Important Milestone For Me

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
BrownBagger

Important Milestone For Me

Postby BrownBagger » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:46 pm

About 5 years ago, after mountain biking for a few years, I bought a road bike and decided to explore the countryside around my new home in central NYS. I got the bike in August of '08 and put about 1,200 miles on it--including a couple of 100-mile rides--before the end of the year. The following March, I was diagnosed with what we thought was Stage 2a rectal cancer. I thought about my new hobby and wondered if I'd seen my last ride. It was a depressing thought. But I decided that since I knew what it felt like to ride, say, 30 miles in relatively good health, it would be useful to use that measure to see how physically debilitated I'd become from radiation, surgery and chemo. Radiation commenced in April and, due to some unseasonably warm weather, I was able to take some rides. The rad onc. said I probably wouldn't be able to ride a bike once the effects of the treatment (and Xeloda) started to kick in, but I figured I'd know when the time to stop had come. Interestingly enough, it never did. I rode as much as I could, just thankful to be physically viable. I actually got stronger. Had my LAR in mid-June and was laid up for a few weeks, but I got back on the bike after six weeks and rode as much as possible until the reversal, ten weeks later. Two weeks after that, I was back on the bike. Started Xelox in October and just kept on riding. It was another warm fall, so I rode through the whole 4 rounds--and found that it helped a lot in so many ways.

Anyway, to make a long story short, over the past 4 years I've had 5 major surgeries, radiation and a boatload of chemo. I've also ridden 9,000 miles. Yesterday, I crossed that threshhold.

The purpose of this thread is not to get a bunch of "attaboys" and other supportive comments. You all know I'm a nut. I know I'm a nut. My wife definitely knows I'm a nut.

No, the purpose of this thread is to point out that if you let a cancer dx limit your enthusiasm for life--if you let fear dominate your dreams and goals--then it wins. One of my mottos goes like this: "Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then, you'll be glad you did."

All that Lance Armstrong nonsense aside, don't let a cancer dx prevent you from pursuing your dreams. Be realistic, of course, but don't let the mental part cramp your style. You may find, like I did, that a lot of it is truly in your head.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

vancouver eve

Re: Important Milestone For Me

Postby vancouver eve » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:53 pm

I am happy to hear you broke your milestone. It does show we must keep going. It can sometimes be difficult, but do what you can, even if it is walking a few blocks until the strength builds up.

usopen

Postby usopen » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:01 pm

Thank you BB. I plan to read this often. I really need some positive thoughts. Hope to get get back to walking a lot.

Joan

justin case

Postby justin case » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:05 pm

I always push for another tommorrow, and really don't dwell on the past. It keeps me going strong. And just so you know BB, I'll be there when you get busted by the cancer biking board, for accumulating so many miles, while on steroids :roll:
Warm regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

Maia

Postby Maia » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:06 pm

:)
Last edited by Maia on Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hannahw

Postby hannahw » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:09 pm

9000 is pretty damn awesome. Cancer doesn't just want to take life, it wants to take quality of life. It tries to get us to live small when we deserve to live big. Whether you chose to ride 9000 miles or pursue some other personal passion, living big is the best way to treat yourself. As my Dad likes to say "I have cancer, it doesn't have me."

Let the good times roll!
Daughter of Dad with Stage IV CC

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:10 pm

..."AttaBoy" !!!! :mrgreen:
...actually have been watching your posted odometer readings and have been waiting for this one.

Knowing you, this particular laurel has already been rested upon enough and you are now off to conquer 10,000 as you continue to inspire.

Best wishes on the Journey
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

JulieG

Postby JulieG » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:31 pm

Inspiring! Thank you for sharing your story and miles.
Julie
Age 53 at DX 8/24/11
Stage IV colon cancer
mult. liver mets
9/11 colon resection, Folfox till 3/12
5FU till 9/12 - CEA increasing
Folfiri 10/12 - Erbitux added 12/12
Bone Mets, Lymph nodes CEA still rising
Looking at clinical trials, scheduled for SIRT

mymom

Postby mymom » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:45 pm

Congratulations on your milestone!
Stage 4 CC DX 5/11
colon/livr rsct 5/11(1 met)
Folfox July-11/11
NED to 5/12
New Primry BC-4/12,Stage 1
2 livermet 5/2012
Liver rsct,HAI 6/12,Folfiri
NED to 10/13,1 liver met,ablation, Folfiri
NED to 12/14, another spot
3/15 NED
Ablation 1 liver met 10/15
1/16-current NED
6/22- small spot liver again, ablation oct 2023

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:45 pm

Sorry, but you get an 'atta boy' anyway; cancer or not - that is freaking awesome.

And I hope others will get from this - that you don't have to ride 9,000 miles on your bike to feel you've achieved something despite cancer. The point is to do SOMETHING - don't let cancer stop you from doing the things you are passionate about. You may have to tweak your routine, do things with help, or explore activities that better fit your lifestyle at this point in time. But just don't stop.

I just ordered a seed catalogue to start planning my 2013 garden. The work seems overwhelming, but I can (and will) recruit help. My family and friends will help - and will share in the bounty come fall. We'll make a work/play party out of cleaning up the property in preparation for spring planting. I'll do what I can - my friends will do the rest. It will create good times, memories and a wonderful therapeutic environment for me.

Congrats Brownbagger - you have always been a tremendous inspiration to those of us here on the board and with all the news folks finding their way here, I'm glad they can hear your story too.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

skypup

Postby skypup » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks, BB, for the inspiration. And attaboy!

When diagnosed, I did what we all probably do: think about what I would wish I'd done more of if I died quickly. For me, it was hiking in the mountains with Sky, the most incredible heart-dog ever. :wink: Since then I've walked many hundreds of miles above 8000'; not bad for a gal from flat East Texas. I think I'll make a count of how far I've traveled on foot so far since Dx, and keep it current with my fitbit. I'll add it to my signature with a silent nod to you for your good example.

Ride, BB, ride -- for many more miles!

justin case

Postby justin case » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:29 pm

OK, I've picked on you enough, not. With all your accomplishments this year, of which I truly am in awe, I've decided BB, is no longer appropriate. I'm thinking, LB, as in Lance Bunyun. Maybe you can just ride through the forest this year, and save some wood for us :roll:
Warm regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

jean60

Postby jean60 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:17 pm

You, sir, are a class act. I know you didn't post looking for "atta boys" but may I tip my hat to you? Truly, this is a post I (like another poster indicated) will read again. It reminds me of something I need to do a much better job of keeping in mind. Thank you.

Jean
Dx Rectal Cncr 5/12
Stage III
5 weeks Chemo (5FU) & Radiation completed
LAR with temporary ileostomy 9/12, complete response
Began FOLFOX 10/12. oxil reduced after tx 1, eliminated after tx 2. Now 5FU.
Finished 1/13
Ileostomy reversal 5/13

Nanette
Facebook Username: Nanette Pepperday-Derry

Postby Nanette » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:28 pm

Great advice, Eric! Live your life like it's going to be a long one is so right on. I know I just posted about a CEA number the other day and was a little worried, but that thought came and gone real quick! Especially after reading all my CC buds replies!! :D

I love your attitude, Eric!

Hugs,
-Nanette
Last edited by Nanette on Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Husband, Bruce - diag. 12/07/08 at age 50
Stage IIIB CC, poorly diff, muc. adeno, sig. ring cell
Stage I bladder cancer
1 of 17 LN affected
Colonectomy 12/11/08
Finished chemo/rad on 8/19/09
Four years NED on 12/11/12 - Thank God!!
Livin' life!!!!!!

scattered edge
Facebook Username: Rosie Englebert-Elmore

Postby scattered edge » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:43 pm

I appreciate your attitude. Thank you for posting your 9,000 miles ... that is beyond awesome. ..you certainly are an inspiration to me.

When I was diagnosed in Feb '11 I had a goal to make it to a horse show in September.. not only did I make it to the show, the day before I received my second clean bill of health - my champion horse carried me to the winner's circle and I received my first belt buckle. It was probably number 500 for him :mrgreen: sadly that was his last show as he was not strong enough to keep going. He was honorably retired.. he's enjoying complete retirement in Montana :D

I am so very grateful to you for sharing your achievement -- thinking in my mind I need a new bucket list --thanks for the inspiration :D

Rosie
resection 2/11/11
T3N2M0 (17/24LN)
joined the IV olympians ..... 7/12 mets to distant nodes
mets to pancreas, liver, spine
chemo for life, panitumumab for now

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”