OT -- my Sky pup

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
skypup

OT -- my Sky pup

Postby skypup » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:25 pm

This is sooooo off-topic that you might want to go back to the cancer stuff right now. But if you love dogs, then thanks in advance for indulging me. :D

My fabulous heartdog Sky recently turned 11. She is in great shape except for getting the old-dog cloudy eyes, and this only bothers her in dim light or when looking into bright lights. Sunday we went to an agility competition, and in our first run she made the kind of mistake that indicates her eyesight has become a problem that could put her in danger. So we finished the day with what will be our last competition agility course, a fast and perfectly executed run (on her part!) that I'll remember every second of for the rest of my life. One more blue ribbon to end her great career; one last time doing our jobs in complete partnership. She was the first agility champion in all of northeast Texas and was at one time the #4 cattle dog in the nation.

Why am I posting here? Because nobody can understand the beauty of this moment of life like a cancer warrior! The good times only get sweeter after one has danced with Death.

When I was diagnosed, and we knew it was advanced from the get-go, my prayer was that I outlive Sky so she won't have to be re-homed (she is an intensely one-person dog). Over four years on, it looks like I might make it that far--may she please live to be 16 as all my other dogs have done. I'm still praying the same prayer, that we make it together...

If you read this far -- thank you!
Last edited by skypup on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Re: OT -- my Sky pup

Postby Bev G » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:33 pm

Skypup, for a reason I don't fully understand, dogs touch me like nothing else. Yes. I understand. When my beautiful chocolate lab grand-dog Bailey was diagnosed with malignant mast-cell cancer 6 weeks after my diagnosis I cried and thought it would never end. I now count his cancerverssaries with mine. He lives on, and me, too! My own Luc (Brittany) went from certifiable crazy dog to loving,tender and gentle dog overnight when I was diagnosed, and virtually never leaves my side. What a noble history your wonderful Skypup has had! So glad she is living on with you, it sounds like she has justly earned her retirement! Dogs...just the biggest blessing!

Hugs to you today, at this bittersweet time!

Love,

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

Sherri56

Postby Sherri56 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:34 pm

Congratulations on the win! That is an achievement for you both. I have lots of animals and am determined that I will kick this disease because there is simply no other choice. I have 4 dogs, 3 cats, 4 birds, a frog, and 400g of saltwater in my house. Plus my daughter has a hamster... we like critters. That is so good though - congrats again!
Sherri
DX Stage I Nov. 2012
Resection Feb. 1 2013

skypup

Postby skypup » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:39 pm

Bev G wrote:My own Luc (Brittany) went from certifiable crazy dog to loving,tender and gentle dog overnight when I was diagnosed, and virtually never leaves my side.

Is that not amazing?!

Btw, I forgot to mention that Sky will still be my best hiking partner. :)

Maia

Postby Maia » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:54 pm

Ahhh... dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole, innit?
So happy to read this. Tell Sky that her cousins Klaus and Cookie send her big fat congrats -and me, too!

skypup

Postby skypup » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:58 pm

Maia wrote:Tell Sky that her cousins Klaus and Cookie send her big fat congrats -and me, too!

Woof, woof, Klaus and Cookie! (no translation required)

tawni's mom
Facebook Username: princesstawni

Postby tawni's mom » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:00 pm

Tears of joy to You & SkyPup! I too am a dog lover, so can relate to the joy you have with SkyPup.

That is one thing that bothers me the most about the whole cancer issue... not dying, but what happens to my dog. I have a little maltese/poodle mix who is a mama's girl. She is only 4 years old. She was poked by a bad groomer at a young age and has been scared of scissors ever since. So since that point in time I have learned to groom her myself, thanks to hours of You Tube videos. From cute trim jobs, fancy ponytails & bows in her hair, using a Dremel on her nails, pulling out ear hair, etc... She has put the trust in me to do it all. She is a single coated breed, so has to wear coats in winter. I have learned to sew and make all her custom clothes! She has had a few surgeries to fix her back legs, luxating patellas(sloppy kneecaps) from bad breeding. She has pins & wires in her knees , and spent 8 weeks in a baby playpen for recovery, with mama by her side the whole time. When I am on my chemo rounds and somewhat bed-bound, she is like glue stuck to my side. Even when her dad comes to get her to go potty, she resists leaving me only for that few minutes. I have even got her approved as my personal service dog so she goes everywhere with me. Last year she was on the local news & this year she was a model for the Nevada Humane Society Calendar!
My husband works long hours and is away from the house 12 hrs a day. He likes to go camping & fishing for his 'man' vacations, not aplace for a little dog! He is not a groomer or doggie hairdresser, and definately not a seamstress. So it terifies me to wonder what will happen to my sweet, dedicated little girl. NO ONE can care for her the way I do, and that scares me more than anything.

http://pegsblog.picturethisstudio.com/index/index/page/17

If any of you are facebook users, feel free to add me.
http://www.facebook.com/princesstawni
DX 11/26/12 CRC IV w/ lots of liver mets
T3B rectal sigmoid junction, 4 nodes involved
Folfox/Avastin-rising CEA
Folfiri/Erbitux, allergic to Iri.
Erbitux/5FU
Folfox/Erbitux
CEA in hundreds

skypup

Postby skypup » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:13 pm

Tawni is so photogenic! She looks like she loves posing! What a beautiful bond you two have.

You know, getting Sky's godmom chosen and all that settled was the one thing that freed me up to get on with life and battling cancer. So I know how you feel not having a great plan in place. Perhaps you could arrange for Tawni to go to the home of your choice if need be? Would your husband be hurt or fight your wishes? I'm sure there are many people who would be willing to adopt and love a little cutie like Tawni.

tawni's mom
Facebook Username: princesstawni

Postby tawni's mom » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:33 pm

I have thought of choosing a Godparent, just I am so picky about her needs it is hard to choose the right one, and I definately don't want to make a mistake in doing it. She has become a very high maintanance creature. Yep, too many people would love to have her, but the question is, is their heart in the right place? Would they want her for her photogenic nature because she is a definate attention grabber? or truely care for her because of her sweet nature? I see too many people adopt animals because they are cute & fluffy, and a month later when the novelty wears off, they end up free on Craigslist. So sad when that happens.
My husband wouldn't fight the decission to rehome her, as long as he still had visitation rights LOL. That is one thing he has always joked about, if we ever had to get a divoce, he could care less who got the house, but we would fight over the dog! LOL It would break his heart too, as she is a daddy's girl also, but he would know it would be what was best for her in the long run.
Like you, I can only pray at this moment to live longer than the dog so she doesn't have to go through the sorrow & pain of loss.
DX 11/26/12 CRC IV w/ lots of liver mets
T3B rectal sigmoid junction, 4 nodes involved
Folfox/Avastin-rising CEA
Folfiri/Erbitux, allergic to Iri.
Erbitux/5FU
Folfox/Erbitux
CEA in hundreds

robinkaye

Postby robinkaye » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:36 pm

Skypup, for a reason I don't fully understand, dogs touch me like nothing else. Yes. I understand. When my beautiful chocolate lab grand-dog Bailey was diagnosed with malignant mast-cell cancer 6 weeks after my diagnosis I cried and thought it would never end. I now count his cancerverssaries with mine. He lives on, and me, too! My own Luc (Brittany) went from certifiable crazy dog to loving,tender and gentle dog overnight when I was diagnosed, and virtually never leaves my side. What a noble history your wonderful Skypup has had! So glad she is living on with you, it sounds like she has justly earned her retirement! Dogs...just the biggest blessing!

Hugs to you today, at this bittersweet time!

Love,

Bev

Bev, the week before my husband was diagnosed both of my dogs (Boxer, Boston) were diagnosed one day apart with mast cell cancer. They had sugery two days apart the week Jim started
radiation. Someone told me to check the water! Unfortunately looks like the Boxer has a brain tumor. He is having a few seizures and a tumor is the only explaination after a process of elimination.
No more surgery for him so it's wait and see how it goes. Winston is like Brittany, stays with my husband...very concerned with all that is going on. I love dogs, a house is so empty without one...

Robin
Husband has RC Stage IIIC
Chemorad 9/28-11/07
2 rounds FOLFOX to get rid of iliac LN
LAR Surgery 1/17 ileostomy
presacral abscess 2/1 - 3/27
FOLFOX began 4/5 - 6/15
another presacral abscess 6/30-8/10
Reversal 9/11
10/15 fistula with drain

JennyB

Postby JennyB » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:58 pm

Dogs are the BEST. I think the hardest part of Scott's original hospital stay was being away from our Macky and Zoe. Congrats to Skypup and i love that he got a BLUE ribbon!
Jennifer
Wife of Scott, diagnosed at age 34 on 3-27-09, now 37
Stage III-C CC, 15 out of 36 nodes involved
Ulcerative colitis since age 11, colon removed 3-25-09
He finished Folfox on 9-23-09
Permanent ileostomy March 2012
NED so far!

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:13 pm

tawni's mom wrote:Tears of joy to You & SkyPup! I too am a dog lover, so can relate to the joy you have with SkyPup.

That is one thing that bothers me the most about the whole cancer issue... not dying, but what happens to my dog. I have a little maltese/poodle mix who is a mama's girl. She is only 4 years old. She was poked by a bad groomer at a young age and has been scared of scissors ever since. So since that point in time I have learned to groom her myself, thanks to hours of You Tube videos. From cute trim jobs, fancy ponytails & bows in her hair, using a Dremel on her nails, pulling out ear hair, etc... She has put the trust in me to do it all. She is a single coated breed, so has to wear coats in winter. I have learned to sew and make all her custom clothes! She has had a few surgeries to fix her back legs, luxating patellas(sloppy kneecaps) from bad breeding. She has pins & wires in her knees , and spent 8 weeks in a baby playpen for recovery, with mama by her side the whole time. When I am on my chemo rounds and somewhat bed-bound, she is like glue stuck to my side. Even when her dad comes to get her to go potty, she resists leaving me only for that few minutes. I have even got her approved as my personal service dog so she goes everywhere with me. Last year she was on the local news & this year she was a model for the Nevada Humane Society Calendar!
My husband works long hours and is away from the house 12 hrs a day. He likes to go camping & fishing for his 'man' vacations, not aplace for a little dog! He is not a groomer or doggie hairdresser, and definately not a seamstress. So it terifies me to wonder what will happen to my sweet, dedicated little girl. NO ONE can care for her the way I do, and that scares me more than anything.

http://pegsblog.picturethisstudio.com/index/index/page/17

If any of you are facebook users, feel free to add me.
http://www.facebook.com/princesstawni

Awww....she is just beautiful!!!! Have I got a cute guy for her!!!!
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

Amy14760
Facebook Username: Amylynneehmann@gmail.com

Postby Amy14760 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:32 pm

Love all the dogs, but my cat has been my best buddy since diagnoses. Somehow he just knows that I need his comfort. Pets are truly kindred spirits.
Jun 12: Rectal cancer - Stage IIIC pT2N2 (15/19 pos nodes) - age 49
Jul 12: Resection w/ileostoma
Aug 12: 6 weeks rad w/Xeloda
Sep-Jan 13: FOLFOX - 6 rounds
Jan 13: clean scan
Mar 13: Reversal/Port out
Aug 13: Clean scope
Currently NED

sadysue

Postby sadysue » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:40 pm

I can so relate to this. What a proud moment for you to cherish forever. It's funny that I too needed desperately to outlive my pack, which currently consists of 2 Australian Shepherds and 2 Aussie/Border Collie mixes. I was more worried about what would become of them and my baby, a 23 year old Macaw parrot, than I was worried for myself. Well, at this time, it looks like I will outlive my pups but never the Macaw, who is still young at 23. I have plans for his care, no matter what happens to me. I sure as heck won't live for 50 more years! I am so thankful for all the joy my fur and feathered family has brought into my life. I am so lucky to have them :D
Rectal dx 4/2011 (Stage 3B - T3N1M0)
5FU/Rad - daily/6 wks ending 6/2011
Surgery 8/19/2011
Finished 8 rounds Folfox 2/2012
Ileo reverse and port out 3/2012
NED

Amy14760
Facebook Username: Amylynneehmann@gmail.com

Postby Amy14760 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:05 pm

OK pet lovers...check out this video...gave me a big smile.
http://vimeo.com/40471435
Jun 12: Rectal cancer - Stage IIIC pT2N2 (15/19 pos nodes) - age 49
Jul 12: Resection w/ileostoma
Aug 12: 6 weeks rad w/Xeloda
Sep-Jan 13: FOLFOX - 6 rounds
Jan 13: clean scan
Mar 13: Reversal/Port out
Aug 13: Clean scope
Currently NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”