Advice please! Olymphians?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Alreadyhere

Advice please! Olymphians?

Postby Alreadyhere » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:17 pm

As I've posted before DH had a colon resection along with peri aortic lymph nodes that could not be biopsied but were suspected of metastasis. Today metastasis was confirmed and the oncologist informed us the 6 months of chemo he underwent did absolutely nothing and he has a resistance to it. All chemos been stopped and now dr wants us to look into radiation. I thought there were so many more chemo options for those who did not take with folfox?! Oncologist says we've tried the best chemo for this and will not bother with any other chemo as it won't make a difference. Does anyone have experience with this? He says spread is distant yet the lymph node metastasis is localized?
DH Diagnosed 2012 @ 34 stage iv
Resection/Folfox
Confirmed distant LN
Radiation
More distant LN
Folfiri + Avastin
Stable - No shrinkage or Growth
Erbitux only for past 2 years
More distant lymph nodes
Radiation
Stable and off treatment since Fall 2017.

Kathryn in MN
Facebook Username: Kathryn Finn-Blume

Re: Advice please! Olymphians?

Postby Kathryn in MN » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:36 pm

I would absolutely get a second opinion. I have had good luck with Irinotecan. If he has not had FOLFIRI and if he has not had Avastin or Irinotecan or Zaltrap, those are all very valid options. Some people don't respond to Oxaliplatin, but do respond to Irinotecan. Also if he is KRAS wild (not mutant) Erbitux may be an option. (It may also be an option for certain KRAS mutants, like codon 13.) He is FAR from out of chemo options.

If the nodes are in a location where they can be surgically removed or radiated, that is an option. But the problem is that once it spreads to the distant nodes, in most cases new ones will pop up in other nodes later. Chemo can keep them under control. Sometimes they are in spots that cannot be radiated or surgically removed. My para aortic nodes where behind the heart and against the spine and my only option for them was chemo. Luckily FOLFIRI + Avastin took those two out.

I would suggest that you get a second opinion from another medical oncologist and also meet with a radiologist and surgeon - or go to a major cancer center and ask for an opinion from their Tumor Board.
CRC AUG09 Age 47
Sig Res T4a N2a Mx, KRAS mut codon13
Mets bones & nodes
FOLFOX, FOLFIRI, Avastin, Radiation
Irinotecan, Zaltrap & STAR RFA
APR13 pleurisy & ascites - more chemo & draining
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kathrynblume

scattered edge
Facebook Username: Rosie Englebert-Elmore

Postby scattered edge » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:52 pm

My node mets were diagnosed in August (2011) my onc put me on FOLFORI - I had a horrid reaction to irinotecan (and I've never learned to spell it :mrgreen: ) He ordered a CT scan at that time and found the lymph nodes had shrunk - significantly. ..he discontinued the irinoetcan because the treatment was making me sicker than the cancer. I am now on 5-FU and Avastin. A CT scan on Feb 6th showed no change. Today I had blood drawn and CT scan - at Mayo clinic in Rochester - I am so excited to see the oncologist tomorrow morning for my second opinion.

good luck on your journey, best to you -
Rosie
resection 2/11/11
T3N2M0 (17/24LN)
joined the IV olympians ..... 7/12 mets to distant nodes
mets to pancreas, liver, spine
chemo for life, panitumumab for now

Dori

Postby Dori » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:15 pm

Yes. Please get a second opinion. I agree with Kathryn that you are far from out of options.
47 years old
Stage IIIC, high grade signet ring, 14 out of 18 nodes affected
Colon resection 5/15/08
FOLFOX 6/08 - 11/08
Mom to a great 11 (!!) yo girl
Currently NED

Ashlee H.

Postby Ashlee H. » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:29 pm

FOLFOX only kept me stable - it has been FOLFIRI and then FOLFIRI + Avastin that kept knocking down the lymph nodes. I'll be trying Zaltrap with FOLFIRI next week. I agree with the others - get a second opinion. FOLFIRI hasn't cured me, but has kept me around for a few more years and healthy enough to continue to work full time.
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

Nellie

Postby Nellie » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:23 pm

I agree with the others - definitely get a second opinion. I can't comment on other chemo options as I'm still on 5fu, leucavorin (The folf without the ox. :wink: ) and avastin.
This Wednesday will be treatment no. 16 - I really don't know if I'll be having chemo though, as my white blood count is sooooo low. Onc told me to get to the er if I ran a temp of 100.5 and they would put me on IV antibiotics - my temps been normal and I hope my platelets etc have bounced back!
Good luck, let us know about your second opinion xx
Rt hemi.
5/12
Adenocarcinoma mod to poor diff. Poor diff accomp. by extensive necrosis
Mult. LN - pos.
Pt4a, pn2b
6/12 Ascites drain - Non malignant
12 rounds folfox completed Dec 2012
Ct scans looking good!
more of the same 1/9/13 folf without the ox.

skypup

Postby skypup » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:39 pm

I'm with all the others -- you have many more options than just folfox. Please get a second opinion. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be comfortable staying with an onc that wrote me off that quickly...

Kathryn in MN

Postby Kathryn in MN » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:28 pm

Skypup wrote:I'm with all the others -- you have many more options than just folfox. Please get a second opinion. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be comfortable staying with an onc that wrote me off that quickly...

AGREED 100%!
CRC AUG09 Age 47
Mets bones & nodes

pollo65
Facebook Username: pollo2

Postby pollo65 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:50 pm

110%---get a second opinion, don 't trust an onc that says he used the best chemo and doesn't want to try another.
pollo65
CC 1/6/09
r. hemi-colectomy 1/7/09
32Ln biopsied, 28 positive
met to aorta
chemo 12 rounds
done 9/09 3 scans clear
1/11 1 met to aorta
micro cluster to peritoneum
4/11 / 9/11 scan clear
4/12 scan clear
10/12 scan clear
Iri+avastin
chemo break

Alreadyhere

Postby Alreadyhere » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:28 pm

Thank you everyone for your responses. I refuse to let oncologist write him off so quickly and will definitely write a list of some of the other chemo cocktails you all have suggested, if he doesn't want to hear me out well move to another oncologist ASAP. The oncologist has strongly recommended radiation instead of chemo.. Is this a better solution in terms of permanently killing off these lymph nodes and then demanding to move to another chemo regimen or is it best to demand another chemo regimen without pursuing radiation? The dr is so adamant about not pursuing anymore chemo as aortic lymph nodes are still localized and wants radiation in terms of achieving a cure, he hopes. I know the odds are against us but we won't give up, just need to know what path to take.. Demanding more chemo first or radiation?
Resection/Folfox
Confirmed distant LN
Radiation
More distant LN
Folfiri + Avastin
More distant lymph nodes
Radiation

Kathryn in MN

Postby Kathryn in MN » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:01 pm

Please get a second opinion from the professionals. We are only patients and we don't know everything about his situation. See what another oncologist thinks - if they agree with his onc, or have a different approach. Then go with what you think is best based on their reasons for recommending the approach they do. If necessary, even get a third opinion.
CRC AUG09 Age 47
Mets bones & nodes

skypup

Postby skypup » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:51 pm

Agree, agree, agree with Kathryn. Only an oncologist who has looked at your records will be able to assess your options. And you really might want to think about getting that second opinion right away. If there is a chance for a cure, you don't want to miss it! And don't worry about hurting your doc's feelings -- they are used to having patients ask for second opinions.

Alreadyhere

Postby Alreadyhere » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:40 pm

Thank you all I've taken your advice and we are moving to a major medical center several hours away. Due to generic testing our local oncologist suggested they could possibly do biological immunotherapy? I'm not sure what that is? Has anyone here had this type of treatment.
Resection/Folfox
Confirmed distant LN
Radiation
More distant LN
Folfiri + Avastin
More distant lymph nodes
Radiation

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”