Dad's cancer has spread to his liver...

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
polluxx

Dad's cancer has spread to his liver...

Postby polluxx » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:58 pm

Dad said that they could see the tumors on his liver during his CAT scan.

We are still waiting for the results of his biopsy to find out what kind of cancer it is, and what kind of chemo he will need. There was a problem with the samples they took, and the tests may need to be repeated before we can get any more information.

He continues to be in good spirits, and is counting his blessings.
Stage 3c
2/2020 Right colon hemicolectomy (invasive adenocarcinoma with micropillary features)
Moderately differentiated
Tumor size: 4.4 in greatest dimension Metastatic Carcinoma in 12 out of 28 lymph nodes
Extranodal extension identified
Margins negative

3/2020 Began 12 rounds of FolFox
9/2020 Finished FolFox
12/2020 PET Scan-NED
1-2021 ctDNA Test negative
5-2021 ctDNA Test negative
7-2021 ctDNA Test negative
9-2021 PET/CT Scan-NED

PammySue_51

Re: Dad's cancer has spread to his liver...

Postby PammySue_51 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:05 pm

Thank God your dad is in good spirits. It's amazine what we can do in spite of ourselves. You will find lots of folks (myself included who have liver mets.) Even though we're on chemo we still are able to maintain some sense of normality (whatever that is when you have cancer) in our lives. You have come to the right place for support.
Pam

I Peter 5:10-11

Diagnosed 9/06 Stage IV, 19 mo. chemo, now out of chemo options except for possible clinical trials. 9/3/08 First of two Sir-Spheres procedures.

*Faith is the wind that blows the sail of our ship to the desired destination."

justsing

Postby justsing » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:15 pm

Well, the journey just got a little more complicated, but it's always better to deal with the enemy in front of you than waiting for it to jump out from behind the next tree! So the next few days will be about smoking out all the bandits, lining them all up and figuring out the best way to wipe them out!

I wish you grace and clarity as you sift through your options. Just remember that you don't have to make any sudden moves.

viewtopic.php?t=3952
justsing, 46
Stage IV
colon resection 12/07
Liver resection 04/08
Phase I vaccine trial
liver, lung LN mets
tried Oxi, Iri and Avastin
now trying new chemo combos then sir spheres
College prof in theatre & voice
2 girls 18 & 14, one son 10

cptmac
Facebook Username: Dorothy McGrath

Postby cptmac » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:48 am

I am sorry to hear it might be in his liver. This can be devastating news to hear. I pray that it is nothing. If it is something, know that there are many Stage IV survivors. Many on this board here.

I will keep you in my heart and prayers...
cptmac
As long as you're alive, there is hope.
dx 7/04 stage IV
colon resection 8/04
liver resection 9/04 with HAI pump installed
Stage II trial w irinotecan as systemic and FUDR for direct chemo to liver via HAI pump
Cured since 9/04

bradyr

Postby bradyr » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:09 pm

yes, if there are inded tumors in his liver, this will almost certainly mean a stage IV diagnosis. honestly, that will make this much harder and the treatmetn is more difficult.

But remember, stage IV is by no means an immediate death sentence. this is definitly searious, but every individal diagnosis is unquie and depending upon how small the tumors are, how agreesively the doctors are willing to treat this and how well your father responses to the chemo and other treatments this could mean many years.

even if you do look at the survial stats, which I hope you don't do until you ready to handle it - always someone has to be the in the survial side of those stats.
bradyr
DX 2/07 mets liver/bone/brain/spleen
Foxfox/avastin 3-6/07
bone mets 5 times
xedada 9-7/07
Folfri 1-6/07
GammaKnife brain lesion 1/08
SIRT Spheres rlobe 7/08 llobe 8/08
cyberknife brain 10/08
Brain surgery 1/09
Vebctibix 1-4/09

polluxx

Postby polluxx » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:28 pm

Thanks for the support, everyone.

I do know that it is a grave situation, but we are a religious family, so that brings us a lot of peace no matter what happens.

He is still in the hospital across town waiting to have his colonoscopy repeated. It is fortunate that we live in Houston, so we have the opportunity for excellent care.

I'd really appreciate it if you could tell me a list of things that family members can do to be more helpful.

What do you think are the most important dos and do nots?
Stage 3c
2/2020 Right colon hemicolectomy (invasive adenocarcinoma with micropillary features)
Moderately differentiated
Tumor size: 4.4 in greatest dimension Metastatic Carcinoma in 12 out of 28 lymph nodes
Extranodal extension identified
Margins negative

3/2020 Began 12 rounds of FolFox
9/2020 Finished FolFox
12/2020 PET Scan-NED
1-2021 ctDNA Test negative
5-2021 ctDNA Test negative
7-2021 ctDNA Test negative
9-2021 PET/CT Scan-NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”