Radiation--Supportive Spouse Advice

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
secriswell

Radiation--Supportive Spouse Advice

Postby secriswell » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:55 pm

My wife is getting a daily course of radiation on her shoulder for the next couple of weeks to shrink some lymph nodes that have been pressing on her ulnar nerve (it's not SBRT, which she's had before--I think it's external beam therapy covering a wider area around her brachial plexus). I want to be with her as she needs me, but I don't know what to expect and am trying to figure out if I need to take two weeks off of work. Does anyone who has had this know what we should expect? Will she be able to drive after the treatment? The doctor said there should be no real side effects other than possibly a sore throat (though the nodes are lateral) and maybe skin irritation. Does that seem right? My first impulse is to drop everything and be by her side every second, but the SBRT was so easy for her, in hind sight, she didn't really need me. And after a week and a half stint (with a stent) in the hospital where I tried to be with her as much as possible, i'm a little concerned about my job.
Any insight would be appreciated.
S.
(spouse)
Stage III CC dx Jan 09
hemicolectomy Feb 09
Folfox 2009
Folfiri Avastin 6/11
Rad. 10/11
Maintenace Xeliri with Avastin 5/12
Break 6/12-4/13
Multiple mets early 2013
Xeloda and Erbitux failed 6/13
Erbitux and Ininitican started 7/13

weisssoccermom

Re: Radiation--Supportive Spouse Advice

Postby weisssoccermom » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:00 pm

I had a friend whose spouse had radiation on his shoulder for a suspicious lymph node (primary was bladder cancer) and he breezed through the whole procedure. I would suspect that she might have some sore throat issues but other than that...nothing should be problematic. Remember, she probably just wants to be 'normal' so, my advice would be that, unless she has specifically asked you to drop everything....go to work as normal.

Have her get some dye free & most importantly, alcohol free aloe vera gel. Apply it liberally to the radiated area AFTER radiation treatments and make sure to have her wash it off before she goes. I would also suggest using a gylcerin based soap on the area that is being radiated. Don't use normal soaps as they tend (no matter what they say) to dry out the skin and radiation is already good at doing that! She can use all sorts of different lotions, etc on the area to avoid any further problems....just make sure that they are as alcohol free as possible. (Alcohol also dries out the skin....adding it to radiation treatments is a double whammy....avoid as much as possible.)

Let us know what else we can do for you.
Jaynee
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

raym

Postby raym » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:16 pm

I didn't have radiation to that area, but in the pelvic area. I was able to drive and work during the 30 treatments. You might want to drive her for the first time, just for moral support and in case of any strange side effects (stress, etc).
3/11 IIIC +/FOLFOX
4/12 HIPEC
6/12 Chmo/Rad
9/12 XELIRI+Avast/Zltra
9/13 Plvic Absc,stpd chemo
11/13 Tumr rmvd frm Lap Port incis
12/13 Xeloda
1/14 Cardiac Issue no Xeloda/5FU
3/14 Irinotecan
6/14 Stopped chemo
8/14 Clin Trial
9/14 Infectn - Stpd Trial

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:21 pm

I've had SBRT (lungs) and radiation (pelvic) and was fine to drive myself both times. Good suggestion by others to go with her the first time just to be safe and give support.

Rob
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
Lung met 5/13/ said NO to more chemo
SBRT 8/13
2 lung mets 5/14, VATS 8/14, NED

secriswell

Postby secriswell » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:55 am

Thanks all. This is very helpful. We'll make sure to get some good lotion and soap after my wife's set-up appointment tomorrow.
S.
(spouse)
Stage III CC dx Jan 09
hemicolectomy Feb 09
Folfox 2009
Folfiri Avastin 6/11
Rad. 10/11
Maintenace Xeliri with Avastin 5/12
Break 6/12-4/13
Multiple mets early 2013
Xeloda and Erbitux failed 6/13
Erbitux and Ininitican started 7/13