Xilonix (MABp1) -on trial (update)

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
hopeforcancer

Re: Xilonix (MABp1) -on trial (update)

Postby hopeforcancer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:05 pm

Hi Kathryn,

I was wondering the same question, is weight loss a requirement? It seems like Xilonix is being used as a weight gaining drug and not as a colorectal cancer drug, but I could be wrong. Were you able to contact Dr. Jatoi?

HC

1YEAR

Postby 1YEAR » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:26 pm

Hope for cancer,

when researching xilinox online an article says , "designed to block cancer related chronic inflammation, thereby inhibiting tumor growth and metastasis- and the development of lethal complications from cancer such as cachexia" . That describes other benefits of the drug than weight gain?

BUT, The thing I dont like about the study is the other arm is Megace alone! an appetite stimulant.

So gaining weight may work with either drug but only one will have an effect on the cancer cells!

Correct me if I read this wrong

hopeforcancer

Postby hopeforcancer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:35 pm

Dear 1YEAR,

I agree with you, the Megace arm does make sense if this medicine was meant for the sole purpose of increasing weight in cancer patients. But, the quoted information makes it sound like a cancer drug as well. Either way, I hope it is successful and helps patients in need of alternatives.

lichens

Postby lichens » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:28 pm

For those interested, there is a recently development for the trial involving Xilonix (see link below). XBiotech, the company behind the drug recently did an unexpected interim study and halted the trial. Results from the interim data were positive. It showed a statistically significant survival benefit for those taking the drug (3x less likely to die compared to control). The company is working with FDA to amend to the trial to allow all refractory mCRC patients to enroll instead of the original requirement of patients with cachexia. They expect the trial to reopen for enrollment as early as the start of October.

In my opinion, this is definitely a very reasonable trial to consider since Xilonix's toxicity profile is almost non-existent and it is showing efficacy for mCRC. The only downside is the participant will have a 33% chance of receiving placebo.

Trial:
http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01767857

News Release:
http://www.xbiotech.com/about/news/xbiotech-halts-study-reports-positive-phase-three-results-with-antibody-therapy-for-cancer.htm

WifeOfMike
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/vbass123

Postby WifeOfMike » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:37 pm

Just got this in my email inbox..... Sending along in case anyone is looking (I have not looked into this, but there is chatter here on CT)
Best wishes everyone,
Vicki

The XilonixTM Colon cancer Immunotherapy Treatment Evaluation (XCITE) medical research study to evaluate XBiotech's True HumanTM monoclonal antibody treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer is currently enrolling patients. To learn more and see if you may qualify, click here.
http://xcitecolontrial.com/clinical-qua ... tionnaire/

The primary objective of the XCITE clinical trial in colon cancer is to assess the ability of XilonixTM (the “study drug”) to improve the overall survival in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer who are refractory to standard therapy. XilonixTM contains an antibody (a protein that binds to a substance related to the disease). By binding to this substance, XilonixTM may help to inhibit tumor growth and spread of the cancer by interrupting crucial signals that drive the formation of new blood vessels, especially blood vessels that supply oxygen and nutrients to cancerous tissue and facilitate spread of the cancer. In addition XilonixTM may help to correct fatigue, muscle loss and anxiety caused from tumor related inflammation.

XCITE is an investigational study. XilonixTM (the “study drug”) is not approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or commercially available in the United States. It is currently being used for research purposes only.

You may be eligible to participate in this study if you:

Are 18 years of age or older
Have metastatic colorectal cancer refractory to standard therapy
Do not have any other serious or uncontrolled medical conditions.
If enrolled, the length of time you will be asked to participate in this study depends on how your cancer responds to the study treatment.
Bad Ass WIFE
Hubs: CRC IVA,T3, N0, M1A
Resect/LN Mets 10/12
Folfox4/Avastin 11/12-5/13
Folfiri/Erbitux 6/13-10/13
Stivarga 12/13-4/14
Trial 4/14-/14
Trial 8/14-11/14
HOME Hospice 11/17/14
Guardian Angel 1/1/15
Cost of HOPE? PRICELESS

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”