Reaction to chemo

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Gicyndi

Reaction to chemo

Postby Gicyndi » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:19 am

DH is trying to get through the last 2 sessions of chemo and we keep encountering problems...fist low white blood count, second low platelets and now on his 11th round of chemo a bad allergic reaction! They pumped him up with Benadryl among a few other drugs, now we wait to see if he can continue chem today. Very scary!
8/24/2012 Husband Dx stage IV colon cancer
10/3/2012 Resection of the sigmoid colon, found mucinous mets on the peritoneal cavity
Completed 6 rounds of FOLFOX
CDS/HIPEC surgery June 25, 2013
recovering well
Liver Mets Feb 4, 2014
Folfiri

Tmitchell

Re: Reaction to chemo

Postby Tmitchell » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:37 pm

My heart goes out to you as I had a similar situation during chemo! I was scheduled to get 6 cycles of oxiloplatin, however it was literally kicking my butt! Between cycles 4 and 5 I waited 6 weeks due to low blood counts. I was begging the doctor for blood transfusions to bring up my counts so that I could get back to chemo ( something I never imagined I would be begging for). I finally did my 5th round of chemo, ended up in the hospital and was told no more. The benefits of chemo were no longer out weighting the risks. So in the end, I only did 5/6 cycles of chemo. It was ( and still is) scary hopping that 5/6 was enough. However, my doctor told me there is no evidence that says missing one dose puts me at higher risk of relapse. Maybe this may be a good conversation to have with your onc. Best of luck to you! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and will be sending you positive vibes.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”