Pinch me! - UPDATE 2-13-13

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Mariaksure

Re: Pinch me! - UPDATE 2-12-13

Postby Mariaksure » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:58 am

Ashlee, I was reading a bit this thread, but not sure if the metformin could help my bother, the oncologist told us a few weeks ago, he should reduce glucose, How did u do it? Thanks.
Caregiver Brother 60 yrs Stage IIIc
Nov-12 recurrence diagnosed colorectal w/mets.
Xeloda since Nov-12
Waiting for NED

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:19 am

Mariaksure wrote:Ashlee, I was reading a bit this thread, but not sure if the metformin could help my bother, the oncologist told us a few weeks ago, he should reduce glucose, How did u do it? Thanks.

How high was his glucose, if you are willing to say? What did the oncologist want to reduce it to? Does your brother has diabetes? Did the doctor make any suggestions about how to reduce it? As a diabetes educator, I am very curious about this approach, unless your brother has out of control diabetes?

Thanks!

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

Ashlee H.

Postby Ashlee H. » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:00 am

Mariaksure wrote:Ashlee, I was reading a bit this thread, but not sure if the metformin could help my bother, the oncologist told us a few weeks ago, he should reduce glucose, How did u do it? Thanks.

It doesn't appear that the Metformin has helped me since my cancer markers are still increasing.
I'm surprised - if the ONC said your brother should reduce glucose ONC should have given him medical advise how to do it. If not, maybe your brother will want to see another doctor. I know often if I have another medical condition, my ONC will refer me back to my GP or someone who specializes in something. In the beginning, I had very dry eyes from chemo, so had to go to an eye doctor.
My glucose had been normal prior to taking Metformin and only went down a few points with taking the Metformin this past month - everything is in the normal range. I don't know anything about Diabetes and how to reduce glucose. You said you live in Florida. I'm sure you will be able to locate a doctor who specializes in Diabetes.
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”