Stage IV 5 yrs later now peritoneum spread-head is spinning!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
fourT's

Stage IV 5 yrs later now peritoneum spread-head is spinning!

Postby fourT's » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:01 pm

We are just about to reach 5 years since my hubby was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. He has been through a lot in that time and today he went in for surgery to remove a drop met between the seminal vesicle and rectal wall. It was a spot that has been watched for the past year and biopsied twice with no luck of confirming cancer. It has been slowly growing over the 6 months so it was time to get it out to see exactly what it was. They were about 1 hour into surgery using a robot and found that he had around 20 tiny mets to the peritoneum. They decided to stop the surgery so they could re-evaluate what treatment plan would be best.

We have watched to liver for years so I had forgot about mets going to the peritoneum and now I am lost. One of the surgeons said that they could try the Sugarbaker surgery where they open him up and apply chemo directly to the area. Anyone out there who can give me some advice? I feel like we are starting all over and I that I don't know anything...

Thanks!

Tracy
Husband dx 4/08 @ 38
Stage IV
colon resect 4/08/liver resect 10/08
11/09 NED-3/10 colo-pleural fistula/ileo
6/10 ileo rev
3/13 mets to peritoneum/HIPEC
Chemo since 9/14
wife/18 yr dau/14 yr son-Loves God!

Hapa

Re: Stage IV 5 yrs later now peritoneum spread-head is spinn

Postby Hapa » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 pm

Hi Tracy-

I don't know much amount Hippec. But if you search there are many here that have had that procedure Also I am sure they'll chime in.

Just wanted to let you know & offer some support.

Dh stage 3 rc
DH Stage 3 RC

las

Postby las » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:30 pm

Tracy,

Exactly what Hapa said... Contact skifletch, he has had it done and I am sure he would be pleased to offer his input and he is ver knowledgeable. He has had great success with it, but everyone is different of course. From what I hear its a hard and invasive surgery, but its being done and not everyone is a candidate, but it sounds like you guys have a shot at it.
Lisa
Fiance DX 6/27/11 CC IV w/liver mets,adrenal glnd,pet.
7/25/11 folfox
8/2/11 surg.colon wall prefor.no removal of tumor
8/24/11 folfox ,3/12 5FU, 5/12 irinitecan failed, 7/12 didn't qualify regronfenib
8/13/12 Hospice, 8/18/12 married, died 9/10/2012

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:14 pm

It of course matters where the ets are, their size, and how many as to whether your husband would qualify, but yes, HIPEC is one of the few options to treat peritoneal cancer directly. Your husband's been through a lot with the rutured colon and a host of surgeries. If he does qualify for HIPEC, it will probably still be one of the harder surgeries he's had. It's very much a risk-reward scenario so keep that in mind when considering it as an option. I'm unfortunately not aware of any docs that might perform HIPEC in Colorado. It might be challenging to find one that doesn't require much travel.
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

janklo
Facebook Username: JanetKlostermann

Postby janklo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:30 pm

You should research dr loggie at Creighton university med center in Omaha - he's a hipec surgeon and that may be a close option for you (geographically).
Mom to 28 yo daughter
colectomy 2/22/10, stage 3C, signet cell
7/2011 peritoneal mets
HIPEC September 2012, difficult recovery
Hospice 10/31/2012, Died 11/16/2012

fourT's

Postby fourT's » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:11 am

His GI oncology surgeon at University of Colorado Hospital in Denver does HIPEC so that is in our favor. His name is Nathan Pearlman. It is about an hour from our house.
Husband dx 4/08 @ 38
Stage IV
6/10 ileo rev
Chemo since 9/14

some

Postby some » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:37 pm

I recommend you seek out that surgeon. We had a similar thing happen during my husband's first surgery last July. No show of spread in the CT, low CEA and BAM, out comes the surgeon to discuss how they will proceed to remove the tumor and do a colostomy so my DH can have chemo right away. They found innumerable mets to the peritnoneum, mostly focused in the pelvic region.

He did chemo for 11 rounds and because no other issues popped up outside the abdomen (thank God!), we were able to pursue HIPEC in San Diego (500 miles from home) in January of this year. If I can help you at all please let me know. It is a tough surgery, but your husband is young like mine (he's 42) and that seemed to help his recovery even with a wound issue that set him back. This disease is crazy, but this surgery brings a lot of hope.

Praying for you to be able to be patient in this next phase. It's so many appointments and nervous meetings wondering if you'll qualify. If they think they can get it all, they will typically proceed if only in abdomen.

Best,

Serena
DH (age 41) diag Stage IV mets to peritoneum - July 2012 (undetectable on CT PET or MRI)
Folfox 7 & Avastin started July 2012 CEA, CA 19-9 not indicators
HIPEC surgery 1/18/13
Folfiri/Erbitux - March 2013
Lots of prayers.

Kathryn in MN
Facebook Username: Kathryn Finn-Blume

Postby Kathryn in MN » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:43 am

Sorry to hear this. There are several here who have had HIPEC. Do a search and you'll find all sorts of helpful information. Many have had good success with HIPEC.
CRC AUG09 Age 47
Sig Res T4a N2a Mx, KRAS mut codon13
Mets bones & nodes
FOLFOX, FOLFIRI, Avastin, Radiation
Irinotecan, Zaltrap & STAR RFA
APR13 pleurisy & ascites - more chemo & draining
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kathrynblume

fourT's

Postby fourT's » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:50 pm

Serena,

Are you on Facebook? I would love to connect with you. If so, I am Tracy Brech in Colorado
Husband dx 4/08 @ 38
Stage IV
6/10 ileo rev
Chemo since 9/14

westie68

Postby westie68 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:39 pm

Hi: I also have mets to the peritoneum and wasn't and won't be eligible for the peritoneum removal/HIPEC surgery. However, my oncologist put me on
folfirinox (oxaliplatin + irenotecan + 5FU pump) and there was some reduction in size in some of the peritoneum mets and no new ones. However, I ended up with a perforated bowel last May and was in hospital 5 months and so the treatments stopped (I had 14). Now I have a colonstomy and doubt chemo, at least that regime, will start again (diarrhea in me was very bad with folfirinox). Anyways, if the surgery isn't a possibility, then perhaps folfirinox is?
Cheryl

fourT's

Postby fourT's » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:47 pm

Cheryl,

Sorry to hear about the perforation. My hubby had one also 3 years ago this month. His diaphragm also perforated to it was really bad. It was caused by Avastin, kinking of the bowel, and radiation damage. He only had his ostomy for 3 months though.

He has done some folfox and folfiri in the past and both worked great. He has not had chemo for over 3 years. I think the HIPEC chemo they are doing will be folfox. We have been able to manage his cancer without much chemo so that when it is needed, it will hopefully stay effective.

All my best to you!
Husband dx 4/08 @ 38
Stage IV
6/10 ileo rev
Chemo since 9/14

dewife
Facebook Username: greenlilly

Postby dewife » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:26 am

Tracy, one bit of advice-go to the biggest cancer tmt facility you can afford; to the doc the does the most HIPEC surgery. This s NOT a surgery you Want done by someone who does maybe one a month. My husband is having HIPEC surgery tomorrow at MDAnderson, which is not that much further than OK, & does a very high volume of this kind of surgery. I would strongly encourage you to get on line & get an appointment here!!
Good luck to you, beth
Husband dx'd 12/09
Stage IV adenocarcinoma; Folfox + avastin x 10
Oral Xeloda; remission for 20 mos.
4/12 Recurrance; Folfiri + avastin
3/13 spot on liver;
4/13 hipec surgery & rfa
8/13 surgery didn't work!!! More rumors in liver; lns

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”