HELP!!! Questions!!!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
tns313

HELP!!! Questions!!!

Postby tns313 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:36 am

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect with clinical trials? I was diagnosed 5/2012 with stage 3c colon cancer. I had a colon resection and was put on folfox and oxciliplatin. With only three treatments left I was told my cae levels were very high and I needed to have a CT/PET scan done. Come to find out I had three tumors one on my aorta and two in my pelvis. I had another surgery 12/2012 to have those removed and then some. Come to find out they took a total of eleven lymph nodes and nine of them came back positive. I met with my oncologist and he stated due to the total number of lymph nodes that were positive I am now stage IV and is now wanting to send me to Vanderbilt to start clinical trials. I don't know what to expect and I am a little nervous. Pleas help!!! Thanks. :D

shmurciakova

Re: HELP!!! Questions!!!

Postby shmurciakova » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:46 pm

Well, I just wanted to say welcome and I am sorry that you have to be here. I don't have any experience with clinical trials or the mets in the areas that you have them, but I am sure more knowledgeable people will chime in, especially later on this evening after work hours. The only thing I was wondering if is when you go to Vanderbilt you could meet with an oncologist and ask what other options are available to you. I would want to explore all the possibilities and various treatments. Good luck with everything and I hope you get more answers later on today.
I am glad you were operable, that is promising I think.
-Susan H.
diagnosed at 31 in 2002, Stage IV
Sigmoid colectomy - 6 mos 5-FU/Leukovorin
liver resection - 6 rounds XELIRI (xeloda/irinotecan)
lung wedge resection Oct. 2004 - no chemo
NED!!

Ashlee H.

Postby Ashlee H. » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:39 pm

I've only been on one clinic trial. It was a bit time consuming and I had to give a lot more blood than normal. Lots of paperwork to sign. They wanted samples of my tumor. But, I was watched very closely. Anything my insurance wouldn't pay for, it was picked up by the trial study people. You always have the option to stop the test whenever you want. I pulled out after 6 weeks due to side effects. The nurse I had during that time still follows up with me. I was lucky that I was able to do everything at my cancer center and did not have to travel somewhere else. Vandy has an excellent reputation. I think in that area they also have another place - Sarah Cannon Center? - that is also doing a lot of clinical trials.
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

karin
Facebook Username: Karin Tobin Fagner

Postby karin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:44 pm

Here's the same comment I made to another on this board tonight:
Maybe you should self refer to a HIPEC surgeon. I did that back when for my friend and it worked out well.

Welcome to the board, wish you didn't have to be here, wish there was no cancer.
Karin
Karin
BFF dx'd June09 w CRC & peritoneal mucinous carcinomatosis @ age 40
She beat cancer for 20 months!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”