GREAT NEWS ! you probably didn't know....

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
rehab1

GREAT NEWS ! you probably didn't know....

Postby rehab1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:13 am

The other day someone who never had cancer and knows simply nothing about it asked me wife .... " what kind of cancer does your husband have ? " ... my wife told this person " he has colon cancer " ...."oh," this person says, " that's nothing, because I heard this was the easiest cancer to beat as well as its nothing to have to worry about ".....so lets hear it all CC's !! lets get a hip hip hooray to that !! ... yea right ... why do people say such things ....
pete
2011 ~ stage 3a / surgery and then xeloda 6 months
2014 ~ ned

mlibertone
Facebook Username: Michelle Libertone-Cook

Re: GREAT NEWS ! you probably didn't know....

Postby mlibertone » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:25 am

Bc they have no real clue, obviously! Sorry that some people are idiots it's either that or it's their misguided way of thinking they are giving support and hope? I could never imagine saying such a thing to anyone who had cancer or whose loved one had cancer, not even before my dads diagnosis. Crazy.
Michelle, Daughter of Mark
Dad DX: 7/25/11 Kras mutant
Stage IV RC mets to liver
10 rounds of Xelox 8/11-5/12
Xeliri 6/12/12 added Avastin
3/13 radiation, hip met
4/12/13-hospice
My beautiful angel 9/16/13 @ 3:23pm
I love you daddy! I'll see you again!

MrPleistocene
Facebook Username: vinson.jim

Postby MrPleistocene » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:47 am

It is frustrating, but they were probably trying to make her feel better.
DX 11/09 RC Stage IIIb
12/09 Chemorad w/Folfox
Surgery 4/10 LAR, Removed Seminal Vesicles
Clean Margins, T3N2M0, 4/19 Nodes
FOLFOX 6/10-11/10
6/10, 10/10, 1/11 Clean Scans, Normal CEA
12/10 Bi-Nephrostomy
12/10-2/11 HBOT
2/11 Reversal

Jimswife

Postby Jimswife » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:08 am

Yea people say the stupidest thing however it is reported to be one if the most curable ones when caught the earliest stages (stage 1) but even in here and in real life there people who were stage 1 that are now at stage 4 so of course nothing is ever definate , my husband was same diagnosis as you in oct 11 , when people say is he ok now ? I say yes .... He's all clear and cancer free at the moment , I and he liked to think of himself as not having cancer anymore and until scans prove otherwise we use the past tense .., I know a few people say "have" cancer when there like a couple of years out ? I don't understand that ? Why welcome it ? ned / cancer free / remission until proven otherwise I say , good luck for the future
Victoria , Wife to Jim age 43 dx oct 2011
Stage 3 cc with 2 out of 21 positive lymph nodes
Folfox starts nov 11-may 12
All scans and bloods since surgery confirm no evidence of disease
Hoping to stay ned forever .... Fingers crossed !!!!!!!

Hapa

Postby Hapa » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:30 am

People have said the oddest things to me since dh diagnosis. One day home from the hospital, a friend stopped by uninvited. I met him at the door & told him dh wasn't up to visitors. Then he tells me that his mom went in for cc surgery & died 3 months later (she was 89). He didn't understand why that upset me,really?

Dh stage 3 rc
DH Stage 3 RC

sbrainbolt

Postby sbrainbolt » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:06 am

I don't think that people mean to be insensitive or hurtful when they say completely ignorant things. They just don't think before they speak and have no first hand knowledge of cancer or that ANY type of cancer is NO FUN!

My favorite is seeing people whom I haven't seen since before my dx that know I was diagnosed with cancer. 9 times out of 10 I get "OH MY GOD, you look SO GOOD!" Like they expected me to look half dead or something and are suprised because I don't. This gets on my nerves because when going through chemo I didn't look sick but I felt like total crap!

Oh Well, like I said. They have no clue! :shock:
DX 1/12 50 yrs
LAR 2/12 CR 3A T1N1M0
chemo 3/12- 9/10/12 FOLFOX, issues with platelet counts every 4th treatment
CEA normal
CT 3/15 stable lung nods since 1/2012 NED.
SBO kinked small bowel 10/13 - LAPRO surgery to fix
yrly scans now
09/25/2017 - Graduated to the Survivorship Clinic at MDA! Cured!!!

KarMel
Facebook Username: Karin Gray

Postby KarMel » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:57 am

sbrainbolt wrote:
My favorite is seeing people whom I haven't seen since before my dx that know I was diagnosed with cancer. 9 times out of 10 I get "OH MY GOD, you look SO GOOD!" Like they expected me to look half dead or something and are suprised because I don't. This gets on my nerves because when going through chemo I didn't look sick but I felt like total shock:

I get aggravated about this one, too.

Today, I told folks at the office that mt CT scan has shown progression and there are no more chemo options except experimental. I hear them say appropriate words of sympathy, but then one pipes up..."I just can't believe it cause you look so good.". :evil: I don't know why people think that's a comfort. It is not.
Stage IV, April 2009.
Treatments...multiple .
Currently none
"It is well, with my soul"

Nellie

Postby Nellie » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:58 am

Someone, who knew of my dx said to me, "omg, look how skinny you are, I wish I could lose weight like that". - yeah sweetie, stage 4 cancer will do that to you - I think if I had my choice I'd prefer losing it at weight watchers. Dumb ar*e :lol:
Nellie
Rt hemi.
5/12
Adenocarcinoma mod to poor diff. Poor diff accomp. by extensive necrosis
Mult. LN - pos.
Pt4a, pn2b
6/12 Ascites drain - Non malignant
12 rounds folfox completed Dec 2012
Ct scans looking good!
more of the same 1/9/13 folf without the ox.

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:27 pm

Actually my colon surgeon said that to me! He said 'If you've GOT to have cancer, this is the best kind to have as long as it's caught early'.

I love the guy dearly, but I think that's a silly remark.
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:44 pm

i am with Dianne in that my colorectal surgeon told me that it was the best cancer to have if you were going to have a cancer.
Unfortunately I don't fall into the dx'd early catagorey so it may be a longer process.

I told my sister about my cancer, and she immediately told me about the 3 people she knows that all died from it (she works at a nursing home for the elderly and they were all elderly patients) but I did not appreciate it. I talked to her husband and he told me that I was young so my immune system could fight it off easy :D How I wish it was like a common cold.

The point for me is that I don't think people are deliberately insensitive but having cancer has really shown me who I want to be around, and he I just can't be bothered wasting my time and energy with. Sure, I think we have all had people that we expected to react in a supporting manner, and have not but I have had a few acquaintances that since dx have really gone out of their way to show more friendship to my wife & I than some of our best friends. I guess it can bring out the worst and the best in humanity.

I look at some on the board, and I have nowhere near the hassles that they do, nowhere near the problems and granted, I have a lot to go through from here but the only thing I can honestly control in this entire thing is how I choose to react to cancer and the attitude I choose to have whilst facing and living with it.

Just my opinion for what is worth.
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (39 Year old male at dx)
pT3N0M1 (wish that was M0)
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
FOLOFX April 2013 - Sep 2013
Clear Scan 03 Dec 2013 - August 2020
Port Out 26 March 2015

Guinevere

Postby Guinevere » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:27 am

rehab1 wrote:The other day someone who never had cancer and knows simply nothing about it asked me wife .... " what kind of cancer does your husband have ? " ... my wife told this person " he has colon cancer " ...."oh," this person says, " that's nothing, because I heard this was the easiest cancer to beat as well as its nothing to have to worry about ".....so lets hear it all CC's !! lets get a hip hip hooray to that !! ... yea right ... why do people say such things ....
pete

Whew! That's a load off my mind!! Here I thought I was in a life or death struggle with possible permanent problems from the side effects of chemo. Have your wife tell that person that they've great eased our minds!
What a maroon... :roll:
Hrt atk - Feb 11
CRC4 DX - Apr 11
APR liver rsct, procto - Jul 11
Folfox/Avastin - Sep 11
Xeliri - Nov 11
Iritux - Jun 12
Break - Jan - Mar 13
Iritux - Mar 13
Stivarga - Aug 13
Folfiri - Oct 13
Exhausted treatment options - May 14

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:08 pm

If you ask me, the award for "most treatable cancer" is probably testicular cancer. Surgery is easy/effective, and complete responses to chemo even in later stages are the norm, not the exception. Some types of Lymphoma are also exceptionally treatable. CRC is really only "good" when it's Stage 0-IIa . The whole IF it's caught early merely because so much of the organ is removed that physical excision of all cancerous cells is likely in that early stage.

Any way you slice it though, flippant, uninformed remarks are never a good idea. Some folks just don't think before they open their lips.
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

Jimswife

Postby Jimswife » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:20 pm

Lance Armstrongs was testicular and had spread to stomach lungs and brain if I remember rightly from reading his book , he's been cancer free since surgery / chemo 16 yrs ago , why is it some cancers are easily cured even when spread and others aren't ? I think any cancer at any stage is scary stuff .
Victoria , Wife to Jim age 43 dx oct 2011
Stage 3 cc with 2 out of 21 positive lymph nodes
Folfox starts nov 11-may 12
All scans and bloods since surgery confirm no evidence of disease
Hoping to stay ned forever .... Fingers crossed !!!!!!!

ranger
Facebook Username: cancerIsSOfunny

Postby ranger » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:53 pm

When I told my tree guy, Ray, Friend of the Trees, he said he would call his mom and his sister to let them know there are surgeries now that help people survive cc with a met to the liver, because his dad died many years ago of the same thing. He said my survival makes him very happy. His joy that I've lived 4 years since dx made me happy.

here's what's not encouraging: (cartoon of 'my friend died of the same thing')
http://cancerissofunny.blogspot.com/201 ... -that.html
colon resection 3/09
liver resection and takedown 8/09
11 rounds of folfax, avastin. plus AM655 or placebo, completed jan 2010
hernia repair 3/11
http://cancerissofunny.blogspot.com/
https://m.facebook.com/Cancer-is-SO-fun ... 100303900/
@cancerissofunny
age 70, never thought I'd make it. happy.
NED a long time.
Essential Thrombocytosis, monitoring
still here.

adina91
Facebook Username: Adina Jewett

Postby adina91 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:58 pm

Wow, I cannot tell you how many times I have heard this from doctors, average laypeople, medical professionals.....Ugh!
Adina 42 yo, mom of 2 sons (5,9)
11/2009 - DX-2B CC-Sigmoid resect/colostomy
Lynch Synd MSH2
1/2010 - FLOX chemo
5/2010 - Subtotal colectomy/hyster/ileostomy
Stage 3A - 1/42 LN +
8/2010 - Chemo done
10/18/2010 - ileostomy takedown
2010 - 2015 - NED
5/1/15 - "suspicious" area in liver on CT
5/14/15 - follow up PET says no metastatic disease
6/19/15 - MRI - NED!