C-Section versus Resection?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Sherri56

C-Section versus Resection?

Postby Sherri56 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:53 am

So both of my kids were c-sections thus I'm thinking the resection will be a piece of cake because there will not be a newborn to take care of. They have other plans for what they're taking out of me....

Anyone have experience of both? How do they compare? Differ?
Sherri
DX Stage I Nov. 2012
Resection Feb. 1 2013

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Re: C-Section versus Resection?

Postby Bev G » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:13 am

Hi Sheri,

I've had both, the C/S in 1977 and the colon resection in 2009. If memory serves (and thanks to chemo-brain, it often doesn't!) I recall that the colon resection was less painful than the C/S. Of course, with the C/S, I had a wonderful and incredible baby out of it...the love of my life. On the other hand, it was great to get that big, ugly tumor out as well. Now, the liver resection---don't even ask! :D

Wishing you the best of luck. It's really not too bad at all!

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:23 am

Sheri,

Don't know if you were under full anesthesia for your C-sections; if you were able to have an epidural beforehand, possibly not. To me, in addition to recovering from surgery, you have to recover from anesthesia, which drugs out your entire body, not just your mind. I didn't think the post-surgery pain was much different C-section to resection, but after colon surgery, you also worry about how to restart your bowels, which can take a little effort. (Lots of advice on this board, check it out).

Talk to your surgeon, not just about limiting actvities during your recovery, but also what you should do on a continued basis to avoid an abdominal hernia. Although the incisions are quite different between the two types of surgeries, I would think that 3 abdominal surgeries should still mean no heavy lifting, and maybe, no sit-ups.

Best wishes,
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

beth568

Postby beth568 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:05 am

I had less incisional pain after my rectal resection than after my C-section. As far as limited activity, same restrictions about not running up and down the stairs too much, and it was uncomfortable for me to walk for a while (though I did walk - slowly - every day). I was happy that I'd already experienced abdominal surgery, because I was much less apprehensive about the resection than I would have been without knowing what to expect.

Piece of cake? Not really. But not the worst thing imaginable, either. You'll do just fine.
Beth
dx @age 42, Jan '11 RC, T2or3NxM0 (stage IIIA/IIIB)
6 wks chemorad Feb - Mar '11
LAR 5/23/11, staged T2N1bM0 (2 of 15 nodes positive)
8 rounds FOLFOX, June-Oct. 2011
clear scans Nov '11, May '12, Nov '12, May '13
http://www.mysemicolon.net

Coppercent

Postby Coppercent » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:08 am

I had a c-section in 1985 under a general and a c-section in 1987 with an epideral. I had a LAR in 2011 and the recoveries were about the same. Basically for both the only restrictions were lifting. I was up and walking around faster with the LAR but I think that was because medical protocals have changed. They kept me in bed for 24 hours with my c-sectiosn and I was up walking the day of surgery with my LAR. My c-sections were horizontal and my LAR was vertical. I was surprised how quickly I recovered but my surgeon prior to surgery said I could return to work in 3 weeks as long as I didn't lift. I have a really high tolerance for pain. So I did not have pain medication after my c-sections because I was breast feeding and I stopped the pain drip the morning after my LAR surgery. I just don't like the drowsiness from pain meds. I like to know what is going on.
07/15/11 Stage III Rectal, 08/11 - 09/11 Chemo/rad 11/11 LAR - Whole rectum gone, ostomy, hysterectomy
01/12 Port placed, 01/12 thru 06/12 Folfox, Xelox 10/03/12 Reversal, Clear scan
And then the story continues.
Currently, remission round two!

Sherri56

Postby Sherri56 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:13 am

Bev -- the babies are beautiful. Nothing like holding a newborn. I adore my kids even though they are both intense teenagers. Liver resection does not sound good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the spot on my liver is indeed a cyst.

Diane -- I did not have general anesthesia for the c-sections. I have also found that if I ask them to not give me sedatives first, then I'm a lot clearer coming out of the general. I tell them I'm pretty laid back so I don't need sedation before the general and they agree to it. But ugh -- the worst thing about c-sections was the first poop. That's the worst part of this whole thing. I will look it up.

Beth -- walking sounds good - DH and I plan on doing a lot of that - wish it would warm up though. It will be hard to walk in the frigid temps we've been having. And yea -- my c-section scars are at least 5 inches long. I remember my bladder hurting for years afterwards actually. Some docs can be a bit rough. Of course my reg ob/gyn was on vaca when my daughter was born and I ended with these two clowns who stuck their finger through my fundus, stitched it up and didn't put me on anything. Yup -- two weeks later dehydrated with a bacterial infection from the wound. Pfft, some people.

Coppercent -- I kind of figured they'd be similar, and thought it might be easier without a babe to look after. I'm not big on the pain killers either - they make me wiggy! But I'll take the 24 hours of morphine thank you very much! :D
Sherri
DX Stage I Nov. 2012
Resection Feb. 1 2013

RayGirl

Postby RayGirl » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:35 am

For me the overall recovery was very similar. The first couple of days were a little different. No beautiful newborn to cuddle, but also no stubborn newborn that refuses to latch on to nurse, or the horrible contractions post delivery everytime said child finally decided she would nurse. Nurses keep track of bowel output the entire time you are there instead of just urine (that they only track for a little bit after c-section) So besides those difference, much was the same, you are encouraged to get up and walk as soon as possible, same level of soreness at the incesion. My resection scar actually along my c-section one. Surgeon said he already had a nice straight line to follow. :D

good luck!
Stage III Rectal: T3, 3/21 Nodes
dxn:Feb-10
Radiation&Xeloda
7.5 hr surgery
12th FOLFOX Nov-10
Takedown:Jan-11

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:41 am

I had 2 c-sections; one in 2000 and one in 2002. My surgery to remove my tumor was in 2007. By far the cancer surgery was harder to recover from. Not much comparison. With the c-sections I could pretty much go home in a couple of days. The tumor surgery I was in for 2 1/2 weeks. BUT - my surgery to remove the tumor took 4 1/2 hours. The c-section took less than 30 minutes. So the cancer surgery was much more invasive and extensive. My entire rectum and a portion of my colon was removed, my colon was reattached and a temporary ileostomy was put in. Most people seem to get out in a week, give or take a day or two.

Pain meds are great, but they do slow down the bowels. Use them when you need to, but once you are able to start weaning yourself off of them, your bowels will get going sooner and easier. I see you are stage 1 - YEAH! But surgery is still surgery. Ms. May 2012, Connie, is a stage 1 survivor and she had surgery - you can read her story here - http://www.colonclub.com/the-2012-colon ... /may-2012/

The nice thing, if you can call it that, is you've been through abdominal surgery before. Both surgeries leave you with that "I've just been hit by a BIG truck" feeling. But also the knowledge that every day you feel a little bit better. You know how important it is to get up and walking as soon as you are able. Despite my long recovery on my cancer surgery, they did have me up and walking the day after surgery.

You're going to do great and you've found a great resource in this board.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

sbrainbolt

Postby sbrainbolt » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:18 pm

I had 2 c sections, 1981 and 1985, resection was Feb 2012.

My experience was similar to others, faster recovery from the resection.

I was offered an epidural as part of my pain management for the resection. It was a GOD SEND! I didn't really have much incisional pain while the epidural was in. After they took it out and everything woke up that was different. It was painful, but not terrible. The hardest part for me was getting my colon to "wake up". I had a lot of nausea and bloating until things started moving again. I think that was the worst part.

Everything being said, I was back at work full time in 2.5 weeks. Couldn't stand being at home with all that time on my hands to think. Work was a welcome distraction for me.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted!
Susan
DX 1/12 50 yrs
LAR 2/12 CR 3A T1N1M0
chemo 3/12- 9/10/12 FOLFOX, issues with platelet counts every 4th treatment
CEA normal
CT 3/15 stable lung nods since 1/2012 NED.
SBO kinked small bowel 10/13 - LAPRO surgery to fix
yrly scans now
09/25/2017 - Graduated to the Survivorship Clinic at MDA! Cured!!!

Sherri56

Postby Sherri56 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:33 pm

Hi Susan -- So you chose the epidural over the morphine? They're giving me that option too and I'm trying to decide which to go with. Sounds like you would give a big thumbs up for the epidural. I figured there would be nausea so I just bought some Chinese ginger/honey tea. Also noted, chew lots of gum. At the moment I am T1N0M0 and I'm hoping to stay that way. Fingers are crossed. I notice that you just had 1 node test positive and you had some chemo rounds.
Sherri
DX Stage I Nov. 2012
Resection Feb. 1 2013

jens22
Facebook Username: jspirio

Postby jens22 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:04 pm

About the same however....no contracting uterus, no baby to take care of and the same philosophy of "Get up" Keep Walking" and passing gas!!! A bit different as far as incisions go but so similar.
Colonoscopy 3/10 for ? hemmorrhoid.
Diag Colon Cancer 3 days later
Colon Ressection 3/30/10
Stage 3B 5/14 Nodes positive.
Power Port and 7 months of Chemo
Port removed 11/11
8 negative Cat Scans..... 10 years cancer free and Discharged from Sloane Kett!!
Diag age 47 , now 57 Mom of 3 boys.

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:26 am

Ultra low anterior resection way easier than c section and WAY less painful

sbrainbolt

Postby sbrainbolt » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:22 pm

I actually had the epidural AND a pain pump. I would absolutely get the epidural! They will give you additional pain meds if you need it. The goal is to keep it in check so that your body can heal. So don't try to be a hero, if you need meds ask for them! I asked for Tramadol, don't like narcotics. But I think they did give me morphine at first and I totally didn't like the way it made me feel. Feel free to pm me if you want to discuss further.

Yes, I had one node of 19 test positive. I am thankful they found it because it could have been left in and I could have opted not to do the chemo. So I am grateful for that. I hope you are ALL CLEAR!!!! :D

Also, walk, walk, walk!!!!
DX 1/12 50 yrs
LAR 2/12 CR 3A T1N1M0
CEA normal
yrly scans now

Sherri56

Postby Sherri56 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:47 pm

I think it's so funny that what I have to do after surgery is chew gum and walk. Thank goodness I don't have to talk too! :D
Sherri
DX Stage I Nov. 2012
Resection Feb. 1 2013

sbrainbolt

Postby sbrainbolt » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:25 pm

Keep that sense of humor going! too funny! :mrgreen:
DX 1/12 50 yrs
LAR 2/12 CR 3A T1N1M0
CEA normal
yrly scans now

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”