Be sure to wear abdominal binder after abdominal surgery

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
[Ana & Alex]

Re: Be sure to wear abdominal binder after abdominal surgery

Postby [Ana & Alex] » Wed May 24, 2017 5:20 am

Hi there :)

I'm bumping this thread up, because I am having second thoughts about my abdominal binder and cannot find the answers that will set my mind at ease.

I had surgery on 10th May and was fitted with an abdominal binder in the ICU. It was really comfortable except it hadn't had an opening for my ostomy and it wasn't really functionall. As soon as the stoma started to wake up it was a no go.

Then I tried a model out with an opening, but was really uncomfortable and it made my ostomy protrude. I felt more insecure about getting a parastomal Hernia with that belt than without with!

Now I'm wearing no belt at all most of the times, 2 weeks after surgery, and only wear it to get out of bed or play with my daughter..

I am 54 kg and had a laparoscopic surgery. I eat healthy and I'm really fit physically speaking.
More than one surgeon told me I don't need any of it.
Is it really bad if I forget about the binder and move to some compressive undergarments and be done with it?

Thank you so very much for putting up with my insecurities and for every insight or opinion!
They are very cherished!

Stay strong,
Ana
Dx @ 29 yo. Mum (2 y.o.) & Wife

12/2016: Rectal AdenoCa G2. CEA 4.3. RAS Wild. MSS. IIIB.
01 - 03/2017: 28 RTx + CHT 2,5 g/d Capecit.
03 - 06/2017: Suplemments and Cimetidine.
05/2017: TME/TAMIS + permanent Colostomy CEA 0.5
05/2017: ypT2N2aM0 (4/15), good cCR, limited pCR
06 - 8/2017: 4x CapOx 3,5 g/d (2x Oxi reduced to 80%)
09 -11/2017: 3x Capecit. monotherapy 4g/d
12/2017: Aspirin, Vit. D3, Curcumin, Multivitamin.

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Wed May 24, 2017 7:39 am

Freddy:
My personal opinion is that you should do fine with a compressive type under ware and need not bother with the full lumbar hernia wrap.

One main factor in developing a hernia is increased intraabdominal pressure. That is, an outward pressure gradient that encourages the intestines and organs to protrude out of the abdominal cavity. A primary risk factor is being overweight (and specifically carry excess weight around the mid-section, an apple shape figure) and having low core muscle tone (aka being "out of shape").

Living in the U.K., you have access to The Best in undergarments designed specifically for those with an ostomy. The company is called ComFizz. And their line of ostomy undergarments is second to none. The company has been awarded several awards by the NIH for its innovation and design.

http://www.comfizz.com

I have worn the ComFizz garments for at least 4 years. Fabulous. I highly recommend them. My favorite items are the women's camisole and boy shorts.

Like you, I am trim and petite. I have not had any inkling of a hernia in my 6 years with an ostomy.

When lifting your daughter, to keep your intraabdominal pressure low, breath out through your mouth during the lift.

Hope this helps,
- Karen -
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

[Ana & Alex]

Postby [Ana & Alex] » Wed May 24, 2017 8:41 am

Karen..

You are one of a kind. I've read many of your posts here and at the UOAA Forum and the advice you give is not only high quality but always very respectfull and reassuring.

I'm very thankfull for having you answer this insecurities and making my day much better.

Thank you!

Love,
Ana
Dx @ 29 yo. Mum (2 y.o.) & Wife

12/2016: Rectal AdenoCa G2. CEA 4.3. RAS Wild. MSS. IIIB.
01 - 03/2017: 28 RTx + CHT 2,5 g/d Capecit.
03 - 06/2017: Suplemments and Cimetidine.
05/2017: TME/TAMIS + permanent Colostomy CEA 0.5
05/2017: ypT2N2aM0 (4/15), good cCR, limited pCR
06 - 8/2017: 4x CapOx 3,5 g/d (2x Oxi reduced to 80%)
09 -11/2017: 3x Capecit. monotherapy 4g/d
12/2017: Aspirin, Vit. D3, Curcumin, Multivitamin.

JudeD59

Postby JudeD59 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:11 pm

Freddy87 wrote:Karen..

You are one of a kind. I've read many of your posts here and at the UOAA Forum and the advice you give is not only high quality but always very respectfull and reassuring.

I'm very thankfull for having you answer this insecurities and making my day much better.

Thank you!

Love,
Ana

First of all, I agree with this quote wholeheartedly. Hip Hip Hooray for Karen! She is always so helpful and has great advice. Her calm reassurances got me through a very tough time with my temp ileo.

One other comment I'd like to make about abdominal binders is to make sure they aren't on too tight. After one of my surgeries, I started vomiting and couldn't hold down any food. The medical staff was scrambling trying to figure out why since I very, very rarely vomit and never vomit after surgery. Finally, I asked them to loosen the binder and once it was loosened, I felt instantly better, could eat, and stopped vomiting. Maybe it's just my weird system, but the pressure of the too tight binder on my stomach made everything come back up. I still wore the binder. It was just that whoever put it on pulled it way too tightly.

Good luck!

Judy
56 yrs old, wife, mother to 4 daughters
RC Stage II T3N0M0 DX April 2, 2015
6 cm. mid-rectum-CEA 121
Xeloda and radiation finished 06/15/15- CEA 242
CEA right before surgery 81
LAR performed 8/12/15 Temporary ileostomy
CEA 10-21-15 1.6
PET scan 11-4-15 All clear
Port installed 11/11/15
Folfox started 11/18/15