【➽】 Immunotherapy: Trial Finder & NEWS

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Maia

【➽】 Immunotherapy: Trial Finder & NEWS

Postby Maia » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:58 pm

Came across this.

This is a Colorectal Cancer Trial Finder for Immunotherapies only, put together by the Cancer Research Institute.
They say you fill that form and they email you back with suggested trials, and it looks like you can 'talk' with someone about options.

(Just for you to know some background: the Cancer Research Institute was founded in 1953 by Helen Coley Nauts to continue the work begun by her father, Dr. William B. Coley, who pioneered immune-based treatments for cancer, and is considered the “father of cancer immunotherapy”. One of the finest cancer immunologists of the world, Lloyd J. Old, was part of the CRI during 20 years, until his death in 2011. The Scientific Advisory Council is formed by, basically, the top immunologists at the MD Anderson, Sloan-Kettering, Dana Farber, Fred Hutchinson, Johns Hopkins, etc.))

The Cancer Research Institute site has a lot of interesting information. For example, there is a free ebook, Cancer and the Immune System: The Vital Connection to download, and also a Helpbook For Patients.

The bottom part of this image is a quite illustrative infographic about the functioning of the immune system (larger here; click to enlarge, and then scroll down)

Hope this helps someone, eventually. : )
Last edited by Maia on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

andy21

Re: 【➽】 Immunotherapies Trial Finder for CRC

Postby andy21 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:09 pm

Thanks for the post, that's one of the most informative posts that I have come across in last few months, and makes me glad to be a member here.

Almost wish that I can jump into doing research myself in this promising new field!
Caregiver: To 67 Yr father
diag. Stage IV, 5/12, liver mets
6 cycles Xelox/Avastin, Start 06/12
Stage 1 of Two Stage Resection Surgery in Dec, 12. 2nd line fails.
T Cell Trial May-Jul, 2013
Becomes a Heavenly Angel in August, 2013

Maia

Postby Maia » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:13 pm

Glad if it helps, andy! (BTW, I saw your post inviting to list the "important Clinical Trials that you know of". Good idea! I'm thinking, but life has been busy for me... try to post soon : )

gep

Postby gep » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:02 pm

I signed my husband up for it. We'll see what he gets back. There is another site that finds clinical trials generally for you.
caregiver to Eli
dx 8/07 3B
7/09 - liver & celiac lym node
1/10 Liver Res & Lym nodes out
7/10 Back - Liver & other lym nodes
12/12 hit chemo wall
1/12 Clin Trial - MEK & AKT inhibitors
3/12 Trial failed/ spheres 4/12
7/30/13 Eli died.

raym

Postby raym » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:57 pm

I was trying to figure out how to answer the questions. Orginally diagnosed as stage III, then later had reoccuranbe. Currently no liver involvement but some cancer was removed during HIPEC.. so do I say I have liver involvement, but I did and also had surgery but now no evidence in liver. so not quite sure how to answer the questions. Have nothing on scans but elevated CEA.... kinda hard to boil it down to the questions asked.
3/11 IIIC +/FOLFOX
4/12 HIPEC
6/12 Chmo/Rad
9/12 XELIRI+Avast/Zltra
9/13 Plvic Absc,stpd chemo
11/13 Tumr rmvd frm Lap Port incis
12/13 Xeloda
1/14 Cardiac Issue no Xeloda/5FU
3/14 Irinotecan
6/14 Stopped chemo
8/14 Clin Trial
9/14 Infectn - Stpd Trial

Maia

Postby Maia » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:14 am

Ray, I'd go with

My cancer has spread (metastasized) to my liver: Yes

I am a candidate for surgery for my liver metastases: Yes

I have undergone surgery for my liver metastases: Yes

I have undergone surgery and have no evidence of disease: Yes

I have undergone two or more rounds of chemotherapy: Yes

My cancer has spread (metastasized) to sites other than my liver (e.g., lung): Unknown

(I do know 2nd and 3rd are not accurate, but it's the only way you can answer "currently NED in liver" in 4th (your present state). And "Unknown" in the last one is the best you can answer with clean scans and CEA raising, IMHO. Remember that apparently they contact you and you can go into details.)

Maybe you can also ask for some guide at clinicaltrials@cancerresearch.org

ETA: And you can call them (800) 99-CANCER (800-992-2623)

CRIAlexandra

Postby CRIAlexandra » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:36 pm

Dear All,

Thanks for posting about Cancer Research Institute's clinical trial finder for colorectal cancer. We received 14 inquiries in less than 24 hours! (To put that into context, we had only received about 30 trial requests for all cancers combined in the 1½ weeks since launching the new site and trial finders.)

The reason for the questions is that, unlike other automatic trial finders, which often only match you by stage of cancer, we wanted to make the searching more individualized, with fewer results to have to pore through in order to find a legitimate match. I apologize that there was some confusion about how to answer. We will take your feedback into account and look into changing the form accordingly.

Those who submitted requests will hear from us shortly. In the meantime, we welcome your feedback at clinicaltrials@cancerresearch.org, and thanks again for putting Cancer Research Institute out there and helping to raise awareness about our work and resources for colorectal cancer patients.

I might also suggest going to our page with more information on what to consider about enrolling in immunotherapy clinical trials, including how immunotherapy trials may be different from trials of other types of treatment, what to look for, common exclusion criteria, and additional questions to ask, see our page at http://cancerresearch.org/cancer-immuno ... articipate.

We also have a colorectal cancer immunotherapy page for general information about immunotherapy and colorectal cancer at: http://cancerresearch.org/cancer-immuno ... tal-cancer.

Thanks again! And please don’t hesitate to provide feedback on the clinical trial finder or the rest of the site!

Best,
Alexandra Mulvey
Associate Director of Communications (aka the person “behind” the clinical trial finder)
Cancer Research Institute

gep

Postby gep » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:44 pm

Maia,
I've been emailing with Alexandra about the questions and open trials. She's very responsive.
My issue is taking this and having someone who knows about immunotherapy looking it over with you. How do you know what's a good one?
Gloria
caregiver to Eli
dx 8/07 3B
12/12 hit chemo wall
7/30/13 Eli died.

Maia

Postby Maia » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:48 pm

Thank you, Alexandra, for getting back to us. It's a great search engine, needed since so long, for all those interested only in immunotherapies for cancer.
CRIAlexandra wrote:We received 14 inquiries in less than 24 hours! (To put that into context, we had only received about 30 trial requests for all cancers combined in the 1½ weeks since launching the new site and trial finders.)

Guess the colorectal cancer community is a really bad-ass one! :)

Gloria, I'm on the same boat --how do you know what's a good one? That's why I liked this CRI finder --you get to 'talk' to someone, and at the CRI they are knowledgeable at, precisely, immunotherpies. The other thing that I'd do is, of course, take all that information to your oncologist, or ask her/him to get in contact with the CRI people. They will be able to discuss the science.
Beyond that... I'd would post here, to see if someone has first hand information, know someone in that trial, etc.

Also, this is what I do, for more specific results in the searches:

Search the name of the agent/therapy in

Google Scholar (so you get 'serious' results and don't end up in howIbeatmycancereatingpeppers dot com, 'we accept Paypal', blah blah... you get the idea. :) ):

PubMed (for abstracts or citations, some full texts)

PMC (PubMed Central®) (for free full texts)

Hope that helps.
In the link that Alexandra posted, there are some interesting 'tips'; I'm copying them here:

What Should I Look For?

The following are some of CRI's recommendations for when evaluating clinical trials of investigational cancer immunotherapies. For help on interpreting information found in clinical trial records, go to http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/help/how-read-study.

● Although you are guaranteed to receive experimental treatment in phase I trials, the agents being tested in these trials have not been fully evaluated for safety and you may not receive the optimal dose. In randomized, later-phase (phase II and III) trials, the safety of the treatment has been established and it may have shown signs of clinical efficacy. In randomized trials, however, you are not guaranteed to receive the treatment under investigation.

● CRI believes that immunotherapies that combine different agents that target or modulate different mechanisms of the immune system represent the most promising treatments currently in development. Therefore, we recommend clinical trials of combination regimens involving multiple immunotherapies or an immunotherapy with another kind of treatment, such as chemotherapy, that may enhance the anti-cancer effect of the immunotherapy. One exception to this recommendation is in the case of checkpoint blockade or similar immune modulating therapies. These have shown promising and sometimes dramatic results as monotherapies in a subset of patients. Moreover, many of these are very new in development and may not be available in combination regimens.

● Vaccines that use short peptides of antigens have historically shown poor results. If you can determine the form of the antigen used, CRI recommends trials of therapeutic vaccines that use protein or long peptides, the latter of which may be preferable over the former, although additional studies are warranted.

You can also read this booklet by the American Cancer Society (even if they are not too enthusiastic).

Of course, I would ask what one can expect in terms of side effects, results (in quality of life, in time), how is the therapy administered (oral, infused, what schedule), to see if that's OK with you. Well, all the kind of things one should ask about chemotherapy, radiation or any other treatment.

andy21

Will Drug companies allow Immunotherapy

Postby andy21 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:42 pm

http://cancerresearch.org/cancer-immuno ... tal-cancer
Results from a phase II trial testing another anti-PD-1 antibody, CT-011, in combination with FOLFOX in patients with previously untreated metastatic colorectal cancer are expected in the first quarter of 2013 (NCT00890305). Note: In January 2013, Teva Pharmaceuticals ended its collaboration with CureTech on the development of the CT-011 antibody. The future of this development program is unclear [2]. - See more at: http://cancerresearch.org/cancer-immuno ... zluHS.dpuf

Will Drug companies allow Immunotherapy to harm their profits?

It does look like that major phram companies are avoiding immunotherapy for Cancer and its the smaller companies and Universities that are in forefront of this. Risk is that smaller companies that get a reasonable solution will be bought by bigger companies and that research shut down, so profits in cash cow drugs are maintained. Is it possible? Who knows, but it's well known that GM did buy streetcars..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Amer ... ar_scandal
Caregiver: To 67 Yr father
diag. Stage IV, 5/12, liver mets
6 cycles Xelox/Avastin, Start 06/12
Stage 1 of Two Stage Resection Surgery in Dec, 12. 2nd line fails.
T Cell Trial May-Jul, 2013
Becomes a Heavenly Angel in August, 2013

jgall

Postby jgall » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:07 pm

I submitted the form and a few days later got an amazing email with about 25 studies for us to consider! WOW! It saved me tons of work. I am so impressed. Thank you Alexandra, this is really a fantastic service. And thank you, Maia!

Julia
DH Chris, 50, Dx Nov '10 Stg 4
cardiac arrest from 5-FU
Iri/Erbi, RFA, liver/colon resection, more Iri/Erbi
Oct14-Feb15 clinical trial
SIRT Apr15-unsuccessful
Stopped treatment May15
Hospice July15
Passed 8/15/15
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/chrisandjulia

gep

Postby gep » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:12 pm

We also got a big list from Alexandra and she's answered all the questions that I've emailed to her. One issue, though, is that this does not provide info on whether slots are currently open for any of the trials or what the waiting lists are like.
Gloria
caregiver to Eli
dx 8/07 3B
12/12 hit chemo wall
7/30/13 Eli died.

dianne052506

Re: Will Drug companies allow Immunotherapy

Postby dianne052506 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:09 pm

andy21 wrote:It does look like that major phram companies are avoiding immunotherapy for Cancer

I don't know enough to completely respond to that, but the Genetech is the sponsor of the clinical trial I am in.

Genetech may not be the biggest player around, but in their family of products, I found several names that I recognized:
Avastin, Herceptin, Tamiflu, Valium, Xeloda, and 30 or so others

As far as whether or not drug companies will allow immunotherapy to hurt their profits, I think they realize that the future is in immunotherapy. It may be a number of years down the road before an immune therapy is a first-line treatment for a cancer, but what a game-changer that would be. What patient would chose a poisonous chemotherapy over immunotherapy.

Andy, I think you're right, that not all the big players are getting involved in immunotherapy research, and that a lot of promising stuff with come out of smaller companies and research centers. Biologics represent a totally new kind of chemistry, and I can see some big pharma companies choosing not to invest their own research dollars in dozens or hundreds of trials, but instead waiting until something is about to take off, then simply offer up the dollars to fold the smaller company's research into their own line of products. It's kind of lousy, but you can see why the market often works that way. Take a very small company with lots of research that has produced one, maybe two products that appear to be winners. The small company has struggled along, and gotten the drug(s) through phase I and II, and maybe phase III trials. But that's only part of the story, because then you've got the long process of FDA approval. Unless the small company has some venture capitalists willing to continue pouring money into it, how does the company survive until Wonder Drug A hits the market and starts bringing in dollars? It would make a merger with deep-pocketed big pharma look very attractive. (also sounds like a soap opera, doesn't it?).
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

Maia

Postby Maia » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:10 am

Just posting to bump this -I've performed a new search and got new results, different than 2 months ago, maybe others are interested. The search engine has been improved, also. See first post in this thread.

(Hope it's OK to do this, moderators. Otherwise... proceed! :) )

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:15 pm

All good from my perspective Maia !
Cheers

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”