Neulasta question

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Neulasta question

Postby Bev G » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:03 pm

Hi all

For any of you who have gotten Neulasta, do you know how long it took to bring your white count up? My husband is on new kick ass chemo for his stage IV lymphoma. His white count went down to 1.2 last Thursday and I sort of rushed him in for Neulasta. (He had not wanted to take it on Tuesday because his counts were fine on Monday). So, he had the shot Thursday, lab work repeated today, and white count hasn't gone up at all. Now his platelets have dropped by 100K, and RBCs have dropped as well, though he's not yet anemic, and with a platelet count of 40K, he shouldn't bleed. The white count though, is essentially non-existant. They put him on prophylactic antibiotics and I am to take him to the ER if he gets any fever at all...then will be ICU admission and IV antibiotics. Whew...this stuff is scary. Prayers would be great, and so appreciated.

Love to all,

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

edinaman

Re: Neulasta question

Postby edinaman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:39 pm

Bev, I am wishing you and your husband the best. I did neulasta with chemo's 6-11. My counts went up, but I don't know how quickly since they only checked them two weeks later when I went for my next chemo. I hope his start returning quickly.
Jeff
Went in for surgery for a cyst on my bladder, and they found colon cancer growing on the outside of the colon. Got to have two surgeries at the same time! Stage 3, one node involved.

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:06 pm

edinaman wrote:Bev, I am wishing you and your husband the best. I did neulasta with chemo's 6-11. My counts went up, but I don't know how quickly since they only checked them two weeks later when I went for my next chemo. I hope his start returning quickly.
Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. What you said makes so much sense.All this lymphoma stuff is so confusing to me---so different than all of the solid tumors, much more dynamic. My concern now, other than his terrible immunosuppression, is that our doc may decide to give him any more of this chemo (this is the 1st round of this stuff)--and he has no more options. Colon cancer, I now understand pretty well, Lymphoma, no, not so much. Sheesh! Thank you for your well wishes, Jeff.You've been such a good friend!
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

mackswife

Postby mackswife » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:10 pm

Bev, my DH has been given neulasta 9 times. His counts are generally up the week after his injection, and he experiences back pain due to bone marrow stimulation on day 5 after the injection. The pain was really signifcant until we learned that a daily dose of claritin can prevent that side effect. Mack received neupagen one time instead of the neulasta. It works much faster, and the pain hit within 24 hours. WBC's were up within 4 days. My thoughts are with you and your husband during this truly difficult time.
Pattie
Husband IIIC;
7/12 - resection; 12 rounds folfox
CT/PET scans 4/13, 9/13 - NED
CT scan 3/14 - liver/LN mets
5/2/14- failed liver resection - peri. mets.
6 rounds of iri/avastin
8/26/14 - failed liver resect/HIPEC. dse. progression
9/14 - 3/15 - progression on chemo
3/23/15 - treatment stopped; working the bucket list

Deb in Texas

Postby Deb in Texas » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:21 pm

I've had neulasta last 4 chemo disconnects and my white blood count has stayed up. I missed what was supposed to be chemo #3 due to low blood count. They gave me neupogen and came back next day and my counts had doubled but still too low for chemo. I imagine they will keep giving me neulasta shots every time to avoid delaying chemo.
Deb, f50
Dx 49 on 5-4-12 RCa
5.5 weeks of Xeloda+rad 5-12 to 7-12
Lovely month of normalcy in August!
LAR + temp ileo 9-5-12
Stage IIIa, T2,N1
FOLFOX6 10-16-12 x 12 rounds for 6 mos
Round 12 completed
Ileo reversal following chemo 2013

MrPleistocene
Facebook Username: vinson.jim

Postby MrPleistocene » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:30 pm

I know you are in a whole different world. It might be interesting to explore some non-traditional routes (with all of the 'consult your physicians' caveats). I had some issues late in chemo that seemed to be improved with a chinese herb. I think the name was something like Yun Nan Pa Yao, or something that sounded that way. I refered to it as, Viet Cong Field Medicine, since that was what I found when I googled it. It was used for soldiers that had lost or were losing blood. It seemed most targeted at maintaining platelets, but I think it also helped with white blood cells. It is a bit on the 'out there' list, but I know your situation doesn't afford you the luxuries of certainty anyway, so I thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I know I speak for a lot of members when I say, I think of you and your husband often. Best of luck, and may you squeeze as much joy out of life as there is.
DX 11/09 RC Stage IIIb
12/09 Chemorad w/Folfox
Surgery 4/10 LAR, Removed Seminal Vesicles
Clean Margins, T3N2M0, 4/19 Nodes
FOLFOX 6/10-11/10
6/10, 10/10, 1/11 Clean Scans, Normal CEA
12/10 Bi-Nephrostomy
12/10-2/11 HBOT
2/11 Reversal

Angiemarie2000
Facebook Username: Angela.boles

Postby Angiemarie2000 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:03 am

Lots of prayers coming your way.

Angie
5/12- @ 37 DX IV KRASmt
5/12- R. Hemi
6/12- Folfox/avastin-(Bad Reaction)
6/12- xeliri-7rds
CEA-DX @ 80 then 11,10,7,14,25,210,340,540,900
12/12-R. Ovary removed
01/13- folfox 4 rounds
03/13- folfox failed, in liver failure, starting regorafebin.

KarMel
Facebook Username: Karin Gray

Postby KarMel » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:12 am

[quote="Bev G]

(He had not wanted to take it on Tuesday because his counts were fine on Monday).

Bev[/quote]

I think this is the main problem. His onc should have pushed him, or your husband should be a lilttle less stubborn :roll:

I no longer have the option, my one says neulasta after every treatment, even if my count is just fine.
Stage IV, April 2009.
Treatments...multiple .
Currently none
"It is well, with my soul"

Joanne 814
Facebook Username: Joanne Flynn Hoerrner

Postby Joanne 814 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:33 am

Hi Bev. I had neulasta from the beginning for all 12 cycles of folfox. Onc said it would keep the WBC from plummeting and causing me more problems during chemo. I had it the day after disconnect every cycle. They taught my husband to give it to me, so I didn't have to go back a 4th day on treatment weeks. It caused me flu like symptoms for the next 24 hours after it. (Usually recliner bound with feet up all day). If effects your long bones, so legs and arms were very achy.

My potassium and platelets were my only issues. Those blasted potassium horse pills, had to up to 4 a day. Platelets were too low for chemo on off weeks, but BARELY made it on treatment weeks. I never had to delay or miss a treatment, and I think that neulasta helped me not have to deal with a flux in that number.

Good Luck to the Hubs and you too Bev!!

ONWARD!!

Joanne
Dx: Nov 07 @ age 43
Stage IIIC, RCa
Colon Resection: Nov 07, 4 of 27 LN
Chemo/Radiation: 28 treatments w/constant 5FU (Jan-Feb 08)
Chemo: Folfox, 12 cycles (Mar-Aug 08) DONE 8-8-08
CT Scan 1-09 NED

michelle c

Postby michelle c » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:44 am

Hi Bev,

I had neupogen (not neulasta) injections on day 3, 4 and 5 when my counts were low a few times during my treatment. By the time my next treatment came around my counts had gone up somewhat, still not high, but just in the normal range and high enough that my onc was happy for me to have my next treatment.

Sounds like your hubby's onc is one step ahead by giving him antibiotics. I had a fever once whilst on chemo on a Sunday but didn't really understand how serious it was. Hubby was at work and had the kids at home, I didn't want to trouble anyone at the time. Luckily, it resolved itself but I do remember being a bit worried, I kept checking my temp every 10 minutes or so.

Prayers coming your way. I also hope that your hubby is being a bit kinder to you. Best wishes to you both.
May 25 2009 Dx with CC (sigmoid colon) 2 days after my 44th b'day
CEA prior to surgery 4.7
Jun 3 2009 LAR - Stage III 3/10 lymph nodes
Jul 6 - Dec 10 2009 - 12 cycles FOLFIRI
Genetic testing - inconclusive for Lynch
Jul 2012 port removed & hernia repair

vickitwo

Postby vickitwo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:20 am

Bev, So sorry about the issues with the blood counts. My hubby has had Neulasta with every treatment. The only problem he has had so far is that about three times his treatment had to be pushed back a week due to low platelet ct. I think of you often and will continue to pray.
Vicki

DH Dx 1/2012 @ age 52
stage IV CC
transverse colon,omentum, cecum,liver,lungs,L5
9 rounds of Folfox, Avastin,
5FU/Leucovorin/Avastin
radiation tx to L5 and hips
Folfiri/Zaltrap
12/13/13 Folfox/Avastin
1/4/2014 passed away @ Hospice House- age 54

chp

Postby chp » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:34 am

Can't offer any advice about the Neulasta, but I can and will pray for him!
Cathy
57 yr old female
Dx CC Sept 2012
Resection surgery Sept. 19, 2012
T3 N0 MX. Signet ring cell
Started Xeolda Nov 14
Tiny spots on lungs on 1yr scan. Watching

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”