when to play 18 holes of golf with no problems. I felt like my old self again.

Great to hear. On Sunday, I got up early, went for a 5 mile run (still a little too chilly to go cycling here in Chicago), did my enema routine, and went to the Cubs game at Wrigley. I had a beer in one hand and the Masters streaming live on my smartphone in the other hand. It was a great day indeed, and cancer was the farthest thing from my mind.

And the Cubs gave up a solo home run in the top of the 9th, with two outs and two strikes, to blow their 1-run lead (and ultimately the game). Things are definitely back to normal.

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:57 am

YEAH rikker20!!!!!! SOOOOO happy for you!!!!! I hope this continues to be your golden (brown :shock: ) ticket to good QOL!!!

I guess I should have come down and read this first...I got up and did another enema...I hope it doesn't cause me issues today!! And I was able to take about 5 bottles with no issues and no urgency!!! I was impressed. I did take 3 immodium...although I took 4 yesterday afternoon and 4 again last night and it did nothing. We shall see...

Other news...I have a 10 am appointment at my cancer clinic...as my surgeon said...they will probably fire me today :lol: . They usually stop seeing you as soon as you are done chemo, but because my case is a little different, they agreed to follow me for a while longer. As I have now been NED since Dec 2010 ( LAR date), if my CEA is still under 1, they will toss my NED butt to the curb!!! I will continue to be followed by my surgeon for 2 more years, but that is easier to handle mentally then the cancer clinic...I think...Another safety net taken away...good...bad...happy scarey....yup...no time today for the Big D!!!!!!!!!!

Hope everyone has an awesome day...carry on Enema-ites!!!!!
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:25 am

That's great Rickker, I'm glad this is working for you too! It really does open a lot more possibilities in our lives. I feel like I can even eat a healthier diet if my success continues. I never felt like I was eating that well because everything seemed to pose problems for me. I did another enema this morning and feel like I'm floating through the day. I did end up taking one Imodium before I left the house as a safety net. It will take me a while to feel secure. Peloton, you are truly inspiring and generous with your information. Thank you. And, Laura and Jessica your tips are invaluable in making this a successful venture.

Tammylayne, good luck to you today. This is one time being fired is a wonderful thing! Hope the Big D stays away and lets you enjoy your moment.

Feeling rather emotional today, I live in Boston. :(

Ann
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:34 am

Yeserday was a GOOD day!!!!! Did my thing in the am, done in about 40 minutes, no issues for the rest of the day.

This am, done in 30 minutes, was able to take equal to about 6 bottles, no leaking or urgency, and a good clean out. I do like the red bag system, just seems to work better. Thanks to however suggested it, lauragb I think? I also am using your tip of slowing down the flow, especially when I start to cramp or get the urge, and I think this is a big part of my success.

I do know I could never do this is someone else's home, or when I share a hotel room periodically when travelling,,, but for the most part I think this is becoming very doable!!

Wishing everyone a successful day, in whatever you do!
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:14 am

Glad you had a great day, Tammylayne! We'll get the hang of it. Yes, the tips have been fantastic on here from the Enema-ites. I would have given up long ago without them. :shock: Yesterday was good for me too, for most of the day. For whatever reason some days I get intense trapped gas five or six hours after administering an enema. I can't seem to figure out why this happens. I don't know whether I'm not cleaned out enough or if I'm pushing air into a funny place. Finally, it passed. :oops: I did another one this morning. So far, so good. Not giving up!

Hope all is well with all of you!

Ann
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14

lauragb

Postby lauragb » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:56 pm

This is great to hear some success stories! Yep, slow the flow, that's the key for me! Ditto to not wanting to do this in someone else's house in or a shared hotel room. It ain't pretty.
That is one of the things that bothered me at first, thinking of that being limiting instead of appreciating the day to day freedom it brings. For instance, I am going to dinner with colleagues
tomorrow evening and have the freedom to go without worry.

To more successes of the enema-ites!
RC 3B 7/2011 @ 53
Chemoradiation 5 weeks 8/11
LAR-Hysterect-temp ileo
pCR, 0/23 nodes
Folfox 1/12, Xeloda 2/12 to 5/12
Reversal 5/12
SBO,lysis of adhesions 12/12
NED 11/12, 11/13, 6/16

Peloton

Postby Peloton » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:55 pm

lauragb wrote:Ditto to not wanting to do this in someone else's house in or a shared hotel room. It ain't pretty.

It most certainly is not pretty, although I like to think of it as me "expressing myself."

As for doing the routine in someone else's house or a shared hotel room, yeah, it's tough. I've done it while visiting immediate family members at their homes and at my parents' golf condo in Florida while other siblings were staying there. I've also done it in my condo while guests have been visiting. I do have a master suite, by my place is pretty small, so I'm quite certain that guests can hear the sound effects.

Whenever I'm such a situation, I typically say "I'm in remission for stage 3 colorectal cancer. I need an hour of privacy in the bathroom." In my experience, everyone has clearly gotten the hint, even if they don't know the exact details. Usually, guests staying with me will go get coffee at a nearby Starbucks. At my parents' golf condo, siblings would go for a walk if I asked for privacy.

I also always make sure that the bathroom is cleaner when I leave than when I walked in.

Glad to hear more people having success.

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:39 am

I'm taking a break today. I hope I get back to it at some point since I had such hope for an improved quality of life. I just seem to a have a big problem with it. After administering an enema in the morning I end up with excruciating pain in the evening. I've had a lot of pain over the last six years and this is about the worst I've encountered. :( I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I keep trying to remedy the situation to no avail. Maybe I'm not cleaning out enough because I don't know how to know if I'm all cleaned out. Every time I do an enema I seem to have a substantial BM but maybe it's not enough. And, maybe I'm not retaining the water for long enough and that compromises the effectiveness of the enema. Or, maybe I'm not using enough water, but if I'm having a good BM it seems like I am. Back to the drawing board. I'll take any thoughts from the Enema-ites.

Ann
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:57 pm

No, No, NO Ann...not what I want to read!!!! You were doing so well....I have 2 thoughts, for what they are worth...

I am not sure this is ok,,,you would need to ask a doc...but would there be a benefit to trying to do a second enema at night? Just to see if that gave you some relief...it might answer some of your questions...

My other thought is do you have a gastrointerologist that you can call and talk to? Maybe they would have some suggestions you could try.

I don't understand why the pain is hitting you so many hours AFTER you do the enema....

I am now able to take much more water, probably equal to 7 fleet bottles, and I do think that has been key for my success the last 3 days. I also slow down the flow as per lauragb the second it starts to cramp or I feel urgency, and I am using the red bag. So far this seems to be helping. I take the water all in over about 5 minutes, hold for another 2 -3, then empty in over about another 5...so all in all I am done from set up to clean up in about 25 - 30 minutes. I also make sure I squirt some of the water out before I insert so I am taking in less air...maybe that is adding to it for you Ann?

i soooooo hope you figure this out...i want this to work as much for you as for me :?
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:18 am

Thank you, Tammylayne!! You put the support in "support group." You're so kind. The good news is that I'm much more comfortable doing an enema now than I was a few weeks ago. For now, it will be a great defensive measure when I really need to get myself back on track. I'm not giving up because I love the idea of having some control of my bowels, but I am going to take a break for a couple of days. I think I need some probiotics and maybe I need to drink more water. I've been trying to figure this out for a long time! :?

I am sooo glad it's working out for you. You continue to inspire me. Keep the Enema-ites posted!

Ann
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:05 am

I have gone one week doing the daily enema, with no ther trips to the washroom other than my 20 - 30 minutes in the am. This is amazing. No clustering, no accidents, no worries. I feel like this is the first time in over 7 years that my BMs are not running my life.

Thank you to everyone that has been supportive, offered suggestions and helped me find my way. If anyone has any questions they do not want to post, please feel free to PM me. I feel like I just got my life back :)
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”