How long do you keep port in

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Hapa

How long do you keep port in

Postby Hapa » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:53 am

My husband has had 4 chemo appointments. He still has a way to go including radiation. While reading other post I wondered how do you decide when to have port removed? My dh has had his port for about 1 1/2 months. It's still very sensitive-especially when seat belt hits it. He assumed that it would be right after treatment was complete. Just doesn't seem to be that simple......

Dh stage 3 rc
DH Stage 3 RC

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Re: How long do you keep port in

Postby dianetavegia » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:12 am

My port was removed a few weeks after my final chemo. I had failed to call the surgeon for an appointment. He did it in office and it was NOT fun.

I did have a recurrence 3 years later but the spot on my liver was surgically removed while still very tiny. I did NOT need follow up chemo.
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:18 am

I've had my port in five years and two months. Twice I thought about getting it out but had lung thingies going on that we were keeping an eye on and they advised me to keep it in. Turns out they were right as the thingies were cancer and I needed the port. Now I am NED since last July and am starting to think about getting it out. My next scan is in April and I'll probably make decision then if things go well.

My port doesn't bother me much anymore. Biggest problem I have is remembering to get it flushed!

Rob
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
Lung met 5/13/ said NO to more chemo
SBRT 8/13
2 lung mets 5/14, VATS 8/14, NED

Staci's team

Postby Staci's team » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:52 pm

Don't want to be a Debbie Downer here, but I want to make sure you're as informed as possible so as to properly set expectations -- and I'm hoping that it's just me misinterpreting both his current situation and the way you wrote the sentence below.

Hapa wrote:He still has a way to go including radiation.

I can only tell you the experience of my Stage IIIb rectal cancer survivor wife, so your husband's may or may not be different. Prior to surgery, she was on Xeloda as she was having radiation treaments....but it sounds like your husband may be on the IV of 5FU as the sensitizer for the radiation? If that's the case, I certainly understand why he's got the port now. That said, chemo will not likely be done once he's done with his pre-surgery chemoradiation. Staci had 8 cycles of chemo after her surgery, and that's actually when she got the port since the oxaliplatin part of the FOLFOX chemo cocktail can be hard on the veins for some. She did not get hers out until 6 months after she was done with chemo, and that was a lot sooner than her oncologist wanted it to come out, but he relented after a clean scan. All told, it was about a year that she had it in.

Hope this helps....and that I don't make anyone upset by relaying the experience with which I'm the most familiar.

Chris
Husband to Staci, diagnosed at age 32
Clinical dx Stage II/III rectal cancer, 7/2009
APR surgery 11/09 leading to...
Pathological dx Stage IIIB, ypT3N1M0, 11/2009
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/staciwills
Member of The Colon Club's Board of Directors

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:14 pm

Actually, Hapa, my onc was the one who told me to have mine removed immediately. I was Stage IIIB Colon (not rectal) and completed 12 tx of FOLFOX. I asked for a follow up visit 2 weeks after my final chemo so we could check my platelets before I started taking aspirin to prevent recurrence. My onc asked why I still had my port! I told him I'd failed to call the surgeon early enough to get squeezed in but that it was coming out a few days later. I held off on the aspirin until that was done.

Removal was not fun! I had local anesthesia in office and some scar tissue had built up. There was quite a bit of yanking, pulling and cutting before they got it out. I had to change bandages several times that afternoon and was sore for days. There's a divot in my chest where the port was. Insertion was a breeze with no real pain afterwards so I was quite surprised taking it out was just the opposite.

I'm so glad I had mine removed! I didn't have to THINK about cancer and go for flushings. One less thing to worry about AND several studies have shown that follow up chemo after lung / liver resections for a first, solitary met has not shown to increase cure/ survival rates so I've not needed that stupid port for all this time.

No caregiver or family/ friend can understand what it feels like to have that constant reminder of cancer sticking out of your chest ..... If your husband's onc is fine with it, get it out as quickly as possible. If he ever needs another one, it's a quick procedure.

Now this is all just MY opinion and my experience so take it or leave it but try to understand how your husband feels about the port. I remember getting some tax papers together the following year and I came across the paperwork they have given me with info on the port. It made my heart sink and my tummy turn just to see the purple picture. Garbage! Quickly as possible! Right in the can! :|
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

Hapa

Postby Hapa » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:27 pm

Staci's team-

My DH story is slightly different. He went in for takedown after several years of having "temp illeostomy". The surgeon discovered the tumor during that surgery. It didn't show up in ct scans & not during colonoscopy - SURPRISE! Therefore, he didnt have radiation prior to surgery. His treatment plan is 1/2 chemo now,then chemoradiation (r-1 Margin) then remainder of chemo. I do think that he should probably wait for a scan or two before removing his port. But, he is his own person & I know he would think of that as "waiting for the other shoe to drop". We'll definetly speak with oncologist towards the end of Chemo.

Yikes Diane- Your port removal sounds horrible! I'll be sure he goes to Surgery Center to remove. Altho, he is rather tuff- he watches his colonoscopies. Not me put me out- which reminds me I have to get colonoscopy soon. Caregivers forget about themselves.

Because we didn't know he had a tumor- we didn't get a pre surg CEA. I guess we'll have to use the CEA that was before his first chemo (1.7). I had to insist on that test. The oncologist didn't seem to think it was important. Funny, I don't care for oncologist but he really likes him. Glad I come here for alternate info!

Thanks for your input

dh stage 3 rc
DH Stage 3 RC

sbrainbolt

Postby sbrainbolt » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:38 pm

I am with Diane! Mine was outta there asap after final chemo! I had to wait 6 weeks because I was taking a 2 week "NO MO CHEMO" celebration trip to Hawaii and didn't want to risk anything getting infected etc.

I figure if anything crops up down the line I can always get another one. I don't miss it one bit!

Best of luck!
Susan
DX 1/12 50 yrs
LAR 2/12 CR 3A T1N1M0
chemo 3/12- 9/10/12 FOLFOX, issues with platelet counts every 4th treatment
CEA normal
CT 3/15 stable lung nods since 1/2012 NED.
SBO kinked small bowel 10/13 - LAPRO surgery to fix
yrly scans now
09/25/2017 - Graduated to the Survivorship Clinic at MDA! Cured!!!

Val*pal
Facebook Username: Valerie Barkus Kantner

Postby Val*pal » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:38 pm

It looks like everyone's case is a little different concerning how long a port is kept in. My husband's has been in since July 2011 and it doesn't bother him at all. I'm glad it's there since it makes those 90 day blood draws easier. Since his latest scan showed a recurrence of cancer, he will restart chemotherapy a week from today, so I'm glad he already has the port in place. It's one less medical task. I remember sitting and waiting when his port was originally placed and it made me feel better since he had suffered complications from his colon resection and the port made things a lot easier. Personally (and obviously I'm not the one with the port), I think it's a cool thing.
DH dx'ed May '11, age 62
Jul '11: resection Stage IV
10/11: 6 mo Folfox
8/12:thyr canc, surg/tx
2/13: peri mets
2/13: Firi/Avas
6/13: Ok
8/13: break
10/13: Lung, peri, mets
10/13: Firi/Erb
1/14: Erb Fail; spread
5/14: Tx stopped
6/20/14: At rest

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:11 pm

Hapa wrote:..... I do think that he should probably wait for a scan or two before removing his port.

AND he would be wise to listen to you, and hopefully his Doc wants to keep it for a while also ????

I just had mine removed yesterday after 2½ years and have a topic Here with the details. My Onc wanted to keep it in for 1 year after last chemo. Why take it out if there are situations which mean you might have to get another one in again ? ....makes no sense to me. I can understand IF the port is causing problems, you may want it out. Mine wasn't so I kept it longer.

I know there are bad stories about having port problems, and those are often the ones we read about here. My experience was excellent. I had a vascular surgeon install mine, instead of an interventional radiologist or general surgeon, kept it for the 2½ years with only monthly flushes and the same surgeon took it out. He told me these ports (Bard Power Port with Groshong catheter) are the ones used in children with cystic fibrosis who need ongoing lifelong infusions, and they last for years. I had mine in my right shoulder, since I am usually the driver (we drive on the right here) so never any seatbelt problems. No pain, no clots...NO problems.

When I had my first resection I can see how it may be different wanting the port out sooner. I had mine for a recurrence and I was not going to take any chances having it out and then getting another one. It makes complete sense to wait for a clear scan or two before making the decision...but as you've said he is his own person and it is his body !

Best wishes
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Ashlee H.

Postby Ashlee H. » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:13 pm

Six months after my liver resection and everything was looking good, ONC suggested I have the port removed. I came on here asking for advice. Many told me they waited until the third clean scan to have it removed. Unfortunately for me....my 3rd scan showed a reoccurrence. I doubt I will ever have it removed unless I'm NED for a few years. I like that my veins don't have to be poked for tests. My Cancer Center is only 10 mins. away, so getting it flushed once in awhile isn't a big deal.
I would love to be one of the lucky ones that had the option of having it removed. But, as long as it is working, it's staying.
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:24 pm

So true Ashlee...... I am still second guessing myself here because it caused no problems. Dumb I know...but still, cancer never plays by the rules :(

sending you Posi+++vibes my friend
ONWARD !
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

justin case

Postby justin case » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:58 pm

I had 3 chemo treatments,( Folfox) 6 weeks of chemo/ radiation, surgery, then 12 more treatments of 5FU. I had my port for 21 treatments, and my veins still got shot. Don't be in a hurry to get rid of the port. Mine was taken out, after there was no sign of PET/CT scan uptake, or nothing to be seen. Use it as long as it is benificial, and wait for your oncologist, to make that decision. JMHO
Regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

gracelinedesign

Postby gracelinedesign » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:39 pm

Had it placed in June of 2012... just finished second round of chemo (mop up) and cancer free. My oncologist just informed me that he wants me to keep in for another year. I had a real tough time in the beginning always feeling it. I hated it. Seat belts were a pain... but now I don't even know it's there. It does get better.
Stage IIa rectal carcinoma 05/22/12
5 weeks 5FU/Radiation
Resection / temp ileostomy 10/16/12 - zero LN
5 out of 8 5FU, 1 round of oxaliplatin
Ileostomy reversal 3/21/2013
11/15/13 lungs mets - 10 nodes - Stage IV
2 years of FOLFOX and FOLFIRI
3/2016 - Keytruda

Kekeg

Postby Kekeg » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:48 pm

I had my port over a year, my oncologist would have preferred leaving it fo 6 months after last scheduled chemo. I found synthetic sheepskin seatbelt covers helped - a bout $5 at WalMart. Also kept my little "cough" pillow from hospital in car if needed for padding.
KeKeG age 58
Colon cancer - adneocarcinoma dx 5/2011
Stage III b
T3N1Mx
Rt colectomy 5/2011
Chemotherapy 6/2011 -2/2012
5FU, leukovorin, irrintocan
PET clear 2012
Lung nodules on chest CT 8/2012, unchanged 12/2012
CT 4/9/2013 NED, nodules unchanged
CT 4/2014 NED, nodules unchanged
CT 4/2015 NED nodules both lungs, unchanged size
CT 5/2016 NED 5 year survivor of Stage IIIB!!

Deb in Texas

Postby Deb in Texas » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:48 pm

My plan is to get port removed when I get my reversal. My surgeon put it in and I'm glad to be "under" when it comes out. Hope my oncologist agrees. I don't regret having it put in because with a little lidocaine I don't feel the needle going in at all and I hated having blood taken from my arm.
Deb, f50
Dx 49 on 5-4-12 RCa
5.5 weeks of Xeloda+rad 5-12 to 7-12
Lovely month of normalcy in August!
LAR + temp ileo 9-5-12
Stage IIIa, T2,N1
FOLFOX6 10-16-12 x 12 rounds for 6 mos
Round 12 completed
Ileo reversal following chemo 2013

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”