On surgeon's advice, going to try the - gulp - daily enema

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
H is for Hawk

Re: On surgeon's advice, going to try the - gulp - daily enema

Postby H is for Hawk » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:22 pm

I was forced on to the daily enema routine for a month now, due to chronic constipation. I finally told my palliative care doctor and he warned me it is not a good practice to to daily enemas, especially for immune impaired cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. He claims the enema routine can be traumatic and irritate the colon, where small breaks in the colon wall could become infected. There is a possibility of getting a body-wide sepsis infection, which can be fatal.
H is for Hawk (57)
10/14 L. hemi-colectomy 3 x 4 x 1 cm tumor, 13/14 lymph nodes pos. pT4a N2B M0 stage 3 MSS
11/14 - 4/15 12x FOLFOX
5/15 PET scan: 2.5 x 1.5 cm l. colon lesion, peri surface lesion SUV 2.4, adenocar., KRAS wd, BRAF V600E mut
6/15 HIPEC
9/15 Pleural lining & liver mets, CA 19-9: 6000
10/15 Vectibix Tafinlar Mekinist
11/15 1500
1/16 200
2/16 100, add Lentinan
3/16 122
6/16 4500
7/16 20,000, CT scan - three new liver mets
8/16 6700, FOLFIRI
9/16 4900, CT scan - two new liver mets
10/16 2255 vinorelbine

cher
Facebook Username: diane c neville

Postby cher » Fri May 05, 2017 6:43 pm

tammylayne wrote:Frustration has driven me to it...I don't know what else to do. The clustering is taking over my life. Every second day, or third, or every day :shock: I have this clustering that does not end. It lasts for about 3 - 4 hours, drains me mentally and physically and is ruining my quality of life. I have no idea when it is going to happen, no real warning. I find myself having to cancel outings, late for work, stuck at places for hours becasue I can't make the drive home and starting to shut down socially.

My surgeon has suggested a couple of months ago that I consider daily enemas to make things happen every day to hopefully eliminate the clustering/urgency and allow me to spend 30 minutes in the bathroom every day on my own terms. He does not feel they are harmful, and may in fact give me back a better quality of life. He told me to give it a try for a couple of weeks and then come see him if I don't feel things have improved.

Not the direction I saw myself going when I decided to go for the reversal, but I always knew there might be hiccups greater than what I was expecting. I could deal with this better if it was always in the evenings in the privacy of my home, but it is happening at work, and starting to keep me from fulfilling employment obligations - ie I can't go to out of town meeting with co-workers as I am terrified this will happen enroute, or keep us from being able to leave to come back home.

I know I am not the only one that is challenged in this area. I would love some feedback, either on this tread or a PM. I am really struggling here, and the stress of it all is starting to wear me down. Any ideas, thoughts or otherwise would be greatly appreciated.

Note to anyone thinking about having a reversal - please remember everyone is different and don't think that my result will be your result. There are many reversalites here that are very pleased with their results!!!

Hi tammy
i am very new to this site and not even sure if im doing this right
but i would love to be able to chat wiht you on the enema thing
I have been having so much trouble with all this
I have had a lar and my reversal has done in last year feb
i have been experiencing lots of clustering , incontinence , and just when i
may have a good week and think things a getting better it all goes south ..
can you give me any advice on what one can do
thanks so much
cher

Patrickibsc

Postby Patrickibsc » Thu May 18, 2017 6:34 pm

Enemas definitely worked for me

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”