What Keeps You Fighting?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Mona6518

Postby Mona6518 » Sat May 27, 2006 9:48 am

Hi Rochelle,
I feel like a wimp here posting on how to get through each day (I'm only Stage II).
But here's a few things (for what they are worth)...

I decided that the Almighty felt I needed to have this experience because I just might need to share my experience with others someday in the future and help them through it - I felt this same way about getting divorced from my first husband and it turned out to be true. It seems I'm always the trailblazer amongst my friends :? Hopefully, in this case, I'm here to encourage them to be proactive and not shepard them through a similar experience.

Being a former Psychology major, I also felt strongly that I needed to talk my issues out with a trained professional (not just friends and family). So I've been seeing a Therapist for the last month. We talk about my treatments, how I feel about these chemicals coursing through my body, how I felt when I was diagnosed, how I feel/think/envision the future, etc.
Sometimes I laugh though my sessions, sometimes I cry during them... but I always feel better and like I'm being more proactive about my life.

My husband keeps me going. He's a complete smarta** and witty as all heck.... I've spent the last 6 years training him to my liking and I'm not about to give up the fight (when there's still some training left that he needs) :lol: :shock: He also described me once as reminding him of a llittle terrier going after something - aka determined and stubborn anything under the sun. And knowing that he sees me that way, helps me BE that way about fighting this.

And, since my family has a weird sense of humor, I tell myself that I'm way too much of a b*tch, cranky woman, hornery, etc to give up the fight anytime soon.

Monkey

Rochelle

Overcoming the one year hurdle

Postby Rochelle » Sat May 27, 2006 10:56 am

Hi Mona
Thank you for your valuable insight. After overcoming the "one year hurdle" of this disease, I know now that emotional weakness isnt one of my daily traits and I am able slowly accept what can't be changed at this time. :) !

This disease can make an individual a better person from many aspects:
1. Being able to slow down and realize that health and family are more important than material possessions.
2. Finding out which friends are "superficial" and ones which are genuinely concerned.
3. Giving careful thought and consideration to how you will spend your remaining time on earth-be it 5 years or 25.

Tenacity, persistence and a sense of humor are characteristics which I am continually trying to incorporate into my life because I do think they are of value in coping this this disease.

Thanks again for your input I wish you continued success

Rochelle :)

Eileen

Postby Eileen » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:36 pm

Hi Rochelle,

I am stage lllb - will be 2 years this coming Thanksgiving. I started on Paxil when I started chemo.

I still find myself very emotional at times but the Paxil does seem to help.

I am a nurse and probably do too much reading but I came across this study:

Antidepressants May Decrease the Incidence of Colorectal Cancer (3/29/2006)

"Canadian researchers have reported that the use of serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) such as Zoloft, Lexopro, Paxil, Prozac and Celexa is associated with a 30% reduction in colorectal cancer incidence."

http://professional.cancerconsultants.c ... x?id=36628

Looking back, I had plenty of symptoms. I did not put it together.

I am new to the Colon Club. The support I have so far received has been wonderful. It really helps me to hear from others. It is very encouraging.... something I have needed. I know I cannot do this cancer thing alone. Please know that you are not alone either.
Love and Prayers,
Eileen
Stage IIIB

Rochelle

Welcome

Postby Rochelle » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:03 pm

Hi Eileen
Welcome to the Colon Club. What an amazing study; thank you so much for posting the link!

I hope all is well with your treatments; keep me posted regarding your journey and I'll do the same.

Rochelle :P

christy217

Postby christy217 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:36 am

Rochelle,

I have paxil, it doesn't help much, but I am going to ask for something different. I am also going to seek therapy, I think I need to speak with someone who isn't biased, or by me during this time of need.

Writing helps me, I keep two blogs, one for me to vent, and one that I write to my partner, incase something does happen to me.

All your feelings are completely normal. Everyone experiences them, so don't feel alone, you've done great to be fighting for so long, period! I am only into this about 6 months, and I am ready to throw in the towel. I am sick of it.

You're stronger than you think you are, I put all cancer patients on a pedistal, except myself for some reason, but you've got the go-go in you and you're more aware of yourself than you know, I can tell that from your postings.

My partner keeps me going, she's wonderful and I love her more than life itself, however, I get depressed often too.

Just know you're not alone in this, we're here with you :wink:
My Blog:
http://www.cdcafe.blogspot.com

Image Drew Wonka-our furbaby

mtsko

Postby mtsko » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:36 am

Hi Rochelle..and anyone else needing help getting through the day.
I am a 39yr old Xtage IV CC survivor and was dx at age 37 in March '04.
What a wild crazy trip this has been. lots of ups and lots of downs. What keeps me going is finding humor in anything and everything. My husband makes sure I laugh every singly day even its stupid silly things.. But it helps. also, I found something wonderful on the internet and I printed it out and read it often. I hope it helps you, it definitely helped me. I was depressed for over 20 years. When this cancer thing hit, and with my husband making me laugh (you just gottta!), it seems my depression went away. I stopped taking antidepressants. Even today, I still have "down days", but I work hard on my attitude and it totally helps. I hope this helps you or anyone else:

ATTITUDE
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than the past, then education, then money, than circumstances, than failures and successes, than what other people think say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home.
The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past.. we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you. we are in charge of our attitudes."
...anonymous
find the humor!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”