Stuart Scott

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Re: Stuart Scott

Postby SkiFletch » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:55 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2013/01/15/stuart-scott-cancer-espn/1837559/

he would prefer not to specify what type

If I knew it would get one person screened and end up somehow saving a life, I wish I could change his mind.
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

horizon

Postby horizon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:13 pm

Bev G wrote:Katie Couric did a lot to enhance people's awareness about CC. I can't imagine (and don't know) how many people got colonoscopies because of her advocacy. I think she's done a lot to help.

When I found out I needed a colonoscopy I was terrified. I cannot express in words how much her video helped me. She was even cracking jokes with the doctor as he was doing the procedure.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

tallyho

Postby tallyho » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:12 pm

I don't know who Stuart Scott is, but I was frustrated in much the same way when a prominent figure in my denomination spoke very openly about his cancer but never specified that it was colon cancer. If I had not had my own experience with CRC, I would not have known that he had colon cancer, but his descriptions of the treatments and such clued me in. It really does seem very much like the situation with breast cancer before all of the awareness campaigns began - people get colon or rectal cancer and are too embarrassed to talk about it.
7/27/10 DX Stage I at age 30
9/3/10 sigmoid resection, 0/56 nodes +, no chemo
10/12 - CT - NED!

kimmercans
Facebook Username: kimschlagel@msn.com

Postby kimmercans » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:51 pm

I must admit I say "colon cancer" when talking about my cancer. Saying "rectal cancer" seems to really bug people's eyes out. I think it's everyone's worse nightmare and we are living it...they just don't know how to react. Then you can see them thinking all about "how in the world did you find out...??!!"
Then...they always say: "How did you know?"...which leads to having to decide whether or not to divulge my bloody stools or butt pain.

So, I kind of understand, but I don't agree with their stance of not divulging cancer type.

Best of life,
Kim
Kimberly Age 54 Diagnosed at 44
Dx'd rectal ca 10/12/09
LAR,TME 10/14/2009 Stage 2a
Opted out of Folfox.
4/19/12 CT scan clear NED CEA<0.5
10/2019 still NED
Taking curcumin, Celebrex, vitamin d, digestive enzymes, bio identical hormone replacement.
2015 to present. Stopped all surveillance. Living life one glorious day at a time.

Karen32

Postby Karen32 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:02 pm

I had an interesting experience the other day. I have a colostomy. It is most likely permanent, although my surgeon hasnt given up convincing me to try reversal again. Anyway, I am in a meeting the other day. Three of us, one my friend and coworker and the other was a manager of another department. A young, attractive, up and coming man. Of all times, my stoma decides its going to make its presence known. Most likely something to do with my new high fiber/high vegetable diet. The first time kind of went unnoticed. The second time I smirked and my friend caught on. The third time I had no option but to blush and excuse myself. At that point he chuckles and says "we're amongst friends." So, I am left with the option of explaining or letting this young man think that I am cool with farting in a meeting. I went with the former. Explained.

Turns out, his mother passed this past summer of colon cancer that metastasized to her brain.

Also turns out he a his a huge advocate of early screening and discussing colon cancer and the symptoms, experience of his mother etc... If only more people took his stance.....people like Stuart Scott with more visibility and power to reach the masses.
dx at 37 YoA
9.9.10 Dx Stage IIIC Colon Cancer
9.9.10 Temp colostomy
12.3.10 Started Chemo; Folfox
2.18.11 Negative for HNPCC
4.29.11 Pet results show NED!
9.22.11 Clean scope! :)
11.7.11 Reversal failed
CT Scan results show NED: 8/11, 3/12, 3/13

horizon

Postby horizon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:54 am

kimmercans wrote:Then...they always say: "How did you know?"...which leads to having to decide whether or not to divulge my bloody stools or butt pain.

I have to say this still makes me cringe. When I tell people I was diagnosed with CC 97% of the time the next thing out of their mouth is "How did you know?" Then I'm discussing my poop with a group of people. :shock:
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:09 am

sadysue wrote:This might sound odd but when I was first diagnosed, I always said I had colorectal cancer with no embarassment. I was wishing I had colon cancer because it did not sound so awful, at least to me :roll: I know it was stupid of me. It actually took me many months to say the words "rectal cancer" out loud to anyone, even my family. I was embarassed.

Me too. People are horrified by it, they do react with distaste.

And I ve spent two years trying to recover from the indignity of what I went through. I hav trouble looking my surgeon in the eye. I have no such issues with things of a Gynaecological nature. If I need to talk about it, I say colon cancer.

I also suffer from a severely dysfunctional coloanal pouch but I have not investigated it and probably won't. Months of humiliating biofeedback and balloon training? Defecating proctogram? I have to have colonoscopies but I don't think I can cope with any more than that.

I'm sorry if people feel that's doing a disservice and failing to dispel stigma. But honestly, someone else can speak out if they want, I'm not sharing those details. It's great when high profile advocacy achieves big things but its nobody's "duty" to be the one that speaks out. People deserve their privacy.

shellfry

Postby shellfry » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:01 pm

I couldn't agree with you more! I tell everyone my story, and I'm always saying "everyone talks about boobs but no one wants to talk about butts!"
I now have a permanent colostomy and am very open about talking about it. As in, see where this can lead...
Our insurance here at work now covers routine colonoscopies as a preventative procedure payabe at 100%. I make people swear to me that they'll do this.
Once they hear my story, they usually do! I was dx'd at 44. So glad I didn't have to wait until the approved "50" I don't think I would have been around to celebrate my 50th. It's all about awareness . Everyone knows to get the mammogram, now they need to know to get these colonoscopies.
Michelle
Stage III Colorectal Cancer
2 lymph nodes involved
Resection Sept 2010
5-FU, Leucovorin, Oxiplatin
radiation
chemo complete May 2011
radiation complete Dec 2010
Port removed June 2011
permanent colostomy 9/2012 due to
complications from radiation
April 2015 Total Pelvic Floor Reconstruction

sadysue

Postby sadysue » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:51 pm

kimmercans....when people ask me how I knew something was wrong, I tell them that I thought I devloped hemorrhoids since I worked a physical outside job for almost 25 years. That's the truth (no other symptoms or pain) and nobody was more shocked than me when I heard the words rectal cancer. I am finally at a point where I can discuss rectal cancer with anyone who is interested in learning about it but most people stop all questions as soon as I tell them I thought I had hemorrhoids :roll:
Rectal dx 4/2011 (Stage 3B - T3N1M0)
5FU/Rad - daily/6 wks ending 6/2011
Surgery 8/19/2011
Finished 8 rounds Folfox 2/2012
Ileo reverse and port out 3/2012
NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”