NED post + comments !

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CRguy

NED post + comments !

Postby CRguy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:25 pm

This is generally a good news post, just FYI !

A couple of recurrent themes on the CClub forum, since Feb. 2008 involve :
1. People with good news not wanting to post good news while others here may be facing new challenges.
2. People out of treatment, doing well, know they "should" feel happier…but aren't.

The first I understand completely, but I always remember the folks who were having tough times themselves saying, repeatedly " post the good news too, we all need a lift sometimes." … then there is always the hopeful example we can share with new members, who are scared as hell at the prospects of a cancer diagnosis.

The second, I was never very sure about. I couldn't wait to get away from doctors and treatments after my initial chemoradiation, surgery, chemo and ileo takedown. I wanted no part of being a cancer patient or being in follow up. My BIL, Stage III, who went through all this a number of years ahead of me, said he felt lost after being set loose from the Oncs, He used to get scans and bloods, treatments; everyone had something he was supposed to do; it was all planned and organized. When he was kicked out for regular follow up he felt totally lost. I told him "count your blessings and stay away from doctors ! "

Making a long story short … I just kind of get it now, after a first round of all this nonsense myself, a period of being NED, a recurrence, back in the lottery again, another round of this nonsense…. But instead of heading for the exit, like I did the first time, I actually understand the reticence of being cut free from the "system."

I definitely have feelings of " Ok so I am now NED" ( = No Evidence of Disease. )
My first time around I was totally focussed on the NO evidence of DISEASE part.
NOW I am more concerned with the no EVIDENCE of disease part.
Perhaps, as the lawyers would say, more of a distinction without a difference ????

Yesterday :
My Onc greeted me with the good news " Everything looks great, how are you feeling ? I think you are doing very well. I'll see you in six months and we'll do another scan in a year."

Generally I think a "normal" person would say " hellyeah, lemme outta here, solong seeyalater BYE !!! " But I am not normal I guess.
I am a Stage IVa CRC survivor which again, may be a distinction without a difference. While I was happy the current "evidence" was OK, I am now more concerned with continuing to look for "evidence" than I was first time around. In response to my Onc, I reminded him of my own philosophy which was forged in the classes of my old Medicine Professor : "You will miss more for not looking, than not knowing."

I told my Onc " we are going to keep looking if you don't mind." Now it's not that a 6 month versus 1 year scan at this point would necessarily make a huge difference in my future ????? But I don't really know. What I do know is that I am not going to be a victim of a health care system
"follow up protocol" ruling which has nothing to do with me as an individual patient. Just because the Onc is happy and the "protocol" is happy enough with a 1 year scan….. doesn't mean I am. So, six months it is.

So there it is.

I am again currently NED.
I am probably not as happy as I could be…..but, at least now I get that part.

OH, and the positive part for any new members here :

In Feb 2013, I will be 6 years out from the first doctor's appointment, 5 years out from the ileostomy takedown and joining the ColonClub Support Forum, 3 years out from the PET scan which identified my recurrence and 2½ years out from my last chemo.

Life does indeed go on… one step… one day….one scan at a time.

Sending Cheers and best wishes to all on the Journey.
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Re: NED post + comments !

Postby NWgirl » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:31 pm

I "get it" too. I'm thrilled for you CRGuy - wishing you many, many more years NED. I really, really, really want to be in your shoes! I guess time will tell. We're making history you know?! That's how I think about it. We can't predict where we're going because medicine and knowledge are constantly changing and growing. And truth be told, I don't think I WANT to know where I'm headed. Not that I thrive on uncertainty, but some things are best left unknown. Just hoping for the best - for all of us.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

lohidoc

Postby lohidoc » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:41 pm

Well, I get it too CRGuy. But surely there is material here for, I don't know, some more poetry perhaps???
"Half of what I know is wrong. I don't know which half."

Age 56
Dx 19/7/11
R. hemicolectomy 25/7/11
IIIc, 7 / 23 nodes,
no mets
Folfox 21/8/11
CT Scan 6/3/12 NED
CT Scan 21/6/12 30+ lung mets, 2 retroperitoneal tumours
marcdu4.wordpress.com

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:52 pm

Amen, brother.

People post good news. People post bad news. We're all in this together.

This site has had my back, good news or bad (and I've had plenty of both). It's just our reality.

The support I've received has meant a great deal to me. So have the friends I've made.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:16 pm

Amen to the friends, brothers and sisters in arms !

Apparently I've had a request ? :shock:
I have written poetry
...some would call it verse

a friend once told me, dude that's bad
...I said I've written worse

but that is not my burden now
as I journey this new road

Have I now vanquished ALL defeats?
do I retreat …. or just reload ?

In Harmony All !
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

skypup

Postby skypup » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Hard to follow such magnificent verse, so I'll keep it simple: CONGRATULATIONS on more time in NEDsville, may it keep on going! And bravo on calling your own shots on the watchful waiting timeline. Oh, and I really liked your parsing of "no evidence of disease"; I get it...

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:35 pm

Hey, CR, I get it too. How many of your stage IV brothers and sisters DON'T get it??!??? (and no, this isn't stageism, this is reality) Cancer is terrifying for every one who gets diagnosed, for every one who has a loved one diagnosed. It is riskier to have a stage IV diagnosis. Just is what it is. Every single day that each of us lives is a little victory---for each of us, individually, and together on the journey. I'm so glad your scan was clear. Cancer sucks....but you don't!

Love to you, and all my stage IV brothers and sisters (and everyone else, too, of course!)

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:41 pm

Hi CR Guy

As a newcomer to this game I can't comment too much as my journey is just starting.

I can understand the distinction between the Ned and nEd, and I can only hope that I can get to that point to have the same emotions as you.

From my point of view I hope to be able to struggling with the same emotional issues in 5 years time, and then maybe you can tell me what you did to overcome it? Or maybe you don't overcome it. Maybe you just say that is life and you are going to have to live with it.

I've only known that I have cancer 6 weeks, and yet it annoys me when I hear people talking about the "flu that they feel like they are dying from". Can't blame them & I know that it is me that has changed. Maybe your answer is just to keep on looking?

Again, not a bad position to be in and, honestly best wishes on the search, but may your search be endless.
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (39 Year old male at dx)
pT3N0M1 (wish that was M0)
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
FOLOFX April 2013 - Sep 2013
Clear Scan 03 Dec 2013 - August 2020
Port Out 26 March 2015

NedPlease

Postby NedPlease » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:50 pm

Thanks for expressing my feelings. I keep close tabs on you. Up for for a promotion if next month's scan is clear, I will be thinking about what interval I can live with :roll:
Very happy for you!
F-54- St 4- Ascend Colon, 2 Liver mets, Poorly dif, Mutant
6/10- Folfox
9/10- R Liver Resect/Colon/Gall/Appendix
11/10-3/11- Folfox
11/11- R Lung, 1 met, VATS
3/12- 9/12- Xeloda
2/12- 6/18 Clear Scans
6/19- first time no scan
Today- NED

cecioboe
Facebook Username: Ceci Lagarenne (Higgins)

Postby cecioboe » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:27 pm

Right! It has been a big transition from active treatment to follow-ups... Jim is NED now and on the 3 month program. Since he still has his port (onc recommended leaving it in for a year) it requires periodic flushing which is actually okay since they can do his blood work at the same time. So he has not been set free yet. He is a pragmatic man and feels what will be will be. Let's just hope it is NED that which will be. He is waiting until next month when his Medicare kicks in before getting the next scan (is supposed to be now.)

In the meatime, please keep bringing on the good news. It sure made it easier for us to cope when we read about those who beat the beast knowing that Jim might too.

Ceci
Wife to Jim Stage IV RC w/liver mets
DX 9/16/11
T3N1M1
Oct - Dec 2011 chemo/rad
1/04/12 ileo
1/16/12 LAR, liver resection
2/29/12 blockage, emer surg, ileo rev
4/16/12- 9/16/12 chemo
NED since 10/22/12
De-ported 6/24/16

karin
Facebook Username: Karin Tobin Fagner

Postby karin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:49 pm

Well I am thrilled for You!!!
H A P P Y. DANCE. TIME!!!! :lol:
Congratulations, NED now and 4ever!! <3
Karin
BFF dx'd June09 w CRC & peritoneal mucinous carcinomatosis @ age 40
She beat cancer for 20 months!

cptmac
Facebook Username: Dorothy McGrath

Postby cptmac » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:15 am

Oh how I get it. I started getting nervous as my appts got stretched further and further. For my last appt, I was more nervous than thrilled. No more CTs to catch my cancer. Just the same blood test that always says I'm healthy. But I knock on wood hoping to keep up my good luck. And I do visit back here from time to time. Grateful to see friends like you on here still helping the masses.

I wish you all the best on your journey.
cptmac
As long as you're alive, there is hope.
dx 7/04 stage IV
colon resection 8/04
liver resection 9/04 with HAI pump installed
Stage II trial w irinotecan as systemic and FUDR for direct chemo to liver via HAI pump
Cured since 9/04

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:20 am

Totally relate to your feelings crguy.....but it's a feeling I'm happy to struggle with :lol:
Rob
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
Lung met 5/13/ said NO to more chemo
SBRT 8/13
2 lung mets 5/14, VATS 8/14, NED

lohidoc

Postby lohidoc » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:46 am

CRguy wrote:Amen to the friends, brothers and sisters in arms !

Apparently I've had a request ? :shock:
I have written poetry
...some would call it verse

a friend once told me, dude that's bad
...I said I've written worse

but that is not my burden now
as I journey this new road

Have I now vanquished ALL defeats?
do I retreat …. or just reload ?

In Harmony All !

That's beautiful!
"Half of what I know is wrong. I don't know which half."

Age 56
Dx 19/7/11
R. hemicolectomy 25/7/11
IIIc, 7 / 23 nodes,
no mets
Folfox 21/8/11
CT Scan 6/3/12 NED
CT Scan 21/6/12 30+ lung mets, 2 retroperitoneal tumours
marcdu4.wordpress.com

Ashlee H.

Postby Ashlee H. » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:26 am

Love the great news. Understand the feelings. Just glad you are here making us smile with your words.
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”