any advice for obtaining life insurance

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
suzannchili

any advice for obtaining life insurance

Postby suzannchili » Fri May 05, 2006 2:21 pm

Since my cc diagnosis over 5 and a half years ago at age 29, I have applied and been denied for life insurance over and over because of my cancer diagnosis. I have been a healthy (probably more so than many of the people the companies enroll) woman with no recurrence and have since married and had a baby. Does anyone have any idea ahow many years before insurance companies will seriously consider survivors for life insurance?

I'm trying to do the right thing for my family like other responsible adults without a jaded medical past. The same people who drive cars, ride on planes, and walk across streeets.

or should I just forget it?

maggie

Postby maggie » Mon May 08, 2006 12:28 pm

Hey, have your tried through State Farm? I work for a state farm agent in Ohio and I too and a colon cancer survivor (stage I, 51/2 years ago, I was 21) and they wrote me before my five years was up (4 years) and they table rated me (it was super expensive) but they were going to take that table rating down after 5 years. Last year I got another policy out as well. It has cost me more than a normal person, but they still took me. I imagine it depends on the stage you had too. If you haven't checked with State Farm, I would!
Hope that helps!
Maggie

suzannchili

Postby suzannchili » Mon May 08, 2006 1:00 pm

Thanks, Maggie. I'll give it a shot. Stay well!

Erika

life insurance

Postby Erika » Mon May 08, 2006 1:12 pm

Hi Suzanne,

I have just been dealing with the issue of life insurance myself. You've probably done some poking around on the internet about it. I'm curious if you've come away with similar impressions as I have. I figured life insurance was out-of-the-question for me, but started considering it when my financial advisors suggested it for my husband and I. But after discussing some details of my cancer history (stage IV) with them, they suggested I wait until I have been at least 5 years NED (this October).

Once you have been denied life insurance by one company, any other company is likely to deny you- just because you've been denied (perhaps this is what you've been up against).
That is not to say that life insurance is out of the question for cancer survivors. You are more likely to receive coverage if you were diagnosed at an early stage, have been cancer-free for a few years (5 or so), and are in good health otherwise. But, when applying, you should consider applying to 3 or more companies at once to get a range of quotes. I have no idea what cancer survivors typically pay. I would imagine that there is a company out there willing to cover you, but you'll likely pay a high premium. Then it becomes a question of what you are willing to pay (or what it is worth to you for piece of mind, etc) and if your premium will drop as time goes on and you are less likely to have a recurrence. The Lance Armstrong Foundation website had some advice, but if you are like me and were diagnosed with advanced disease, I still find it hard to know what the best thing is to do.

I'd love to know what you or anyone else out there has experienced. I guess I'll be revisiting this issue in a few months, but I'm not even sure I want to apply for life insurance then. I suppose it is a no-brainer for folks in relatively good health who have or are planning to have children, own a home, etc. Really it should be up to my husband since he is the one who has to deal with any financial repercussions in the event of my death.

Erika

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”