Surgery: Your kind advise would be highly appreciated...

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ss2261

Surgery: Your kind advise would be highly appreciated...

Postby ss2261 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:07 pm

My girlfriends father had a colonoscopy done today and they found a 3cm size tumor 20 cm inside. The doctor also removed two small polyps during colonoscopy. He then got ct scan and blood test to check other parts of bis body.

My girlfriend and her mom are terrified.

The ct result will be out next Monday but the doctor has already suggested appointment of surgery on Wednesday which is really sudden. I have four questions that would appreciate all of your kind advise:

1) what is the chance of a 3cm tumor being cancerous ?
2) if it is cancer, will the stage of it be revealed through ct scan results alone? Or after surgery is done only.
3) doctor had already suggested operations without biopsy results. We are not sure if this is common. Should we get another doc opinion?
4) if we decide to do resection surgery, what are the short and long term impact on his daily lives?

Answers to any of this question would be a blessing for us.

Thank you very much!

KarMel
Facebook Username: Karin Gray

Re: Surgery: Your kind advise would be highly appreciated...

Postby KarMel » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:59 pm

We are not generally qualifitied to give out medical,advice. Right now, just suggest waiting for more..results ofnCT, CEA. It is the hardest.

Surgery may determine stage or may just only need CT.
Stage IV, April 2009.
Treatments...multiple .
Currently none
"It is well, with my soul"

mstults

Postby mstults » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:59 pm

I had colonoscopy one day and surgery the next More than likely he needs surgery. But nothing wrong with a 2nd opinion. The stage may be dependent on whether it has spread to other organs. The ct will most likely reveal that. It's good he has family willing to help him.
Male Age 53. Dx CC with numerous liver mets 6/23/12. Colon res 6/24/12. Started folfox 7/24/12. Added avastin 8/27/12. CT 12/27/12 still showing shrink. Took 17 rounds of FOLFOX. Then 5-FU + Avastin. Switched to Irinotecan for 1 yr. CEA rose to >400. Switched to Vectibix 2/18/15. CEA decreasing. Scans show some growth in liver mets. Lung Mets stable to shrinking.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.stults2/about?ref=home_edit_profile&section=work

Kathryn in MN
Facebook Username: Kathryn Finn-Blume

Postby Kathryn in MN » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:13 pm

Most GI docs are pretty good at recognizing a cancerous tumor when they see it. But you can't be sure until pathology comes back. Most large colon tumors are malignant. But even if it is benign, if it is large, it does need to come out before it obstructs the colon.

You can't get true staging until surgery - CT does not show much when it comes to colon tumors. (My stage IV cancer was listed as "probable mild sigmoid colitis with some reactive lymph nodes" after my CT. The tumor was just days from fully obstructing my colon, and I had 5 of 17 local nodes cancerous, and also a couple distant nodes cancerous.) They need to see how far the tumor has penetrated and how many (if any) local lymph nodes are involved to do staging. This they find out after surgery. The waiting for results is tough, but that is the only real option to get the information he needs.
CRC AUG09 Age 47
Sig Res T4a N2a Mx, KRAS mut codon13
Mets bones & nodes
FOLFOX, FOLFIRI, Avastin, Radiation
Irinotecan, Zaltrap & STAR RFA
APR13 pleurisy & ascites - more chemo & draining
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kathrynblume

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:22 pm

ss2261 wrote:The ct result will be out next Monday but the doctor has already suggested appointment of surgery on Wednesday which is really sudden. I have four questions that would appreciate all of your kind advise:

2) if it is cancer, will the stage of it be revealed through ct scan results alone? Or after surgery is done only.
3) doctor had already suggested operations without biopsy results. We are not sure if this is common. Should we get another doc opinion?
4) if we decide to do resection surgery, what are the short and long term impact on his daily lives?

I had a colonoscopy on Monday which found a cancer, Tues-Thurs were diagnostic tests (CT, ultrasound, blood), surgery on Friday. It can all go real fast.
1) I don't know that you can tell from the size, but I think under the circumstances you can assume it's cancer.
2) They can tell you something about the stage now, but they'll collect more information with diagnostics and the surgery, and so they'll be able to tell you more and more.
3) I never had a biopsy before surgery.
4) You do want to do the surgery. For CRC patients, when the surgeon is willing to go ahead, this is a good sign. The impact on daily life could be anywhere from minimal to major. There's no telling, yet.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:09 pm

You definitely want the surgery, and as mentioned, GI docs are pretty good at telling what the "thing" is with their eyes. They see this multiple times per day. Even if for some reason its not cancerous, it needs to come out due to its' size and the only way to do that is with a colon resection. The colon has distinct blood supplies that feed specific "sections" of it for lack of a better term and it needs to be removed in these discreet units. 20cm in is more than likely sigmoid colon, so the surgery will likely be Laparoscopic assisted left hemi-colectomy. Most folks that have a hemi-colectomy of any kind return to normal bowel function relatively quickly. Mine was a right hemi (other end of the colon) and I have almost entirely normal function. Removing 1/3rd of the colon sounds scary, but it's really not that big a deal from a bowel function standpoint.

In the short term while recovering from surgery, things will be a little loose and frequent, but that goes away in a matter of weeks and things return to normal. Obviously they will be removing parts of his body and while this is definitely "major" surgery, it is also very well-practiced and well-understood with few and low risks of complications. It's important to discuss those with his doctor, but worrying about them isn't worth the time. Recovery TYPICALLY takes around 3-5 weeks before you feel mostly normal. Obviously rare complications will lengthen that, but it's pretty standard. He'll be knocked down pretty good for the first week, slowly feel better the 2nd week, and then most folks report somewhere around the 3rd week they just start feeling better in leaps and bounds day-by-day. I was out on a subway ride attending a hockey game about 2.5 weeks post-op.

For now, hope for good CT results and prepare for surgery. It happens fast, but you'll get through it all. It might be worth suggesting to him a notebook, or have someone that goes with him to appointments to keep a notebook. Write down questions for the doctors before you see them, ask the questions, and write down the answers. This will really help him remember things in the early days when it all moves just so fast.
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

ss2261

Postby ss2261 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:27 pm

Thank you so much!!

I have read that only 30-50 percent of 3cm polyp are cancerous so hoping that is the outcome. Are we being overly optimistic? Everybody here seems to suggest it is malignant.

But we are prepared for the worst, just praying for good biopsy and CT scan results.

elise

Postby elise » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:58 am

wait for the results but I can tell you that my GI doc told me my 5cm one was right on the spot. She was right.

mine was revealed after since they wait for lymph node results to come in. Though they did guess before based on CT/MRI.

common to do surgery right away (I had to wait 6 weeks for an surgery apt though and I hear that's the norm around here unless you have a blockage)

short term, a week in the hospital and another 3-5 weeks of taking it slow at home. Long term, I've had very few side effects. Others are different. They will discuss all this at the surgical apt.

Give your gf a big hug :)

Elise
Feb - Stage 2 (T3 N0 M0) CC @ 30
Mar - R hemicolectomy, 18 LN
May-Nov 6 - Chemo (8 Xeloda)
Feb - NED
Feb - NED
May - Stage 4 - 1 liver met @ 32
Jun - Liver resection
Oct - CLEAN SCAN
Aug-Jan - FOLFOX 5 rounds, 5FU X 6
Ap, Oct - NED
Mar - NED

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:31 am

Like everyone said, we are not qualified to give medical advice and others have answered your questions.

Best thing I could say is that if surgery is on the table, and so quickly at that, then I'd take it. As Fletch said, leaving it in there is only going to cause issues in allowing it it grow, and possibly invade the vascular or lymphatic system. Surgey can possibly be curative depending on the staging.

If surgery is an option, I would jump at the chance.

Kiwi
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (39 Year old male at dx)
pT3N0M1 (wish that was M0)
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
FOLOFX April 2013 - Sep 2013
Clear Scan 03 Dec 2013 - 22 May 2019
Port Out 26 March 2015

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”