Hand and Foot syndrome

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Jen Blaire

Hand and Foot syndrome

Postby Jen Blaire » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:44 pm

For all those who have experienced hand and foot syndrome, my doctor has found a way to aleviate the main symptoms. He has instructed me to take vitmain B6 twice a day, and I thought fooey, a vitamin can make my feet not feel like I am walking on needles and hot coals, and indeed it has worked. My feet and hands still peel and I have a bit of neuropathy in my hands but the pain has not returned since I have started taking the B6. So if you are on chemo, just add this to your daily medications, it works. 8)
Stage III rectal cancer survivor, Age 21, and Miss September 2006 Colondar model

Holly

Q's

Postby Holly » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:58 pm

Hello Miss September 2006!

You are post chemotherapy correct? How long since your last treatment? How many rounds of Oxiplatin did you receive? I, too, take B6 and B12.

Thank you in advance! Be well and know that you will be in my prayers!

Jen Blaire

Postby Jen Blaire » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:24 am

I am actually undergoing my last treatment this week and the next. I am taking the pill xeloda, I opted to not take the oxaplatin due to the severe side affects and since my doctor said that is wasn't completely proven for rectal cancer. But, I went 6 2 week rounds, am and excited to be done. :D
Stage III rectal cancer survivor, Age 21, and Miss September 2006 Colondar model

Tankernav

Vitamin B6 for neuropathy

Postby Tankernav » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:57 pm

I also had good luck with the B6 50mg three times a day. I continued this regimine for 18 months and just recently have gone to 50mg 1 time of day as maintenance. I also had luck with having a calcium and magnesium infusion prior to chemo which help with the cold sensitivity. :P
Debbie, stage III Colon Cancer, age 37 at diagnosis, 2 year cancer SURVIVOR!

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:15 am

This B6 is very interesting. I have been done with Chemo for about 11 weeks now but still have the numb fingers and toes. My surgeon said it would take 6 to 8 months before I got back to normal. Would B6 help heal this up faster do you think? I just may go get some and try it. 3 times a day works best? Maybe a calcium supplement as well? I am very tired of this feeling and will do anything that will help!!! If anyone knows that this will help AFTER the Chemo, please let me know. Thanks again to everyone here for the continued GREAT information!!!

Peg :lol:

Becca

cold sensativity

Postby Becca » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:05 am

Thank you for the advice. I was recently diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer & am on chemo. The oxiloplatin has been difficult because of the side effects. I have a 10 month old daughter & even the simpelest tasks have become difficult. (Like tyring to pull cold bottles out of the fridge!! :roll: ) I had my 5th treatment last week & expeirenced numbness in my throat that really made it difficult to swallow. I am planning to discuss this with the doctor next week when I go for treatment. The info that I found here is very helpful. Thank you for this sight. Dealing with this disease has been very difficult for my husband & I due to lack of information on the side effects of treatment on younger patients. I am planning on fighting this with everthing I have in me. The cancer has moved to my liver. I expect to make a full recovery, but the going is getting a little tough at the moment... a lot of waiting to see how the chemo is working, etc...

maryv

Postby maryv » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:11 am

I have been taking 100 mg of b6 plus vitamin e, 400 i.u's for the hand foot syndrome and the numbness that went with oxiliplatin. I can always tell if I skip a dose.

As far as the numbness you experienced in your throat, I experienced that also. I still get this weird feeling in my throat and I've been off the oxiliplatin since January.

The numbness and tingly's took about 3 months to go away. I went on Xeloda after the oxilipliatin cocktail. I didn't experience numbness with that drug, but I did have major hand and foot syndrome. The vitamins helped. They also advised me to use Udderly Smooth Cream for the dry skin. This cream can be found in the first aid section of your local Walmart and some drug stores.

Someone mentioned something about dry eyes. I was given two kinds of eye drops. One was Patanol. I used that one when my eyes were tearing and raw. The second one is neomycin and polymyxin b sulfates and hydrocortisone opthamlic suspension. This particular drop helped when my eye's would look like I had pink eye.

Hope this info helps.

maryv

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:42 pm

Thank you for the information Mary. I have been off the Chemo since the first week of August so maybe I only have another month left of this numbness. I will start taking the B6 and see if that does anything to help with it. I was one of the lucky ones who could drink cold things after the 4th day after my treatment. My tongue and lips would get numb as the cold went down but nothing happened with my throat. PTL!!! I have noticed this week that my little fingers and ring fingers seem to have lost the numbness, but the rest of my fingers are numb. My feet were completly numb until this week too. Now from my heals up to about halfway to my toes is ok now. Maybe this is the beginning of the end of this numbness!!! Everyone keep writing and let us know how you came out with this problem. All the information sure helps!!!

Peg

Holly

Vitamin B

Postby Holly » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:14 pm

Hi all! Thank you Jen for the very prompt reply. I am 32 and a stage IV colon cancer survivor and grateful every minute! I received 8 rounds of Oxilpatin and the neuropathies subsided after about 75 days after my last treatment (this is 5 half lives (15 days) of Oxiplatin). To date, I do not experience any neuropathies, Thank goodness and so know there is hope for all of you out there experiencing the tinglies in your fingers and toes and normalville is right around the corner :lol: I take B6 and B12 once daily but not due to the neuropathies. Big Smile and don't forget your warm socks and mittens as winter is right around the corner!

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:08 am

Thanks for the encouragement Holly!!! I had 12 rounds of Oxiplatin so maybe my numbness will last a bit longer than the 75 days then. Oh well, at least I know it is not something that will last forever!

Already thinking about the mittens cause it is getting chilly here already! Brrrrrrrrrrr!! LOL Thank God I am alive to feel that cold huh!! Again thanks for giving me some hope here with the numbies Holly!!

Peg :lol:

Holly

numbies

Postby Holly » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:18 pm

Peg,

You are too funny. Yes, the numbies will pass but do invest in some warm mittens and cushy warm socks for the winter. Trust me, these two items are priceless with or without chemotherapy!

Thank you for your kind words and do update me on your numbies!

Tankernav

B6 After Chemo

Postby Tankernav » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:38 pm

Peg,

I did start B6 during chemo but I think after it will also help. I could tell when I got lazy and skipped doses. I carried it in my purse so I would not miss a dose. It is very inexpensive and a water soluable so what every your body does not need is excreted. As for the calcium/magnesium infusion, I had this IV before chemo so I don't know in regards to a suppliment. I finished with chemo Feb of 04. The numbness took a long time to get better but it finally did. When I exercise vigorously I still get a bit of it in my feet but definately improved.

God Bless

Debbie
Debbie, stage III Colon Cancer, age 37 at diagnosis, 2 year cancer SURVIVOR!

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:04 pm

Debbie,

Glad your numbies are better! See Peg...Just have faith and glad to hear that you have made a sound investment in mittens for the winter. Priceless, huh? Big Hugs! Debbie, congratulations on your Survivorship! Two years and counting for me as well! I feel so blessed to be alive!

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:04 pm

Debbie,

Glad your numbies are better! See Peg...Just have faith and glad to hear that you have made a sound investment in mittens for the winter. Priceless, huh? Big Hugs! Debbie, congratulations on your Survivorship! Two years and counting for me as well! I feel so blessed to be alive!

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:08 am

Yes, I am a funny bunny Holly!! Keeps me going! I started taking the B6 on Sat and this morning seems a bit better!! Maybe this will help a bit befoe it goes away altogether. Thank you all for the suggestion!!!

Got the mittens out this morning and even thought about the Long Johns Holly!! Brrrrrrrrrrrr was cold this morning. We have been spoiled with all the nice Fall weather up till now.

It's Monday, I am alive so everyone go out there and start this week off with BIG Smiles and Git R Done!!! LOL

Love ya all....Peg :wink:

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”