How long do you keep port in

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
hannahw

Re: How long do you keep port in

Postby hannahw » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:22 am

I think ultimately, it's personal preference. Some people don't want to tempt fate by having the port removed. Others feel removing the port can be symbolic of turning the page and moving on. It's probably good to factor in the probability of future need just to avoid the hassle of having to have another one installed, but if you have it taken out and then find you need it, you can get another one (they usually put it on the other side).

Generally, after the port's been in a while, you shouldn't feel it and it shouldn't limit activity. It's very low risk for clotting or other problems when you keep it long terms so that doesn't have to be a worry. If you keep it and never use it, bonus.

You have to decide what works best for you. There's no right or wrong to it. Whatever you decide, it's safe, manageable and reversible.

Personally, if I had one, I'd keep it forever. I'm young, healthy, have great veins and always make sure to be well hydrated before any sort of needle stick yet I've still had major drama with blood draws, IVs and dye injection. It's no joking matter, but I have had moments where I wish I had port.
Daughter of Dad with Stage IV CC

mstults

Postby mstults » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:39 pm

Ashlee I agree. It wouldn't have it yanked out right away. I too have bad veins. I don't think I'd ever think about it if I wasn't asking treatments. I'm just they way. I can focus attention on other things.
Male Age 53. Dx CC with numerous liver mets 6/23/12. Colon res 6/24/12. Started folfox 7/24/12. Added avastin 8/27/12. CT 12/27/12 still showing shrink. Took 17 rounds of FOLFOX. Then 5-FU + Avastin. Switched to Irinotecan for 1 yr. CEA rose to >400. Switched to Vectibix 2/18/15. CEA decreasing. Scans show some growth in liver mets. Lung Mets stable to shrinking.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.stults2/about?ref=home_edit_profile&section=work

mysweetgrace

Postby mysweetgrace » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:54 am

My Dad just finished 12 rounds of Folfox and has a port. He is having surgery next week, and I thought it was strange that the nurses who did his pre-admission bloodwork didn't use the port to draw blood. They also were adamant about us finding out if it needed to be removed, but Dad's Onc nurse says he will probably want to leave it in. I'm not sure if Dad will be having mop-up chemo, but the port doesn't seem to bother him too much. He was thankful for it because his veins are not easy to get to!
Dad diagnosed 10/11 (56 y/o)
Colon Resection w/ Temp Colostomy 10/11
Stage 2C t4b N0 M0
Xeloda Feb '12 - April '12
New mass 4/12
Folfox 8/12 - 2/13
Resection & Reversal 3/19/13
Clean Scan 7/13 & 10/13
http://reachingoutwheninneed.blogspot.com/

rodey

Postby rodey » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:59 am

I've had mine since Jan 2011. It's kind of like my security blanket. I finished my first go round at chemo in Aug 2011, but left the port in and just had it flushed every 4-6 weeks. I started chemo again this past November, so I'm glad I already had my port. I'll probably get it removed if I'm NED 1 year post chemo. But it doesn't bother me. It's far better getting my blood work and random IVs through my port than starting a new line.
-Rose-
38 years old
Initial Stage IIIb diagnosis in Dec 2010 @ 34 y.o.
Now Stage IV with lung mets.
Miss December 2014
http://www.colonclub.com/the-2014-colondar/december-2014/

MarkS.

Postby MarkS. » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:28 am

I'm probably a bit of an anomoly here since my clinic typically has their patients install a port in their forearm. I had mine in for my first set of treatments back in 2010, sessions stopped in January 2011 and after about 7 months it was taken out. It never really bothered me that much, but when you are wearing short sleeve shirts and are thin skinned man does that thing look sorta funny.

Anyway, last year during the summer some tumors were found in my lungs and, unfortunately, had to get the port put back in. Argh. So now I have completed my last set of treatments and will get my scans back next week. Regardless of the results I still don't plan getting it out for awhile; just to be superstitious I suppose. I exercise quite a bit and when I'm in the weight room someone may ask "What's that lump in your arm?" I just say it's a cyst that needs to be removed :)
5/2010 DX'd Sigmoid CCr
6/2010 Colectomy. Sigmoid Colon
Stage 3C.T3 N2 M0; 6/14 Lymph Nodes
8/2010 FOLFOX: 12 Rounds
6/2011 NED
8/2012 Avastin/5FU Lung Mets
3/2013 CT/PET Normal
6/2013 Xeloda/Avastin Maintenance
2/2014, 9/2014 CT/PET Clear
4/2016 17mm Lung Met
5/2016 CyberKnife
6/2016 85% Tumor Reduction

KarMel
Facebook Username: Karin Gray

Postby KarMel » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:45 pm

My sister thinks having hers out would tempt fate, so she won't haves hers out, ever. But she is a verrrry hard stick.

If I ever would be eligible, I think I would get it out, tho it doesn't bother me at al. I really didnt have any problem with it being placed or used.
Stage IV, April 2009.
Treatments...multiple .
Currently none
"It is well, with my soul"

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”