Very frightened 21 year old girl... :(

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
justin case

Re: Very frightened 21 year old girl... :(

Postby justin case » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:41 am

sailboatssink wrote:I'm going to get it checked tomorrow, I'm pretty scared. My symptoms haven't changed. Still can't really pass gas, and having a hard time going number two. Nothing hurts, but I cannot eat. Keep getting more and more frightened even though I'm trying to stay calm. I had a rectal exam on Saturday, and the doctor didn't say anything so I'm going to assume it's normal. I get pain in my rectum when I push to try and go to the bathroom. I just wish I was able to have a normal BM. Trying to calm down, I feel like such a hypochondriac. Sigh.

I just want you to understand that a Gastrointestitinal doctor, works with the whole digestinal tract. He or she should be able to identify, or at least track down your problem, from acid reflux, to colon cancer. What I guess I'm trying to say is, they do more than just colonoscopys. At your age it could be anything. I hope things settle down for you.
Regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

sailboatssink

Postby sailboatssink » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Hi, I just want to thank everyone for helping me through this, even though I don't have a diagnosis yet. :( My symptoms are pretty unchanging, and I've noticed I get some cramping in the morning before I have to go to the bathroom. My BM's however, are still skinny, small, soft and hard to get out - and I ususally have to go about 4-8 times a day to feel somewhat empty. I want to see a GI doctor, but no one had referred me yet. My doctor, on Friday, stethascoped my tummy, and said I had great sounding bowels, and she felt my tummy and didn't feel anything palapable. She said she wasn't going to bother with an x-ray cause she doesn't believe anythings there. She did order me some blood work, which I'm getting done tomorrow. However, my anxiety and stress is only slightly relieved, if at all. Because obviously my symptoms are still here, and are still quite bothersome. I'm seeing another doctor, who is my boyfriends and his family's doctor, on Friday - but that seems so far away. I just wish these issues were either resolved, or identified by now. Never imagined that not being able to poop properly would cause so much grief, lol.

Ktwirls

Postby Ktwirls » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:36 pm

I would stop going to general family drs or the ER, go to a GI dr asap, call a GI dr directly to get an appt. Your dr listening to your stomach sounding normal doesn't mean nothing is wrong and even with blood work it can come back normal, mine did and I was stage 3 cancer with normal blood work. Yes, the odds are in your favor that it is not cancer but clearly something is going on and even if it is not cancer it should be fixed and dx and a GI is the person to look into this. I really think it is wasting time and causing your suffering to stick with a family dr or even going to another family dr. I would just tell the family dr that you want a GI dr and not back down (does your insurance require a referral? if not call a GI dr yourself and get an appt) I would say here is all my symptoms and dr would live like this for months and not go to a GI dr?? Make it personal to them and advocate for yourself, remember how awful you feel to help you press for a gi dr and answer and you need a scope done.
Kim Ann, mom to 6
dx May 2010 age 37 (symptoms started in pregnancy age 36)
Rectal Cancer stage 3b T4,N1
FolFox 8, chem/rad 6wks
It came back March 2014
APR w/ PPE surgery, now on chemo
Back with rising CEA since Feb.2020 now 137
http://cancercaughtme.blogspot.com/ (haven't updated in years!)

justin case

Postby justin case » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:41 pm

Ktwirls wrote:I would stop going to general family drs or the ER, go to a GI dr asap, call a GI dr directly to get an appt. Your dr listening to your stomach sounding normal doesn't mean nothing is wrong and even with blood work it can come back normal, mine did and I was stage 3 cancer with normal blood work. Yes, the odds are in your favor that it is not cancer but clearly something is going on and even if it is not cancer it should be fixed and dx and a GI is the person to look into this. I really think it is wasting time and causing your suffering to stick with a family dr or even going to another family dr. I would just tell the family dr that you want a GI dr and not back down (does your insurance require a referral? if not call a GI dr yourself and get an appt) I would say here is all my symptoms and dr would live like this for months and not go to a GI dr?? Make it personal to them and advocate for yourself, remember how awful you feel to help you press for a gi dr and answer and you need a scope done.

What she said!!!
Regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

sailboatssink

Postby sailboatssink » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:52 pm

I live in Canada, so even though I can make a direct app with a GI, if I do I'll be on the waitlist for months. In order for me to get in any quicker, I need a referral, which I will be inquiring/demanding at my next appointment - and hopefully I can get in soon...

hannahw

Postby hannahw » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:48 pm

What you're going through is stressful, for sure, but in addition to the GI symptoms that got you to seek a diagnosis in the first place, your stress/anxiety may be adding to your symptoms. It's easier said than done, but do try to calm down. Go out and do some other things so you can give yourself something else to focus on. Being active will not only help relieve stress, it is also a good way to get your bowels moving.

The next time you see your GP, ask for a referral to a GI. Don't take "no" for an answer. But in the mean time, give yourself a break. The stress your putting yourself under is not going to make things better. There are many, many things that could account for your symptoms that are not cancer related.
Daughter of Dad with Stage IV CC

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:54 pm

Ktwirls wrote:I would stop going to general family drs or the ER, go to a GI dr asap, call a GI dr directly to get an appt. Your dr listening to your stomach sounding normal doesn't mean nothing is wrong and even with blood work it can come back normal, mine did and I was stage 3 cancer with normal blood work. Yes, the odds are in your favor that it is not cancer but clearly something is going on and even if it is not cancer it should be fixed and dx and a GI is the person to look into this. I really think it is wasting time and causing your suffering to stick with a family dr or even going to another family dr. I would just tell the family dr that you want a GI dr and not back down (does your insurance require a referral? if not call a GI dr yourself and get an appt) I would say here is all my symptoms and dr would live like this for months and not go to a GI dr?? Make it personal to them and advocate for yourself, remember how awful you feel to help you press for a gi dr and answer and you need a scope done.

Ditto!!!

Just like Ktwirls, I too had blood work that came back normal. I had occasional rectal bleeding that my Dr confirmed were my hemerroids. All those test that should have been a red flag for colon cancer came back negative or normal. When all was said and done, my Dr figured my occasional rectal bleeding would be a good excuse to get my baseline colonoscopy early in life and that is how they found my stage III rectal cancer.

If you are having problems passing a bowel movement and your PCP is not concerned, it's time to find a new Dr. I'm not saying you have cancer, but I do believe there is a problem and seeing a GI doctor and getting a colonoscopy would be a step in the right direction. Don't give up until you find the cause of your problem. You should not have to suffer.

Edited because I forgot to add, that referral from my PCP for that colonscopy in all likelyhood probably saved my life. Not sure what would have happen if I had waited till I was 50 for my first colonscopy. I don't think I would have made it to 50. Like I said earlier, if your Dr is not addressing your issues, it's time to find a new that will.

Good luck, keep us posted. We are here to help.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

mrdeltoid

Postby mrdeltoid » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:19 pm

If this problem has persisted for quite some time a colonoscopy is in order. Based on the description of your symptoms you could be suffering from irritable bowel syndrome type-c, but this is difficult to say without a proper evaluation. Understandably, CC is something most doctors will dismiss on account of your age, and it is very improbable, but nonetheless a thorough investigation is justified.

I'm in Canada too and I know how slow things move medically. If you're not able to arrange a consult with a GI doctor in a reasonable amount of time I'd return to the ER and insist on a colonoscopy. Failing a colonscopy insist on an abdominal CT scan. Demand one. Exaggerate the pain you're experiencing if necessary and add that your appetite has deteriorated because of this.
24 years old
Underwent right hemicolectomy on March 4, 2011 for IBD-related stricture
Diagnosed with stage IIB CC on March 25

sailboatssink

Postby sailboatssink » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:04 am

Thanks guys. I hope it's nothing too serious, but these symptoms are annoying. It's pretty frustrating how slow things go in Canada with the health system, but I'll just keep pushing. I have someone close to me who was diagnosed with colon cancer in the sigmoid, and is going through a lot, but seems to be putting up a good fight, and not letting it bother him too much. He's quite a bit older than me, (50's) but I know young people aren't invincible. I'll get these tests done, and try to relax. If it's not cancer, then that's fantastic news, if it is, I'll get through it and just stay as healthy as I can. I'm so glad there is a forum like this for those who need it, especially the young people diagnosed. Thank you for your support while I'm going through the waiting game. :)

Yellowbird
Facebook Username: Laura Yarbrough Abbott

Postby Yellowbird » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:16 am

Please know that there are other reasons why you may be having this problem...it is most likely not colon cancer. Drinking lots of water? Eating lots of fruit and veggies? Hot teas? They help.

My best friend, who just turned 50, has had trouble with constipation for years, decades even. She's had colonoscopies aplenty and no colon cancer! She sometimes goes for a week without having a BM. Then she started juicing. She juices carrots, celery, and apple, and that keeps her regular, plus it is just really good for you. You can get a juicer at Costco for not too much money, but more expensive juicers are worth the money. My husband paid around $80 for mine and it works fine. My friends diagnosis is irritable bowel syndrome. Many, many doctor visits and tests keep confirming no cancer.

Keep trying to find a good doctor, one who won't dismiss your symptoms, or because of your age. I would insist upon a colonoscopy. And try the juicing...it really does help.
Dx stage III July '10
Colon resection August '10
8 rounds Folfox
dx stage IV peritoneal carcinoma May 11
HIPEC Aug 11
Mop up folfiri with avastin
July 12, liver mets multiple metastases

sailboatssink

Postby sailboatssink » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:42 pm

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

I know I probably sound like a broken record, but I need to vent. It's going on day 15 of these symptoms, and they don't seem to be getting much better, and I'm really tired of it - and freaking out all at the same time. I got blood work done today, and I've been feeling very off. I had two BM's this morning, one being the size of roughly my index finger, and one being spaghetti thin. No sign of visible blood. I still can't pass gas properly, if at all, but I don't have any noticeable pain. I've never been so scared in my life. Seeing someone close to our family being diagnosed with CC, and then having these symptoms, it really scares me... And I have so many "what-if" thoughts. I'm not hungry, and don't want to eat at all. I've done everything, RestoraLAX (MiraLax), Mineral Oil, Exlax, Prune Juice, Fibre, everything, and not an inch of relief. I get more and more frightened each day, and I can't sleep. I need answers soon...

I had a break down earlier, I cried quite a bit, and still am a little bit - like I said I've never been so frightened by symptoms in my life. Seeing a new doctor on Friday, I want tests done ASAP, I can't really handle this feeling anymore. I feel awful, and I've put my life on hold. :(

Thanks everyone for listening,

Take care x

Leanne

Angiemarie2000
Facebook Username: Angela.boles

Postby Angiemarie2000 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:24 am

Get to a GI doctor ASAP. Don't give up, you need answers.

Angie
5/12- @ 37 DX IV KRASmt
5/12- R. Hemi
6/12- Folfox/avastin-(Bad Reaction)
6/12- xeliri-7rds
CEA-DX @ 80 then 11,10,7,14,25,210,340,540,900
12/12-R. Ovary removed
01/13- folfox 4 rounds
03/13- folfox failed, in liver failure, starting regorafebin.

hannahw

Postby hannahw » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:52 am

I feel awful, and I've put my life on hold.

Maybe with your symptoms, this isn't possible, but one of the best ways to deal with anxiety is to NOT put your life on hold. Keep living. Fill your day with activities you enjoy. When you put your life on hold you're giving your brain way too much time to go to bad places (that probably aren't even realistic possibilities). Most GI related symptoms are NOT cancer. You need a diagnosis so you can deal with the underlying cause, but it's most likely something pretty benign.
Daughter of Dad with Stage IV CC

sailboatssink

Postby sailboatssink » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:20 pm

I'm starting to feel a little better, however I've been having bouts of diarrhea the last couple days. I have had close to a normal BM, a couple times, though - but usually my BMs are small and skinny and small amounts. I had a BM today that was orangey-red in colour and it frightened me, but I did eat salsa so I am contributing it to that. It seems like I can pass gas a little better too. Appetite is getting better also, and my tenesmus isn't as intense. However, I have had to go to the bathroom at least 4 times a day all in small amounts. I don't feel bloated, no pain, and from what I can tell, no obvious blood in my stool. My blood tests were normal, and I recently went to my GP who told me to try fiber, stool softeners, etc... Seemed to improve things slightly, but not too much. She told me to come back if I do not start experiencing normal bowel movements (within 2 weeks), and she will then order a colonoscopy. I have made the appointment, and now I'm kind of frightened for the colonoscopy, but happy that it will give me answers to these horribly uncomfortable symptoms.

Yellowbird
Facebook Username: Laura Yarbrough Abbott

Postby Yellowbird » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:45 pm

A word about your diet...

Hope you are eating lots of fresh fruit. And when the doctor says fiber...do NOT eat popcorn...I was a popcorn ADDICT, would eat whole bags day upon day. Those little hulls build up in your colon and they are not good! Think about how difficult the hulls are to get out of your teeth! I ate tons of popcorn days before I was sent to the E-room with a total blockage. This is NOT the roughage you need.

Have you tried juicing yet? That will really help you!

I've been thinking about you. Diet is everything. Eat as close to natural as you can...nothing processed...lots of water...

Take care sweetie.
Dx stage III July '10
Colon resection August '10
8 rounds Folfox
dx stage IV peritoneal carcinoma May 11
HIPEC Aug 11
Mop up folfiri with avastin
July 12, liver mets multiple metastases

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”