Post hipec recovery advice

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Busymamaof3

Post hipec recovery advice

Postby Busymamaof3 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:28 pm

Wednesday I had a 14hr Hipec - and he got every speck he could see, I know there is lots ahead of me still but how awesome to have that crap out of me after knowing it was there for 6 months.

Yesterday I almost went over the edge with the Ng tube - they finally pulled it out and stuck a new one down the other nostril. It hurt like crazy but today is a mere annoyance. And after they clamped it off for 5 hours I suddenly had awful nausea. Was glad it was there to help.

I was going to get out of ICU yesterday but spiked a fever. Now doc said I can go to a room but there isn't an open one! I am having lots of has pains but can't walk until I am up on the floor.

Any advice about this or any other part of recovery? I know it is a long road but I want to keep working toward getting home
Dx Stage IV CRC 8/12, 40yrs old
3 kids under 10
10/5/12 1 met to liver
folfox w/avastin 4 rds
Folfox alone 4 rds
HIPEC/CRS 2/13/13
PT3N1cM1
Back on Folfox 3/12 - 4/23/13
It is back 8/23/13
FOLFORI 9/13-1/14 cea up
Folfox 1/13
Hipec w crs #2 2/27/14

some

Re: Post hipec recovery advice

Postby some » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:23 pm

Thinking of you! Why can't you walk? No walking in ICU?

Mark had Tylenol IV for almost the whole time we were in the hospital (I think it maxes at 3-4K mg per day). That really helped with the fever. He did have one for a couple days early on, then not after that.

Take good care and be patient. I'm sorry about the NG tube snafu, but it is a good insurance policy and now you know after the clamping thing why it is good to have it. Wish it weren't the case.

That is one long surgery. Praying for your speedy recovery. In a few weeks, I hope all the bad parts will be but a memory and you can get to clean up chemo.

Rooting for you every day my friend.

Serena
DH (age 41) diag Stage IV mets to peritoneum - July 2012 (undetectable on CT PET or MRI)
Folfox 7 & Avastin started July 2012 CEA, CA 19-9 not indicators
HIPEC surgery 1/18/13
Folfiri/Erbitux - March 2013
Lots of prayers.

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:54 pm

Now doc said I can go to a room but there isn't an open one!

Hah, that happened to me too :shock:

They wouldn't let me walk around the ICU ward either, I had to wait till I got up to a room. And it was the FIRST thing I did. As soon as they got me standing in my room I told them to immediately take me for a quick walk. My slowest-weakest walk ever, but I made it to the end of the hall and back... For now, there's not much you can do aside from be patient and enjoy the fact that the nurses respond way faster in the ICU than they do on the main floor ;). I also enjoyed them "bathing" me in the bed since I sure as hell didn't feel like messing with the shower when I got up to my main room. You'll need to keep the NG tube in until stuff wakes back up. Was forever in my case, hope yours is faster. If they do change nostrils again on you, ask vehemently for a pediatric one next time. You're not eating anything, it should easily keep up with the gastric production, and it's a hell of a lot smaller and easier to tolerate. Lastly, remember that you may be in there for a long time, so while it's great to be doing things towards getting yourself out of there, expectations on a SPECIFIC duration of time in the hospital may be counter-productive if you exceed that number of days ;). I did that and when I exceeded it, it was quite the mental struggle to get things back on-track
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

raym

Postby raym » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:03 pm

Sorry you are stuck in ICU!

Torodol (IV NSAID) was a magic drug for me post HIPEC. I was in for 12 days, took awhile for the bowels to get moving and I was battling some nausea. Here's a link to what I typed up last year post surgery. http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33615
3/11 IIIC +/FOLFOX
4/12 HIPEC
6/12 Chmo/Rad
9/12 XELIRI+Avast/Zltra
9/13 Plvic Absc,stpd chemo
11/13 Tumr rmvd frm Lap Port incis
12/13 Xeloda
1/14 Cardiac Issue no Xeloda/5FU
3/14 Irinotecan
6/14 Stopped chemo
8/14 Clin Trial
9/14 Infectn - Stpd Trial

Sarah English

Postby Sarah English » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Well Busynamaof3 I am also recovering in hospital from HIPEC. Mine was on Monday 11th. The ng tube just 'fell out' on tues so they agreed to not insert a new one if I didn't have any nausea or vomiting which I haven't.
I went back to my own room on Thursday. I received additional chemo into the abdomen tues to fri, sp that was 4 goes.

I have managed some walks up and down the corridor but its tricky with all the tubes and bags etc etc; like walking behind a really slow toddler! I also had my hair washed this morning....bliss....but like you otherwise prefer a bed bath.

Advice I get here is to move as much as possible, even rolling to one side and back or lifting kegs up ad down. Plus sitting upright has been better for my breathing. My back has been really painful and that's been hard to deal with. I have a little breathing toy thing that when I inhale a yellow disc moves and I have to hold it in position for the count of 5-harder than it looks!

Let me know how you're getting on.
Love S xx
Ps I was given an anal stent which quite frankly was the worst bit, but its out now.
45 yr old mum of three
9/2012 dx stage IIIb CC with ovarian and peritoneal mets, 5/17 LN
3 colon res and full hyst
10/2012 4 cycles of Xelox
HIPEC Feb 2013
4/2013 4 cycles Xelox plus Avastin.
Maintenance Avastin Until May 2015
1/14 it's back.....

Yellowbird
Facebook Username: Laura Yarbrough Abbott

Postby Yellowbird » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:57 pm

I had that NG tube for what seemed like forever. Can't believe they removed and inserted a new one. I sure wouldn't be in any hurry to get it out. Its a pain but does serve a purpose.

Can't believe you are typing from ICU anyway! You are doing great! I was on so many pain meds I couldn't type straight. Hang in there. This process is slow. Be easy on yourself and don't push things.
Dx stage III July '10
Colon resection August '10
8 rounds Folfox
dx stage IV peritoneal carcinoma May 11
HIPEC Aug 11
Mop up folfiri with avastin
July 12, liver mets multiple metastases

Maia

Postby Maia » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:06 pm

Just wanted to send the best vibes to Busymomma and Sara!

novascotia

Postby novascotia » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:19 pm

I can't believe you are posting from ICU. My two days there after HIPEC were a blur with all the pain meds I had. Hopefully you will get the pain under control soon. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Carm
Dx June 05, Stage IV mets liver,lung age 45
Resected all-12 folfiri
NED Apr 06–Mar 09
Apr- 09- Dec 10 radiation,hysterectomy, 6 Folfox
May 11 PET.. Mass in pelvis
July 11 HIPEC
9 folfiri to Feb 12
MRI June 12 tumor on bladder/ureter, piriformis muscle

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”